How do I convince frriends to cruise?

toothmaker

Maybe you should just stop and leave them alone. I suspect that they are getting totally sick and tired of you carrying on about how wonderful cruising is and wish that you would just be quiet.

Let me slightly rephrase your post -

"How Do I Convince My Friends to try Sky Diving

I LOVE skydiving .. it seems as if no matter what I say or explain I don't have any luck ....."

Get my point.

DON

I should point out in response to my own post that although we have taken maybe 10 cruises (Alaska 3 times {once on a small ship that held 50 people}, New England on a 150 year old sailboat, Antarctica, the Caribbean {once was enough}, Greenland and Iceland, the Baltics), we also take driving trips that can be as long as 2 - 3 months. At the end of these long driving trips, my wife and I are still talking to each other. I love to drive.

We have done Australia (3 months), Alaska (2 1/2 months), the British Isles (4 weeks) and I want to spend maybe 1 - 2 months in New Zealand. Quite frankly, I like the extended driving trips much better than the cruises although we do enjoy both. Sometimes we even combine a cruise with an extended land trip. Last summer we did a 10 day Baltic cruise which was begun with a 20 day driving trip to parts of England and followed by 7 days in London.

The thing I totally dislike about taking cruises is that you only get to spend a day or sometimes a really short day in a place instead of the 3 - 4 days that we like to spend in any location. There is no way that you can ever get any sense of a place in the few hours that you get to visit the place on a cruise. You have no flexibility to change your trip itinerary at all which is the reason that I would never ever take a CruiseTour. Finally, when you take a cruise, you never get to see anything that is more than 3 - 4 hours from a port. That leaves out a whole lot of the world that cruisers will never see.

DON

I've had it go both ways, love/hate and I don't encourage anyone. I've had people decide on their own because I love it so much they would give it a try. One couple really did not like it, they decided on their own, no help from me, thank goodness!

I've actually told a few people to really do some research/homework before going on a cruise because knowing them, their lifestyle I'm not convinced they would like it.

My mailman saw all my travel mail and asked me about cruising so I gave him some books/magazines. He and his wife have gone on 3 or 4 now and they love it.

I agree, let them make their own decisions.

We talked about how much we love cruising so much that dh's sister and her husband decided to take an Alaskan cruise based on our recommendations. They hated it, and they couldn't understand how we could love cruising. Now every time we tell them that we've booked a cruise they try to convince us to take a land trip of some kind because "we're stuck in a rut with cruising".

Don't put too much effort into it...you will only wind up frustrated.

We know a couple....if you ask the husband about cruising....his wife doesn't want to go.....if you ask the wife...her husband doesn't want to go.

There can be financial issues that no one wants to admit and there can be prejudices and phobias that, again, no one wants to disclose.

Let your friends know that they are welcome, but don't get too intense with your encouragement. When/if they change their thinking about a cruise, you will know it.

We even had one couple tell us they wish they had know about our cruise to Hawaii. Then when we tried to get together to talk about planning one for either '15 or '16 they just cooled off real quick. After the 2nd try at getting together (we live about 120 miles apart) it was obvious that they weren't ready. We told them that we will let them know about our next trips and if they are interested, ok if not ok! :rolleyes: Some do and some don't!

As someone else already posted, sometimes there are financial considerations. We went on our first cruise with 2 other couples, one of which had cruised before, but many years ago and only on Royal Caribbean. We were empty nesters and had the fun money available, but they didn't. So they got insides and we got a Caribe balcony (obviously I did lots of research on CC before we went:)) and they used our balcony. We had a good time, but the difference in spending was somewhat of a strain (excursions, meals, transportation, etc). Plus the couple who had cruised on RCI spent the entire time comparing Princess to RCI.

It was a fun trip, but I felt like we were responsible for everyone's good time and I'm not sure I'd do it again. Now if people want to come along, they are welcome, but I'm not trying to convince anyone. I love to plan our vacations, but I don't want to plan someone else's and then feel responsible if they don't have a fabulous time.

I LOVE cruising...It's seems that no matter what I say or explain I don't have any luck convincing friends or relatives to cruise with us or without us. Would love to have some of them experience the "Total Escape" with us How do I do it?:)

LOL, I checked this thread hoping for an answer not 2 pages of people telling you not to convince your friends. Someone convinced me and I am grateful. There is no way some TV commercial, email or regular mail would have convinced me to try cruising. A friend did. Keep trying.

This is really difficult because some people have pre-conceived notions about cruise ships and cruising fueled by sensational (and inaccurate and irresponsible) reports by the media. I'd print out some Patters and some menus so they can get a sense of the activities and what to do on the ship as well as what sort of food options there are. I'd print out itineraries and excursions on what you can do in port. Emphasize that you unpack only once yet you get to go to several places and see a variety of things. Compare the cost of a cruise vs. a land vacation with all that's included on the cruise.

It's an uphill challenge. Some people are adamant that they'd hate it. :(

:) Pam

Yep. That was me. :eek: The only way to convince me I didn't hate cruising was for me to (finally) give in and say, "Yes, dear" and let my talk me into booking a trip to Alaska in 2011. When I got off the ship after the cruise I wanted to get right back on and go again. Sometimes the only way to realize you love cruising is to try it.

Then again, some people try cruising and, for whatever reason, decide they really do hate it. I know people who tried cruising and booked a Caribbean cruise on Carnival. It was overrun by drunken "young adults" and the people really hated it and will never cruise again.

Yep. That was me. :eek: The only way to convince me I didn't hate cruising was for me to (finally) give in and say, "Yes, dear" and let my talk me into booking a trip to Alaska in 2011. When I got off the ship after the cruise I wanted to get right back on and go again. Sometimes the only way to realize you love cruising is to try it.

Then again, some people try cruising and, for whatever reason, decide they really do hate it. I know people who tried cruising and booked a Caribbean cruise on Carnival. It was overrun by drunken "young adults" and the people really hated it and will never cruise again.

This was what I was thinking the whole time reading this thread. What cruise did they take that they hated so much? Bf's first cruise was a booze cruise out of LA on Carnival. Too much drinking, seasick, barfing, etc he vowed never to cruise again. After much convincing from me, we finally tried the Allure. He was not impressed with the ports except St Thomas (we went to St John) and we totally overpaid ($1200pp) but still he was open to trying another one. Next one was on CB last Nov and we have found that what he likes is the itin not the biggest ship with all the bells and whistles. He had a blast, and happy bf means I'm happy. Now we have an 11 nt booked for this Nov. Now I've got him hooked, but took a bit of convincing and I was a bit nervous he's hate it. If he did hate it, then next vacation would be his choice. Glad it worked out this way though!

However, I am glad to hear people who at least try it. I always wonder about people who have not tried certain things (like food) but say they know they hate it.

Hi

I am the ultimate cruise sceptic ,and really did not get into it at all on our first cruise and have decided to give it another chance with a different product.

Worst points sea days are REALLY BORING

Best points you unpack and repack once

I am convinced cruiselines are like airlines you need to try a couple until you find one you like.:)

I LOVE cruising...It's seems that no matter what I say or explain I don't have any luck convincing friends or relatives to cruise with us or without us. Would love to have some of them experience the "Total Escape" with us How do I do it?:)