Issues with gluten-free dining

First of all, my wife and I are not celiac so although we both benefit from eating gluten-free, we won't get really sick if we break our diet.

Breakfast and lunch were fine, the Windjammer and Jade offered sufficient variety that we could avoid pizzas, pastas, cereal, pancakes and sandwiches (although, and we did, we could order gluten-free pizzas from the onboard pizza joint, the name escapes me). The dinner menu in the dining room identified the items as gluten-free (lactose-free, vegan, etc) so we could make a choice. However, the rolls were not so when we asked for gluten-free bread, we were given it but it also identified us as gluten-free and we were treated as such and at first, this seemed to be a benefit because we got to see the next evening's menu ahead of time to identify what we wanted to eat and give the chefs time to ensure that we were given it gluten-free.

However, as in the case of the battered fish and chips, they didn't try to offer the equivalent but simply removed the flour-based batter and served us deep-fried fish that was horrible. We also were only given baked potatoes and that became boring after the first couple of dinners. When I tried to tell our waiter that I wanted xxx for dessert, despite the fact that it wasn't gluten-free, but our waiter wouldn't allow it, liability issues was the reasoning. In my case, all that would have happened was that I would have had a bloated stomach (very mildly uncomfortable but no more so that having more food than I should).

Next time, I won't identify myself as gluten-free but simply choose gluten-free items from the menu and break the diet when tempted by a particular item, knowing full well the consequences.

Edited by thebeerfamily

My comments are not about finding a way to eat gluten-free but rather how the kitchen poorly accommodated our needs: they could have made the fish batter with a gluten-free alternative and they could have allowed me to break my diet but they didn't.

Unless you have Celiac disease, there is NO BENEFICIAL reason for being on this diet.....as a matter of fact....there are more calories, fat....etc. ....in a Glutton free diet. This is the FAD of 2012 to present date that people think is beneficial...I am sooooo tired of hearing about it. ONLY 1% OF THE COUNTRY HAS CELIAC DISEASE. .

Edited by champagne123
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

So, you're complaining that they were too vigilant about following the restrictions you told them needed to be followed? Now I've heard everything.

I certainly do appreciate the humour in what I have said. I also know that those who really do need gluten-free for serious medical reasons, would appreciate the vigilance on the part of the waiters. However, just like some people who choose to eat vegetarian, we choose to eat gluten-free and have seen benefits from it. The staff didn't ask us if it was to accommodate a medical necessity, they just assumed. They could have, when I asked to have a dessert with gluten in it, just warned me or recommended against it, and that would have been fine, I would have thanked them for looking out for me and if I still wanted to have that dessert, I would have told them that.

But that is only part of my complaint: the other part is that the quality of our meals suffered because they simply removed the "offending" component rather than substitute it with a gluten-free alternative. Would a celiac person not eat battered fish and chips? No, they would use a gluten-free batter. This option wasn't taken.

Part of the problem with the "advance menu" was that it had no symbols for gluten-free, lactose-free, etc so I assumed that I could have anything listed and that they would modify it to create as similar a meal as they could but without the gluten. They did with the bread, they provided a (more than) suitable alternative, no so with some of the meals.

Unless you have Celiac disease, there is NO BENEFICIAL reason for being on this diet.....as a matter of fact....there are more calories, fat....etc. ....in a Glutton free diet. This is the FAD of 2012 to present date that people think is beneficial...I am sooooo tired of hearing about it. ONLY 1% OF THE COUNTRY HAS CELIAC DISEASE. .

Now here is a diet needed on a cruise! :D

Most meals are not cooked "on order", the kitchen is a well-run unit even for those gluten free foods.

Did you order the fish & chips ahead of time or was this a snack that was not pre-planned with the kitchen? If it was an un-planned snack it is unrealistic if you to expect that the kitchen would have a gluten-free batter available and for them to cook your food at that time. It would involve not only the gluten-free batter but also ensuring that the oil it was cooked in was clean and had not been exposed to other gluten products.

Considering the amount of special diets that the kitchen is asked to accomodate (vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, peanut allergies) I think they do an amazing job to meet needs.

I have celiac disease and have always been looked after very well by royal.

I think people who don't need to eat gluten free but pick and choose will confuse the waiters. It's also a little selfish eating gluten free items such as the bread when there is a limited supply for those who need it. Royal request that people with special dinning requirements inform them in advance so they can plan ahead and supply the ship accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's an incredibly arrogant thing to claim.

I have been tested for celiac with negative result.... however I do not tolerate gluten..... or rather my stomach doesn't. It is not a fad.... believe you me I miss bread and pasta VERY much indeed and this is not a choice I have made easily. I worry less about the calories.... this has nothing to do with weight whatsoever where I am concerned.

To the OP.... you have told the ship that you require GF food, they will not risk your health or wellbeing by knowingly feeding you food with gluten. Next cruise go eat in WJ if you want to go off diet where they won't know you from Adam.

That's an incredibly arrogant thing to claim.

I have been tested for celiac with negative result.... however I do not tolerate gluten..... or rather my stomach doesn't. It is not a fad.... believe you me I miss bread and pasta VERY much indeed and this is not a choice I have made easily. I worry less about the calories.... this has nothing to do with weight whatsoever where I am concerned.

To the OP.... you have told the ship that you require GF food, they will not risk your health or wellbeing by knowingly feeding you food with gluten. Next cruise go eat in WJ if you want to go off diet where they won't know you from Adam.

Well....you are the arrogant one. People seem to think that Gluten fee is "better for you" or lower calorie......good for diets...etc. NO...IT IS NOT. Go online..get the facts.....wrong wrong wrong.

Wrong! Non-celiac gluten senisivity. Google it. Both my sister and my daughter were having celiac type symptoms and were told by their respective physicians that while they couldn't diagnose the problem they ruled out Celiac. My daughter put herself on a gluten free diet and it eliminated her symptoms. As a result, my sister put herself on a the same diet and also saw relief. So maybe it's not just a FAD as you call it.

Well....you are the arrogant one. People seem to think that Gluten fee is "better for you" or lower calorie......good for diets...etc. NO...IT IS NOT. Go online..get the facts.....wrong wrong wrong.

I am the fact.

Gluten upsets my stomach, sometimes disastrously. It has nothing to do with calories which I don't count.

I think people who don't need to eat gluten free but pick and choose will confuse the waiters. It's also a little selfish eating gluten free items such as the bread when there is a limited supply for those who need it. Royal request that people with special dinning requirements inform them in advance so they can plan ahead and supply the ship accordingly.

We didn't know that we had to let them know in advance, our travel agent told us that gluten-free would be accommodated without issue so we left it at that.

Unfortunately, I think that when the OP (and others likes this) wish to eat gf sometimes and other times not gf, this can really confuse the issue with servers, restaurant personnel and companies that work hard to try to understand the issue with gluten while balancing the legal ramifications of calling something gluten free. People with gluten sensitivity/celiac have worked so hard to have servers understand their issue, and when people do use it as a fad or another temporary diet/lifestyle and are not strict with the diet, this unfortunately sends the wrong message for the people who truly do have a medical issue as servers/companies may be more lax in the future with providing information or giving correct info.

Yes, you can have a gluten sensitivity and not have celiac disease. Some people can cheat and not have symptoms or will have tolerable symptoms. Some with celiac disease have no symptoms. Yes, it is also true that many GF replacement foods (baked goods, etc) have more calories and are not any healthier than the gluten-containing versions. Some absolutely cannot cheat and if they do or get accidentally contaminated can be affected for up to 24-48 hours (not sure if some experience issues longer than 48 hrs...my husband is usually fine after 48 hrs). Everyone's symptoms range wildly--but for those that absolutely cannot have gluten, it is awful and can ruin a vacation--who cares what you call it.

That being said, having a gluten free batter is a bonus--it's not something I think most seasoned celiacs and gluten sensitive people would demand. As the popularity has increased, it's been a blessing to have so many more options available. With being 10 years gluten free, it has gotten much easier to eat out of the home. But not having access to gf everything is unfortunately the lifestyle--does it suck to not have the exact same type of food offered gf? Yes--but there are sacrifices with this diet--and being able to eat something that is safe (GF), seasoned and flavored, IMO, is better than a piece of bland unseasoned chicken and some steamed unseasoned broccoli.

I think the biggest thing we've learned over the last decade is to be appreciative when you can get GF baked good extras and companies go our of their way to accommodate GF. Servers, places may not always get things right, but use the opportunity to (nicely) educate. Companies don't have to and we don't want them to revert because of too many nasty customers or when the fad moves on to the next big thing.

I am not Celiac but I do have Hashimoto's Autoimmune and can not have gluten because it raises my antibodies. For me it is not a fad.....I would much rather have gluten.

I have celiac disease and have always been looked after very well by royal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Some people react to the the fructans not the gluten (celiac) in wheat. Contamination may not be a big issue for these people. Some may not be able to tolerate eating wheat products, others may have have some dependent upon what they can tolerate. Based upon what you are saying, those people who may tolerate some wheat must all be gluten free if they choose to go on a cruise and eat in the dining room, and restrict themselves to the buffet when they choose to have a bit of a wheat product, or restrict themselves altogether.

Edited by Sanz

This is not necessarily true. Tests for celiac test for one or two antibodies. But there are 24 antibodies that can respond to gluten. You can test negative for celiac, but still express antibodies for gluten which can trigger inflammation.

I was thinking the same thing because I recently researched this and there is no proof that the general public benefits from this diet. Also, there is even gluten in toothpaste so going completely gluten free is expensive as well as difficult.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/going-gluten-free-just-because-heres-what-you-need-to-know-201302205916

We didn't know that we had to let them know in advance, our travel agent told us that gluten-free would be accommodated without issue so we left it at that.

It's best to select the gluten free option on your RCL profile so they will have it on file. It just takes a few seconds to update your food preferences online.

There is no doubt that some people have medical reasons for eating a gluten free diet. There is also no doubt it's become a popular fad and many people who have no reason to are going "gluten free" for no good reason.

http://www.livescience.com/36863-gluten-free-diet-healthy.html

Edited by bouhunter

It's best to select the gluten free option on your RCL profile so they will have it on file. It just takes a few seconds to update your food preferences online.

Although its not good to do that and then complain when they won't ignore it at your whim while you're on board!

I cannot comment on RCI (yet) but on Carnival the staff bent over backwards to ensure that my BF's brother (who has celiacs and type 1 diabetes) got several choices each night and worked to let him know what he could and couldn't have in both the MDR and the buffet. From my experience, the MDR will do everything in their power to make the passengers happy but most people with celiacs will understand that not everything will be available on a ship.

People who request gluten free but then want to eat gluten give the rest of us a black eye - it makes us look like we all can "cheat" if we want to. I'm celiac, I can't cheat even though I dearly want to sometimes. If you just prefer gluten free, then don't mark that as a NEED on your form ahead of time and just select items that are gluten free and save the GF options for those of us who truly do NEED it.