HAL Specialty Dining Venues Question.

juanotero79

First I want to say that I am really excited about my first HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam!!! Can't wait for Spring Break!

I was looking at the different packages you can buy for the cruise on the cruise line booking page and they have a specialty dining package for all three restaurants (Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind and Canaletto) for $50.00 per person. Is it worth it? Do I save money by buying this package? or, Is the food at the Main Dinning Room so good you don't really need to pay extra for this type of venue?

I have been on specialty dining venues on Carnival Cruises before and it was great! However, the food from the main dining room in HAL looks fantastic already... what do you HAL cruisers think???

:rolleyes:

This is really subjective but I would purchase individually. Canaletto is no better than MDR. The real bargain is Tamarind and worth every penny of the surcharge. Their lunches are also great dim sum and are complimentary. If you like steaks, Pinnacle is far better than anything you would get in the MDR.

I would definitely do it. A huge value. Separately it would be $29 for Pinnacle, 20 for Tamarid, and $10 for Canaletto. Saving $9 with package.

Enjoy your first HAL cruise. We loved our first in December and going back in a couple weeks. You will have a great time. Things are much more laid back and the service is really the best for the price in the cruise market.

I would definitely do it. A huge value. Separately it would be $29 for Pinnacle, 20 for Tamarid, and $10 for Canaletto. Saving $9 with package.

Enjoy your first HAL cruise. We loved our first in December and going back in a couple weeks. You will have a great time. Things are much more laid back and the service is really the best for the price in the cruise market.

If you purchase this package, do you know if also get the appropriate Mariner discount?

If you purchase this package, do you know if also get the appropriate Mariner discount?

Good question.

I hope someone knows the answer.

We wouldn't like buy it as Five Star we get two Complimentary Pinnacle Dinners but I am interested in the answer.

Even though I posted the menus for both the Eastern and Western itineraries for the Nieuw Amsterdam, after looking at them we were not impressed with the menus. We had booked a couple of dinners in the Pinnacle and a couple of dinners in the Tamarind. Right away we made more bookings for both of those specialty restaurants.

After having gotten bad service and horrible food in the Canaletto on the Maasdam, we chose not to eat at the Canaletto.

Good question.

I hope someone knows the answer.

We wouldn't like buy it as Five Star we get two Complimentary Pinnacle Dinners but I am interested in the answer.

Back in December (I think that is the correct month) someone mentioned about getting the Pinnacle package where you got 2 Pinnacle dinners for $45 (now it is $52).

I called Ship Services and asked about this. I was told that 3, 4 and 5 Mariners can not buy the packages and expect extra savings.

Back in December (I think that is the correct month) someone mentioned about getting the Pinnacle package where you got 2 Pinnacle dinners for $45 (now it is $52).

I called Ship Services and asked about this. I was told that 3, 4 and 5 Mariners can not buy the packages and expect extra savings.

Thanks, KK, for taking the time to call HAL. No discounts on the dicounts -- to be expected.

We ate at the Tamarind 3 nights on our Holiday cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam -it's our favorite restaurant at sea. Here's a link with the menu and photos:

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/02/03/a-look-at-the-tamarind-restaurant-menu-on-holland-americas-nieuw-amsterdam/

We also love the Pinnacle Grill, especially on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

The Canaletto has a new menu; however, we've never been impressed with the atmosphere or service, as it just seems like you are dining in the Lido and the waiters can't wait for you to leave so they can set up for breakfast.

One way or the other, you should book your reservations ahead of sailing as they are very popular and often sold out.

OP, your cruise is 1 week? I probably wouldn't want to miss almost half of the regular meals, but that is just me. Will you be traveling with children? If so, the routine and having their familiar servers might be good.

But PG was good and I am definitely in the minority with this, we liked Cannaletto as well. I have not been on a ship with the third one but it sounds great.

I would probably wait until I was onboard and decide then.

We ate at the Tamarind 3 nights on our Holiday cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam -it's our favorite restaurant at sea. Here's a link with the menu and photos:

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/02/03/a-look-at-the-tamarind-restaurant-menu-on-holland-americas-nieuw-amsterdam/

We also love the Pinnacle Grill, especially on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

The Canaletto has a new menu; however, we've never been impressed with the atmosphere or service, as it just seems like you are dining in the Lido and the waiters can't wait for you to leave so they can set up for breakfast.

One way or the other, you should book your reservations ahead of sailing as they are very popular and often sold out.

If you have time and are so inclined, would you mind very much to send your pics of the menu of the Tamarind in to pictures@halfacts.com Those menus would be a great addition to the site and of course, full credit is given to the cc member:D Thank you:D

I have only tried two venues....Pinnacle and Tamarind. The Pinnacle was very good but not exceptional. The Tamarind was outstanding, IMO. But then again, it is a matter of taste, literally. If you love Asian food, like we do, Tamarind will be your favorite. If you are a steak person, the Pinnacle is for you. The Pinnacle's steaks looked absolutely fabulous......but it was too much meat for either my DH or me, unfortunately, so we didn't order it. We had fish when we dined there, which was very good.