Photos of Our Snowy Getaway Sail-Away from NYC

KJE Atlanta

I have to ask, why just to Nassau? Why wasn't this a 3 day cruise into Miami via Nassau? Why did Pax have to get off in the Bahamas?

Wouldn't that violate the old law against transporting passengers between two U.S. ports on a foreign flagged ship without a stop in a "distant foreign port"?

Wouldn't that violate the old law against transporting passengers between two U.S. ports on a foreign flagged ship without a stop in a "distant foreign port"?

You're referring to the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886. Nassau, as part of the Bahamas, is considered to be a nearby foreign port under the law. Therefore, NCL would have committed a transportation violation by carrying passengers between New York City and Miami via Nassau.

The relevant portion of the Act:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title19-vol1/pdf/CFR-2012-title19-vol1-sec4-80a.pdf

Photos of Our Snowy Getaway Sail-Away from NYC...

We were on the 2/3-2/5 sailing of the Getaway from NYC to Nassau. Snowstorm him NYC on Monday morning. There were only about 400 to 450 passengers on board and we heard that just over 100 missed the sailing due to the snowstorm and shut down airports. I'll try to work on a more detailed review later (we had an awesome time and loved the ship), but wanted to go ahead and share these snowy photos...

a_zpsc6931191.jpg

b_zps0b9972b0.jpg

c1_zps26f7c6b7.jpg

c_zps77a20284.jpg

d_zpsb52813ca.jpg

e_zps9b7f108b.jpg

Thank you for sharing your pictures.

I don't think I would want to sail out of New York/New Jersey in the winter months.

Great pics! We were on the Breakaway in December and we had snow the first night (not that much though!) Some of the staff had never seen snow...staff and kids were in Spice H2O making snowmen and having snowball fights! The next morning by 11 kids were on the waterslides...

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

For us Tri-state area folks - it is a blast.

No need for airfare - can book a last minute cruise and just drive there.

Of course - not being able to get into the pools the first day or so is a bummer but there is always so much more to do - like just relax and chill.

Correct. Sailing out of Miami year round there's not much need for cold weather cover. Well...except when sailing out of NY for your first trip :)

I have to ask, why just to Nassau? Why wasn't this a 3 day cruise into Miami via Nassau? Why did Pax have to get off in the Bahamas?

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe a customs issue?

You're referring to the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886. Nassau, as part of the Bahamas, is considered to be a nearby foreign port under the law. Therefore, NCL would have committed a transportation violation by carrying passengers between New York City and Miami via Nassau.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title19-vol1/pdf/CFR-2012-title19-vol1-sec4-80a.pdf

I really wish they would repeal this! I hate planes. I would just LOVE to travel from my port city to others by ship, as a simple mode of transportation, and not on a closed loop cruise!

Edited by Medtech2

I really wish they would repeal this! I hate planes. I would just LOVE to travel from my port city to others by ship, as a simple mode of transportation, and not on a closed loop cruise!

Learn to live with it. Politicians have lost elections for even proposing limited exemptions. Although the requirements to register ships under the US flag have relaxed in recent years, I doubt the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 is going to change very much anytime soon. In fact, NCL is one of the large players who ensures the PVSA's longevity. If the PVSA goes, so does their monopoly on weeklong Hawaii cruises, which provides NCL with their most profitable ship in the fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you for taking the time to post these really fun, surreal photos! Now if your camera could manage to capture our 'outside deck' at home here with the same dramatic change in 24 hours, I would be most grateful!!

It can happen - keep your fingers crossed. Just did here today. We have been in a cold snap for well over a week with snow off and on and off and on the whole time. Yesterday we awoke to a bitter -17 and we managed to top out at 3. This morning, -9 and we topped out at 45. Could not believe how fast it warmed up. Didn't fully melt the 6 inches of snow by nightfall, but came close.

OP - thanks for sharing those pictures. I don't think I would sail from a snowy port - I have to fly to all cruises anyway and I love stepping off the plain in a much warmer winter than the one I left.

Edited by ferfoodle

Wouldn't Victoria BC be considered a nearby port??:confused: