GTY advice :)

DebbieMacG

What would you do? I've got cabin 1126 on the Infinity a cat 9 Inside cabin one of the new ones added on deck 11 when they did the refit. There is a gty rate available for inside cabins now that is $250 per cabin less and Celebrity will give me the price reduction but obviously I would then have to go "back in the pot" for another cabin.

For my sailing there are no cat 12's left 7 cat 11's, 10 cat 10's and 35 cat 9's.

Before anyone suggests a balcony (which I normally take) they are $3250 extra! And this is supposed to be a cheap cruise (we do one where we spend a lot and one where we spend a little:D )

I've done an inside before and it was fine so I'm happy to take whatever there is.

What would you do? I've got cabin 1126 on the Infinity a cat 9 Inside cabin one of the new ones added on deck 11 when they did the refit. There is a gty rate available for inside cabins now that is $250 per cabin less and Celebrity will give me the price reduction but obviously I would then have to go "back in the pot" for another cabin.

For my sailing there are no cat 12's left 7 cat 11's, 10 cat 10's and 35 cat 9's.

Before anyone suggests a balcony (which I normally take) they are $3250 extra! And this is supposed to be a cheap cruise (we do one where we spend a lot and one where we spend a little:D )

I've done an inside before and it was fine so I'm happy to take whatever there is.

This just happened to me. My assigned 2C balcony price had dropped, and only guarantee is available. I contacted my TA and he updated my final price and kept my assigned cabin (it is a sweet 16 on the M class, and I don't want to give it up)

My experience with guarantee's is that we have always gotten the lowest available category. Fortunately we have always been able to move to the best location within that category so it has worked out. My guess is that you will get a cat 11. If there is nothing in a cat 11 that you would be happy with, keep your current cabin and keep an eye on availability. Insides seem to be the best bargain theses days as inventory are high due to their ineligibility for the 123 promo.

This just happened to me. My assigned 2C balcony price had dropped, and only guarantee is available. I contacted my TA and he updated my final price and kept my assigned cabin (it is a sweet 16 on the M class, and I don't want to give it up)

That is the opposite of my experience. I also had a Sweet 16 and switched to a guarantee but my Sweet 16 had to be released back into inventory when I took the guarantee. Because it can take quite a while to get an assignment, I grabbed my Sweet 16 and put it on courtesy hold. Within 2 days, I was assigned a 2C and then my TA was able to release the cabin on courtesy hold and switch me back to it.

We got the cat 9 as a Gty in the first place so I was very pleased with it. I was surprised they would let us have the lower price and can understand that we would need to be allocated again, just wondered if anyone would take the $250 or keep the cabin (as I'm thinking of doing)

Thanks for the replies :)

Seems to me that if you'd be happy in any inside cabin, then why not save the money and take the GTY? I would only avoid a GTY if I couldn't live with the "worst" cabin in that category.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the inventory that you find on line. Unless it's very close to sailing, categories come and go when people cancel or switch categories.

We got the cat 9 as a Gty in the first place so I was very pleased with it. I was surprised they would let us have the lower price and can understand that we would need to be allocated again, just wondered if anyone would take the $250 or keep the cabin (as I'm thinking of doing)

Thanks for the replies :)

I'd take the $250 :D

When you booked a guarantee you were willing to accept any cabin they might assign you. To me you will be in the same boat (no pun intended) but have $250 more in your pocket.

And don't forget, while you may not get the same cabin, you may get one just as nice.

We find the 11th deck to be very pleasant. $250 worth of pleasant? I'm not so sure. I think I would take the money unless you like hanging out in the WC!!!:) Is this a seven day cruise?

It's 14 night cruise :) whilst I say I would be happy in any inside cabin (and I would have been ok with a cat 12 had it first been given) I do wonder if having had the deck 11 cabin allocated, once onboard I would wish I had that rather than the $250

Thanks for the advice, one minute I want my original cabin, the next I want the cash lol

Edited by DebbieMacG

Hmmmm. For a 14-night cruise, I might stick with the cabin on the 11th deck since you'll be closer to the action on the pool decks and cafe. If you take the GTY and end up on deck 2, you'll spend half the cruise in the elevator! Avoiding the elevators, if that's an option for you, or spending less time crammed in them, would be worth $125 a week IMHO. :)

Edited by squidward

I'm embarrassed to admit to my ignorance: But, what's a "sweet 16"?
That is just a nickname Cruise Critic people use to refer to the first 8 balcony cabins on each side of deck 6 on the M-class ships because they have larger balconies than others in the same category.

We stayed in an inside cabin on the Vista deck midship -- the BEST inside cabins ever. If you qualify, maybe ask if you can pay for a cat 10 and get a cat 9. These were also added way back when and are much larger inside cabins. We stayed in 7903 and thought it might be an issue when we noticed our cabin door opened right into the elevator vestibule -- I was frightened. It honestly was the best inside cabin ever....we enjoyed it immensely. But keep it a secret, would you?? :D

That is the opposite of my experience. I also had a Sweet 16 and switched to a guarantee but my Sweet 16 had to be released back into inventory when I took the guarantee. Because it can take quite a while to get an assignment, I grabbed my Sweet 16 and put it on courtesy hold. Within 2 days, I was assigned a 2C and then my TA was able to release the cabin on courtesy hold and switch me back to it.

Seemed that worked because you got the assignment so quickly. I've done a lot of guarantees and sometimes I've waited months for an assignment.

The next time I take a guarantee, I may try this system.

Thanks. M

It's 14 night cruise :) whilst I say I would be happy in any inside cabin (and I would have been ok with a cat 12 had it first been given) I do wonder if having had the deck 11 cabin allocated, once onboard I would wish I had that rather than the $250

Thanks for the advice, one minute I want my original cabin, the next I want the cash lol

For a 14 nighter I'd keep the cabin on the 11th deck. See how easily I made up your mind for you?:p

Hmmmm. For a 14-night cruise, I might stick with the cabin on the 11th deck since you'll be closer to the action on the pool decks and cafe. If you take the GTY and end up on deck 2, you'll spend half the cruise in the elevator! Avoiding the elevators, if that's an option for you, or spending less time crammed in them, would be worth $125 a week IMHO. :)

I agree. You will be a few steps from the outside door to the Sunset Bar. Swing through the bar to the OV Café. :)

Didn't you answer your own question?

Yes with this :)

whilst I say I would be happy in any inside cabin (and I would have been ok with a cat 12 had it first been given) I do wonder if having had the deck 11 cabin allocated, once onboard I would wish I had that rather than the $250

Edited by DebbieMacG