In Melbourne today Mon 17 Feb 2014

17qm_zpsef13d324.jpg

Great capture David. I did not know it was a live webcam until today....lol. I'm going to try and watch her leave "live" at 1700 local, if I can get on the webcam. Must see if there's a wrbcam for Brisbane at "Luggage Point/Fishermans Island/Grain Terminal....it's called so many names, not the flashest of wharfs that's for sure.

Jill:)

Four more sleeps for us......can you tell I'm a tad excited...:)

A big thank you to Sandi who will be putting my blog up on here. I have been asked to put it on my Facebook page too so she will paste from there to here for me. I will check in on here along the way so any questions about QM2 please just ask.

Just tried to access the live webcam in Melbourne today to watch her depart but can't get on the site....everyone must be queueing for their turn on the webcam...:)

Jill:)

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

Yep. But that isn't what is showing on their tickets.

Now I understand.

There will be no facilities for embarking at Webb Dock , so you will report to wherever the tickets say, (I assume it will be Station Pier,) and you will be processed there and put on a shuttle over to the ship.

When we boarded in Sydney a couple of years ago we had to go to Glebe Island where a huge marquee had been erected. We went through Customs and Immigration there and then onto a catamaran which took us to the ship and we got our cruise cards in the Queens Lounge Ballroom.

Also for transit passengers there will be no access to Webb Dock so the shuttle will ferry you back and forth.

For security there will be no public/passenger access to the Webb Dock, other than the Cunard arranged shuttle.

This happens quite a lot overseas..In Singapore once , Diamond Princess was at the container wharf and we reported to a building that was used for the Singapore Grand Prix. In Santiago/Valparaiso we reported to a Hotel. I have also seeen Hotels used for Civitavecchia for Rome.

Now I understand.

There will be no facilities for embarking at Webb Dock , so you will report to wherever the tickets say, (I assume it will be Station Pier,) and you will be processed there and put on a shuttle over to the ship.

When we boarded in Sydney a couple of years ago we had to go to Glebe Island where a huge marquee had been erected. We went through Customs and Immigration there and then onto a catamaran which took us to the ship and we got our cruise cards in the Queens Lounge Ballroom.

Also for transit passengers there will be no access to Webb Dock so the shuttle will ferry you back and forth.

For security there will be no public/passenger access to the Webb Dock, other than the Cunard arranged shuttle.

This happens quite a lot overseas..In Singapore once , Diamond Princess was at the container wharf and we reported to a building that was used for the Singapore Grand Prix. In Santiago/Valparaiso we reported to a Hotel. I have also seeen Hotels used for Civitavecchia

for Rome.

I remember when we boarded Celebrity Mercury at Ensenada in Mexico to cruise to Sydney we had to check in at a hotel and then were transported to the ship some 15 minutes drive away.

Jill

Now I understand.

This happens quite a lot overseas..In Singapore once , Diamond Princess was at the container wharf and we reported to a building that was used for the Singapore Grand Prix. In Santiago/Valparaiso we reported to a Hotel. I have also seeen Hotels used for Civitavecchia

for Rome.

I remember when we boarded Celebrity Mercury at Ensenada in Mexico to cruise to Sydney we had to check in at a hotel and then were transported to the ship some 15 minutes drive away.

Jill

Two more sleeps and she'll be docking at the Grain Terminal:( to pick us up. What a place for first time visitors to Brisbane to have to arrive at.

Can't wait. :)

Jill

Glad you are looking forward to your trip. Sounds great. I agree the Brisbane terminal is not real attractive. I know these things are expensive to build, but Brisbane needs to get a welcome mat out. People are pretty Blah about the grain terminal.

Bon Voyage Jilly. I share your excitement for such a great ship.

A couple of hints...

*A good forward viewing deck is available on Deck 11. It is accessed through the library and then the Atlantic Room. Not many people go there . The Atlantic Room is very "hushed" with serious readers or people having a little kip.

*Ride the glass elevator from the side of the Commodore Club.

*On the top deck (13?) there is a raised platform in front of the funnel that you can climb up on. Its wonderful for a sailaway especially when the Captain blows the horn as you are right under it.

*also on that deck is the Boardwalk Cafe. Worth checking out just to see if anyone is there . On both our cruises I never saw anyone using it .

*Plenty of places for pre dinner drinks. We used to go to the Commodore Club at the start. Very nice. ......but then found that it was quite a hike to the dining room, so you had to leave earlier otherwise you would arrive late at the table. There are several very pleasant choices just outside, and on both levels of , the Dining Room.

*The King Court buffet can be a bit baffling for a while . Its huge and the choices are amazing.

You are in for a great cruise.:)

A couple of hints...

*A good forward viewing deck is available on Deck 11. It is accessed through the library and then the Atlantic Room. Not many people go there . The Atlantic Room is very "hushed" with serious readers or people having a little kip.

*On the top deck (13?) there is a raised platform in front of the funnel that you can climb up on. Its wonderful for a sailaway especially when the Captain blows the horn as you are right under it.

*also on that deck is the Boardwalk Cafe. Worth checking out just to see if anyone is there . On both our cruises I never saw anyone using it .

*Plenty of places for pre dinner drinks. We used to go to the Commodore Club at the start. Very nice. ......but then found that it was quite a hike to the dining room, so you had to leave earlier otherwise you would arrive late at the table. There are several very pleasant choices just outside, and on both levels of , the Dining Room.

*The King Court buffet can be a bit baffling for a while . Its huge and the choices are amazing.

Thanks so much for the tips David. I have copied them all, and will check them all out. :)

We are on second sitting so will enjoy the sailaways out of deck.

Jill :)

A couple of hints...

Last time we were on QM2 - I paced out the corridor on the deck that our inside cabin was on -- 440 paces!! :) It's a BIG ship indeed!!!

Barry

Just off QM II in Sydney after 7 day cruise ex Freo .

Pax ex England and South Africa said they had some rough seas between Mauritius and Fremantle. Also same pax said there was a minor mechanical issue for a short time in that sector. As a result more speed was put on and arrival in Freo one day earlier than planned to fix issue.

QM II is a lovely ship, great service, lots of space. Great educational lecturers, and great entertainment . Lots of dining choices . Brittannia Restaurant, great food and service with a conventional menu . Kings Buffet an upper class buffet operation .

Italian, Indian & Asian cuisines are offered here on a rotating basis at night in a separate area at a $ 10 surcharge. The Italian and Asian offerings were excellent .

Todd English a surcharge restaurant we found to be a ponderously rich heavy menu in typical American tradition . (This is a US Personality Chef operation.)

QMII only cruises at 17 - 18 knots, the 28 knots is just put on for the Trans Atlantic crossings .

Overall a nice cruise experience with great staff, and the boat is very well maintained albeit is now 10 years old .

• 3 weeks later...

From The Age today:

This is the glamorous view from the Queen Mary 2 right now - containers! She had to pull into Webb Dock, not Station Pier, because there was no room at the inn. So Melbourne has really turned on the charm for the largest ship to ever visit us - and it's just started to rain.