disembarkment FLL

sunshade

There are a gazillion threads about early flights but if you want the primer here goes....

Self disembark - you must be responsible for your luggage from cabin to cab. That might entail toting your luggage on the stairs to deck 5 where you will be among the first to leave the ship. It will be crowded and there will be those who get there early, leave their luggage, and go for breakfast blocking the atrium. You will also be advised to use the crowded elevator if you cannot maintain one hand on the escalator rail and maintain control of your luggage.

Fill out your customs and immigration forms accurately and completely. Keep all receipts in an easy to find place. If you exceed your customs allowance add 20 minutes. This would include the purchase of liquor or cigarettes above the allowance. Do not carry off any illegal items like drugs or Cuban cigars, ivory coral etc. Do not wear any new or flashy jewelry.

It is worth an internet charge to check in with your airline and pay any baggage fees. This can generally be done at the 24 hour mark. You can also have a trusted friend or family member do it too.

Take a cab. It's less expensive than a cruise ship transfer anyway and far faster.

The biggie of course, is handling your luggage.

If you think that there is any chance you are going to miss your flight because you can't use the self disembarkation procedure or the ship is late, call the airline immediately. Most airlines have a "flat tire" rule and will assist with alternate flights, almost always hours (or days) later with the cost differential added, but at least you will not be considered a NO SHOW with the prospects of purchasing an entirely new ticket. So keep the airline's number handy.

I don't mean to be mean spirited but please plan your flight home from your next cruise at a more stress free time.

I truly hope you enjoy your cruise.

Was wondering if anyone has had any problems/delays with disembarkment out of FLL after their Constellation Cruise. We are flying on Southwest on a Thursday with 10:45am flights to Buffalo.

we were on the Equinox disembarking on 31 jan. We were off the ship at 9 am and joined the line for customs. we got through at 11:30 am and took a taxi to the airport arriving at 12:15 The person ahead of us had a 12 o,clock flight and missed it

We had NO problems disembarking from Silhouette. We were the 3rd or 4th group to get off the ship and that was at 8:30. By the time we got outside to get on our bus for our excursion, it was about 9:00. If you self-disembark, you'll probably make it.

Good luck!

Disembarked Constellation leaving cabin with our luggage 7:40 am took elevator down

No lines anywhere

Got to car 8am

We were on jan 25 sailing

Not saying it is always this quick -- this is our experience this time

Happy sailing

Went out of FLL on the Solstice a year ago and it was the the worst disembarkation in 30 + cruises! Long lines, outside, then inside the terminal with only 2 customs agents on duty...then the chaotic scene at the cab stand! By all means, carry off your own luggage as soon as possible and hope for the best. We will never use this port of exit again! It seems that the big RCCL mega-ships at the adjacent new terminal have no problems at all and everyone can exit quickly. The terminal Celebrity ships use is archaic and ill-equipped for a fast, expeditious disembarkation!

Was wondering if anyone has had any problems/delays with disembarkment out of FLL after their Constellation Cruise. We are flying on Southwest on a Thursday with 10:45am flights to Buffalo.

There was a very similar thread a couple of days ago but in that thread the person who started everything asked about the Eclipse.

We were on the Eclipse and disembarked January 11th. On that Saturday there were several cruise ships in port all of which had to get the passengers ashore at roughly the same time. We left the ship around 10:00 or so. The disembarkation was well organized and it it didn't take a terribly long time to get through customs. There was a VERY long line to get cabs, really long. It was close to a thirty minute wait to get a cab.

Still, no problem for us because we had a mid afternoon flight. We went to Ernie's for lunch and then to the airport. Now for the really bad news. The line to go through security at FLL was so long that it took us 55 minutes. We had no problem because of this lengthy delay but many were not so fortunate. How long will the line be to get through security when you leave Ft. Lauderdale? I don't know but it will depend directly on how many ships are in port that day.

Hope this info is helpful.

;):);)

I would give the OP probably an 85-95% chance of making it. So much depends on Customs, how many other ships are in, etc.. Also depends on whether you have any kind of priority security clearance as a frequent flyer. If you do not, you could get caught in some long security lines at the airport. I think SWA lets you switch flights without a penalty. If it were me, I would pick a later option if I could find one at a similar price range. If not, keep your fingers crossed and have back-up options at the ready. It would not hurt to see what the next flights may be, and how many vacant seats they have if needed.

Cruise lines have pretty clear guidelines about latest arrivals and earliest flight departures that should be followed. The earliest recommended flight from FLL is 11:30AM. Granted, these guidelines are for guests with cruise transfers, but I think they should be followed.

I am going on Silhouette in 2 weeks. 11 family members are flying in and out of Buffalo on Southwest and they chose the 5PM non stop. It was just less of a risk. They'll do a post cruise excursion.

Since Southwest lets you make changes for free, I'd recommend trying to move to the later flight to have an easier disembarkation.

I did the self disembarkation once on another line and it left a lot to be desired.

we were on the Equinox for jan 20th cruise, returning to FLL on a Friday. We had filled out our departure information form and our flight was out of Miami at 12:30. We chose to use Celebrity transportation at a cost of $30 each. We were given Group 1 for getting of the ship and told to report to the threatre area at 8:00 a.m. on Friday morning. We went by 7:30 and were told to disimbark at 7:50. My husband and I found our luggage immediately, we had three pieces and got in line for customs. There were about 6 agents. We were through in 10 minutes and when I looked back to see how the long the line was, I would say that there were a couple of hundred people. We then got on the bus, but sat for one hour waiting for the other passengers. I would not make a reservation an earlier than noon. As said previously, save you for having the stress.

Disembarked Constellation leaving cabin with our luggage 7:40 am took elevator down

No lines anywhere

Got to car 8am

We were on jan 25 sailing

Not saying it is always this quick -- this is our experience this time

Happy sailing

Sounds like our disembarkation that same day-we were off the ship shortly after 8, and at our car before 9. Very fast, much quicker than I ever expected it to be.

On Feb 8 Saturday - by far the most crowded day - self disembark; got to deck 3 at 7:10, off ship at 7:15, waited in line watching 2 (!) customs civil servants having coffee and BS ing with each other before starting work. Out of the building and in our taxi at 7:40. Can't imagine you'll have a problem making the flight since you're not on Spirit, but no down side to an extra day in Ft Lauderdale if headed north to the snow and ice.

We left our room with all our luggage on the 11th floor of the Reflection at 0650 (early walk -off was from 0700 to 0715) on Feb 8, 2014. We took the elevator to the 5th floor where there was no line and then went through Customs where there was no line and then went to the cab line where there was no wait and arrived at the airport at 0730. We never thought about being late for a 1015 am flight. We did the exact flight last year without any issues. If you do early "walk-off" with your luggage there should not be a problem. In my opinion Miami is such an easy and stress free port.

On Feb 8 Saturday - by far the most crowded day - self disembark; got to deck 3 at 7:10, off ship at 7:15, waited in line watching 2 (!) customs civil servants having coffee and BS ing with each other before starting work. Out of the building and in our taxi at 7:40. Can't imagine you'll have a problem making the flight since you're not on Spirit, but no down side to an extra day in Ft Lauderdale if headed north to the snow and ice.

This is very helpful. :) We will be on the Connie and disembarking on a Saturday. Plan on taking advantage of self-disembarkation. However, we do not plan on getting off the ship until about 9:00 for a 1:00 flight out of PBI.