Formal Dining Questions

sktwirler

I am traveling with a group of 6 people on RC at the end of March for 7 days.

-We are not interested in dressing up for dinner.

-We have the My Dining Times

-I schedule two night in the main dining area Day 2 & Day 28

What I want to make sure is that we don't have to dress up and it's not during the captains dinner. I am so confused on how this dining thing works.

Thanks for responses.

I'm confused, if it's a 7 day cruise, what does day 28 really mean?

Day 2 will probably be a formal night, but that doesn't mean you have to dress up, assuming dress up means tux or suit. MTD has the same suggested dress as regular dining.

I am traveling with a group of 6 people on RC at the end of March for 7 days.

-We are not interested in dressing up for dinner.

-We have the My Dining Times

-I schedule two night in the main dining area Day 2 & Day 28

What I want to make sure is that we don't have to dress up and it's not during the captains dinner. I am so confused on how this dining thing works.

Thanks for responses.

what do you mean you have 'scheduled 2 nights in main dining area'?

the dress code is the same for the MTD as it is for traditional seating. your options are to eat in the buffet or a specialty restaurant on Formal nights if you don't want to even wear a tie,

Formal nights are usually the first full day on board and the second to last night.

How "dressed up" do you want to get? Shorts aren't appropriate for dinner in the dining room on ANY night. Docker style pants and collared shirt for men, and capris, skirt, sundress or slacks for women on casual evenings.

On a 7 night cruise, you have 2 formal nights....not everyone will be wearing suits or tuxes...but some will. I guess it depends on your comfort level as to how "dressed down" you want to be. If you choose not to go to the dining room on those nights, there is the buffet, or a specialty restaurant you could wear casual clothes to....

If you'd rather wear shorts to dinner every night, then the buffet is where you'll want to eat.

Shorts are ok for breakfast and lunch in the dining room,tho!

If you wear a nice pair of Dockers/dress pants and collared shirt you will be FINE eating in the MDR on ALL nights, including formal. We stopped doing "dress up" a few years ago on our cruises and still enjoy the MDR and specialty restaurants without tux or ties. You will see a lot of folks dressed as you are that way in all venues.

I've never worn jeans or shorts in the MDR but have seen it done, but very rarely. Nice pants and collared shirt will be just fine for you and your group. Enjoy your dining, whoever you decide. Remember, it's your cruise:).

"If you wear a nice pair of Dockers/dress pants and collared shirt you will be FINE eating in the MDR on ALL nights, including formal. We stopped doing "dress up" a few years ago on our cruises and still enjoy the MDR and specialty restaurants without tux or ties. You will see a lot of folks dressed as you are that way in all venues.

I've never worn jeans or shorts in the MDR but have seen it done, but very rarely. Nice pants and collared shirt will be just fine for you and your group. Enjoy your dining, whoever you decide. Remember, it's your cruise."

I don't always reply on dress code threads, but when I do I try to say something thoughtful and priductive.

When you purchased the cruise you knew that there would be two formal nights. On every ship there are now multiple venues that do not suggest formal attire on those nights. If don't want to join the party, then go to one of those casual venues. Those who choose not to participate in the event don't ruin it, but they do make it less special, and they take away from the work of the staff and the extra effort of their fellow criusers to make those particular night something unique and distinct. Of course you can get away with doing less, but remember: it's not just your cruise, there are thousands of fellow cruisers on the ship. Your choices can influence thier enjoyment of certain events during the week.

If you dont want to make an effort to be a part of what Royal is trying to accomplish at a particular venue at a particular time, go do simething else.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Edited by SamFritz

It always astounds me when folks say the cruise is less enjoyable because of someone else's behavior, be it dress code at dining or anything else. If your vacation is less enjoyable because of others behavior then you're better off , IMHO, staying at a place you can completely control, like a vacation rental.

We're certainly not the most seasoned cruisers, D level on RCI, but we have cruised a bit and "formal" night on RCI has certainly changed since we started. We did the tux thing in the beginning but now just don't do that anymore.

To suggest to others where they should dine and limit their vacation experience because it bothers you, because of a "suggested" dress code, to me is a little too much. On the last 2 cruises we did, I'd say at least 20% dressed smart casual for formal nights.

And, BTW, the first time we decided not to dress formal on formal night, we informed our waitress we wouldn't be dining in the MDR that evening because of the dress code. She was ADAMANT we come to the MDR and eat. She told us that she truly enjoys her job and also enjoys sharing the experiences of the day with us. Also everyone at the table said the same thing. Of a table of 10, 2 couples did not "dress up" but wore nice pants and collared shirts and nice dress for the ladies. It didn't ruin or bring down anyone's experience and certainly did not minimize the effort the staff puts in to make every night special.

"It always astounds me when folks say the cruise is less enjoyable because of someone else's behavior, be it dress code at dining or anything else. If your vacation is less enjoyable because of others behavior then you're better off , IMHO, staying at a place you can completely control, like a vacation rental.

We're certainly not the most seasoned cruisers, D level on RCI, but we have cruised a bit and "formal" night on RCI has certainly changed since we started. We did the tux thing in the beginning but now just don't do that anymore.

To suggest to others where they should dine and limit their vacation experience because it bothers you, because of a "suggested" dress code, to me is a little too much. On the last 2 cruises we did, I'd say at least 20% dressed smart casual for formal nights.

And, BTW, the first time we decided not to dress formal on formal night, we informed our waitress we wouldn't be dining in the MDR that evening because of the dress code. She was ADAMANT we come to the MDR and eat. She told us that she truly enjoys her job and also enjoys sharing the experiences of the day with us. Also everyone at the table said the same thing. Of a table of 10, 2 couples did not "dress up" but wore nice pants and collared shirts and nice dress for the ladies. It didn't ruin or bring down anyone's experience and certainly did not minimize the effort the staff puts in to make every night special"

We are obviously coming from two different perspectives, and will not come to any agreement here.

To be clear, I did not use the words "ruin, less enjoyable, or bothers" in my post. What I said is that the Royal Caribbean, and your fellow passengers are trying to create a certain environment and that your lack of participation in that effort takes something away from their effort. You have the right to do that, but why would you? Your answer is, "It's my vacation." What you fail to recognize in that statement is that is also "their" vacation.

Rather than me going to a vacation rental, perhaps you should. After all, you are the one who is resisting the plan in which most of us are quite happy to participate.

I'm sure that you didn't "ruin" anyone's vacation, but you can not say that you didn't "bring it down." You don't know that for some couple who has waited a lifetime for one special trip, that the formal night, with all its trappings, might be a memory of a lifetime. And then in the background of their photo is someone who is just not playing along. Not ruined, but less than it might have been.

"If you wear a nice pair of Dockers/dress pants and collared shirt you will be FINE eating in the MDR on ALL nights, including formal. We stopped doing "dress up" a few years ago on our cruises and still enjoy the MDR and specialty restaurants without tux or ties. You will see a lot of folks dressed as you are that way in all venues.

I've never worn jeans or shorts in the MDR but have seen it done, but very rarely. Nice pants and collared shirt will be just fine for you and your group. Enjoy your dining, whoever you decide. Remember, it's your cruise."

I don't always reply on dress code threads, but when I do I try to say something thoughtful and priductive.

When you purchased the cruise you knew that there would be two formal nights. On every ship there are now multiple venues that do not suggest formal attire on those nights. If don't want to join the party, then go to one of those casual venues. Those who choose not to participate in the event don't ruin it, but they do make it less special, and they take away from the work of the staff and the extra effort of their fellow criusers to make those particular night something unique and distinct. Of course you can get away with doing less, but remember: it's not just your cruise, there are thousands of fellow cruisers on the ship. Your choices can influence thier enjoyment of certain events during the week.

If you dont want to make an effort to be a part of what Royal is trying to accomplish at a particular venue at a particular time, go do simething else.

Here here!! Couldn't agree more. RC are trying to create an experience for passengers and for many it might be a once in a life time trip. If you don't want to be part of that experience why not go dine in one of the many restaurants that are not part of formal evening and let those who want to be part of the formal night experience get the maximum enjoyment from it. Its only 2 nights after all

There is NO requirement to dress up for Formal Night. None whatsoever.

As stated above, Docker-style pants and a shirt with a collar is acceptable for EVERY night in the dining room. Don't let anyone tell you to go somewhere else, your cruise fare includes meals in the MDR. Whatever reason you have for not wanting to dress formally is yours and yours alone and you do not need to justify or defend it to anyone.

To be honest, they will allow you into the dining room FAR below the bar of Dockers and Collars.

Of course they will allow you in with below suggested attire. The question is why do you want to ignore their suggestions? I believe that in most cases there is a measure of selfishness involved. I might equate dressdowners on a formal night to people using their cell phone in a movie theater. The theater strongly suggests that you shut your phone off, but there is no law requiring you to do so. So if you're ok with being that person, nobody's going to stop you.

Edited by SamFritz

Of course they will allow you in with below suggested attire. The question is why do you want to ignore their suggestions? I believe that in most cases there is a measure of selfishness involved. I might equate dressdowners on a formal night to people using their cell phone in a movie theater. The theater strongly suggests that you shut your phone off, but there is no law requiring you to do so. So if you're ok with being that person, nobody's going to stop you.

Do you always follow the the suggested dress? Do you wear a jacket and tie on smart casual nights and when dining in any of the specialty restaurants?

There is NO requirement to dress up for Formal Night. None whatsoever.

As stated above, Docker-style pants and a shirt with a collar is acceptable for EVERY night in the dining room. Don't let anyone tell you to go somewhere else, your cruise fare includes meals in the MDR. Whatever reason you have for not wanting to dress formally is yours and yours alone and you do not need to justify or defend it to anyone.

To be honest, they will allow you into the dining room FAR below the bar of Dockers and Collars.

That just about answers the question. Realistic post. Emphasis on realistic.

The only items that RCI say are not allowed at dinner, are shorts tank tops and flip flops. Even with that statement, I've seen lots of shorts and flip flops in the MDR at dinner.

We went on our first cruise in 2012 and I was a little concerned beforehand about the posh dressing up. However on our first formal night we felt so special in our attire, we came across the atrium area by accident (we didn't know this happened on the first formal night). The captain was there with his crew, free champaign and speeches, I thought it was magical with never experiencing this before, everyone looked beautiful.

I am quite laid back though so I don't mind what people wear and I would never dictate, having said that I might feel stupid if we were the only ones on our table dressed up.

We tended to wear our 'best' clothes every night anyway because I don't get much chance to wear them at home.

That just about answers the question. Realistic post. Emphasis on realistic.

The only items that RCI say are not allowed at dinner, are shorts tank tops and flip flops. Even with that statement, I've seen lots of shorts and flip flops in the MDR at dinner.

I wear a suit and tie to every meal personally (and that has been on previous Carnival cruises but no reason to think I'd behave any differently on the upcoming RCI cruise), but I'm used to it. Minimal dress code for where I eat out (when I do eat out) is dress pants, collared shirt, and jacket required.

With respect, the original poster asked questions as a matter of fact to clarify things that are new and unknown to them. They did not ask for either lectures or subjective viewpoints. Of course we are all free to share our thoughts on here, just like you did, and like I am doing directed at you, but the best course of action is always to provide the facts and then let original poster who asked the question conduct themselves in a manner they find works best for them.

Why would someone want to "ignore" suggestions? I believe that some people dress up every day for the other 51 weeks of the year and do not feel like doing so on vacation. Or with luggage fees they find that leaving that suit/tux/formal gown + assorted accessories at home makes for easier and less costly travel. I kind of believe that you imposing on people to dress formally or go elsewhere is far more selfish on your part than another person who does not follow a suggestion and yet is within the rules.

RCI is NOT Cunard. If you seek a dining experience that is formal, fancy, upscale, and of "old school" that may be a line that suits you better. RCI formal night is varied, loud, and chaotic. The food is bog standard and if anything service is delayed by people staggering in at longer intervals caused by increased photo opportunities.

For the record, on my last cruise I wore a dark suit Formal Night 1 and wore a sport jacket and slacks with shirt and tie on formal night 2. Because that is what I felt like doing. I do not own a tuxedo and would not spend to rent for one for the "occasion" of being with 1000 other guests for a banquet dinner in support, recognition, and observation of nothing. Same applies for the next cruise too. It is about what I enjoy and what makes me comfortable in that environment. I will always be within the rules and often above the minimum but I will pay no mind to any other guest suggesting I forgo my paid for meal to go pay for another meal so that they can enjoy being in a tuxedo.

Both formal nights I was out of my formal wear into casual resort wear about 10 minutes after dinner.

This might be almost as hot a topic as smoking. I'm with the people who like to dress up. Those who don't use lot's of excuses why not... "luggage fees"? Really? A suit or even just a tie will throw you over 50 lbs? No. I do it. I pack a tux, my wife packs formals, we bring enough clothes for 7 nights and we dress well for dinner. I don't bring jeans, I wear dress pants and dress shirts for casual nights, a sport coat and tie for smart casual, and a tux for formal night. And I have NEVER exceeded my luggage allowance.

"It's my vacation." Yep....mine too. We are on a ship of 2500 to 6000 passengers. What one does, DOES affect others. Otherwise, why not shorts? Why not bathing suits? Why not naked? It's my vacation afterall. What I do shouldn't bother you. Right.

It's true that these are "suggested" dress. But the cruiselines try to present an experience that you can't get elsewhere. Sure you can wear t-shirts and jeans on formal night. But it does detract from the experience. Should it? Don't know. But it does. We read about it all the time on these posts.

The comment "if you want formal go on Cunard," is stupid. Royal Caribbean asks that you dress formally twice a cruise. How about if you "don't want formal, go on a Windjammer cruise." They don't dress formally. See...it can go both ways.

Really, I know everyone is going to do what they want. It's inevitable. Just like everything else, cruising is deteriorating. We are seeing it become more and more "mass market." Too bad. Just like our culture, cruising is being "walmarted." No style, no sophistication, no "classy" or luxurious experiences. So be it.

It always astounds me when folks say the cruise is less enjoyable because of someone else's behavior, be it dress code at dining or anything else. If your vacation is less enjoyable because of others behavior then you're better off , IMHO, staying at a place you can completely control, like a vacation rental.

1. You must astound often and easily! :D
  2. Please remember this post if you're cruising and:

1. Someone sits down next to you and starts playing music you don't appreciate at a very loud volume while you're trying to relax
    2. Kids playing around the pool keep hitting you with their ball while you're trying to relax
    3. Someone at your table brings a tablet to dinner and insists on playing a game on it throughout the dinner, including loud sound effects
    4. Someone sits down beside your table at the bar and proceeds to have a loud conversation going on and on and on on their cell phone while you and your tablemates are trying to relax, and enjoy conversation.
    5. Someone sits nearby you at one of the evening shows and proceeds to talk throughout the entire show

Because - remember, it would ASTOUND you if YOUR cruise were less enjoyable because of someone else's behavior, be it dress code at dining or ANYTHING else! :rolleyes:

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Do you always follow the the suggested dress? Do you wear a jacket and tie on smart casual nights and when dining in any of the specialty restaurants?

I've weighed in enough in these ongoing "discussions" but I'll answer your question.

Yes, I do...

I've weighed in enough in these ongoing "discussions" but I'll answer your question.

Yes, I do...

Good for you. If we ever cruise together and we happen to eat in a specialty restaurant on the same night, I won't be the only one wearing a jacket and tie.

Good for you. If we ever cruise together and we happen to eat in a specialty restaurant on the same night, I won't be the only one wearing a jacket and tie.

Should we find ourselves on a cruise together, we should make sure to make that happen! :cool:

This might be almost as hot a topic as smoking. I'm with the people who like to dress up. Those who don't use lot's of excuses why not... "luggage fees"? Really? A suit or even just a tie will throw you over 50 lbs? No. I do it. I pack a tux, my wife packs formals, we bring enough clothes for 7 nights and we dress well for dinner. I don't bring jeans, I wear dress pants and dress shirts for casual nights, a sport coat and tie for smart casual, and a tux for formal night. And I have NEVER exceeded my luggage allowance.

"It's my vacation." Yep....mine too. We are on a ship of 2500 to 6000 passengers. What one does, DOES affect others. Otherwise, why not shorts? Why not bathing suits? Why not naked? It's my vacation afterall. What I do shouldn't bother you. Right.

It's true that these are "suggested" dress. But the cruiselines try to present an experience that you can't get elsewhere. Sure you can wear t-shirts and jeans on formal night. But it does detract from the experience. Should it? Don't know. But it does. We read about it all the time on these posts.

The comment "if you want formal go on Cunard," is stupid. Royal Caribbean asks that you dress formally twice a cruise. How about if you "don't want formal, go on a Windjammer cruise." They don't dress formally. See...it can go both ways.

Really, I know everyone is going to do what they want. It's inevitable. Just like everything else, cruising is deteriorating. We are seeing it become more and more "mass market." Too bad. Just like our culture, cruising is being "walmarted." No style, no sophistication, no "classy" or luxurious experiences. So be it.

papaflamingo, you and I think VERY much alike!

OP, simply remain within the RULES of no shorts, no flipflops, no swimwear, and you will be able to dine in the main dining room, that you paid your equally as valuable money as anyone elses for.

If Formal Night were a requirement they'd also be turning away anyone trying to enter a public venue/entertainment venue in resort casual wear; after all it IS Formal Night. Not "Formal for 20 minutes before dinner until 10 minutes after dinner".

As far as a "magical" evening or whatever, I am sure it is totally RCI just wishing for everyone to feel warm and happy, not that they want to sell more formal portraits or anything...

Me suggesting that if someone wants old-school style formality, civility, class, and world class experiences that you should try Cunard is certainly less offensive than people saying if you don't dress formal to go to the Windjammer. Now that is selfish behavior.

OP, simply remain within the RULES of no shorts, no flipflops, no swimwear, and you will be able to dine in the main dining room, that you paid your equally as valuable money as anyone elses for.

Ballcaps, don't forget no ball caps - forwards or backwards! ;)

Me suggesting that if someone wants old-school style formality, civility, class, and world class experiences that you should try Cunard is certainly less offensive than people saying if you don't dress formal to go to the Windjammer. Now that is selfish behavior.

Nope, those two "suggestions" are completely equivalent, if one is selfish, the other is equally so.