Considering Oceania for Black Sea cruise

perlgirlnj

We have taken several mainstream line cruises to the Caribbean & Alaska, and will soon have completed 3 Azamara cruises in the Mediterranean and Baltics. Now I'm thinking about next summer and would like to try Oceania for the Black Sea. I've been reading threads here for awhile but have some specific questions.

1. I think I'd like to try an O-class ship after having cruised 3 times on AZ's R-class ships. (I know Oceania's are getting refurbished so I wouldn't rule it out but I think I'd like to try a slightly bigger and newer ship.)

--For those who have done both lines, what would be the equivalent class to Azamara's V2 or V3 (really prefer V2)? For those who haven't taken AZ, that's a standard verandah in a good mid-ship location.

--I see something called Concierge Level--are they in a better location or are there actually amenities that make them worthwhile?

2. How soon after the 2015 itineraries come out do I need to book in order to get what I want? If I'm reading correctly, the summer 2015 itineraries come out in March, right?

3. Do the O-class ships even do the Black Sea? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to going O-class in Black Sea vs. R-class (different ports or fewer or more tenders or whatever)?

4. Is there a sticky or a particularly good post that explains how the "included airfare" system works? We've never booked an air-inclusive line and even when we've booked air through a cruise, we've always selected our own flights. I want to get a handle on how to do this, especially booking so far out.

5. Any other tips or suggestions I should be aware of as we start with a new line for us?

Thanks for any advice you have for someone thinking about dipping her toes in the Oceania pool!

I would say the B cabin are a bit larger than the standard balcony on the R class ships

Concierge may be worth it to some there are many threads outlining the advantages VS price

There are several threads on the Deviation process which a lot do re the "free Air"

Recommended if you want to spend time before or after the cruise

You can book as soon as the new cruises come out ... recommended is you want an inside Cat C & top suite you could probably wait a bit for the other cat

I would check the intineraries to see if the O class ships go where you want then decide

Enjoy

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

It's a bit tough to search for Black Sea cruises, but if you search for Eastern Mediterranean, and 8-21 days duration, then scroll through the list looking at the maps, you'll see that Insignia's doing this route once, and Riviera twice this year.

So you won't have a lot of dates to choose from--it may come down to that.

Terrific itinerary, btw. We didn't go as far as Sochi, but that should be interesting.

I'd first like to bring up the point that Oceania is not an all-inclusive cruise line. It does include more things than main stream lines but I would not compare it to true all-inclusive cruising.

While I am not familiar with a specific thread that explains free airfare, I that it is fairly straightforward. If you have a TA that regularly books customers on Oceania, that would help. Basically, Oceania will select flights for you - using their contracted carriers approximately three (or four?) months prior to the sail date. These flights may or may not be what you would have chosen for yourself. Oceania gives you another option:

For a deviation fee of $175.00/person you can book your flights 270 days prior to your sail date. The choices are limited to air carriers that Oceania is contracted with but could give you the opportunity to select specific flights that you would be happier with.

I just booked a flight using air deviation on Friday. First I checked into the flights for the dates I needed and printed a list of flights that I preferred. Then I called the air deviation department and asked if Oceania (or, in my case Regent - their sister cruise line) had a contract with the airline I wanted. Fortunately, they did and we were able to book the exact flights that we wanted.

We are pretty new to Oceania -- our first cruise was on the Riviera last year and we will sail the Riviera again this year. I am not familiar with the "O" and "R" designations (and feel that many newbies are not either), so I refer to them as the larger and smaller ships or newer and older:) Having studied the stateroom/suite sizes on both types of ships, it was easy for us to know that only a newer/larger ship would do.

For us, stateroom/suite size is what drove our decision -- not whether or not it had "concierge" amenities. We went with a penthouse suite and found it to be very comfortable and with lots of room for everything (after reading how little storage space there is in the smaller staterooms, I know we would not have been happy in anything smaller than what we had).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Travelcat2

I'd first like to bring up the point that Oceania is not an all-inclusive cruise line. It does include more things than main stream lines but I would not compare it to true all-inclusive cruising.

While I am not familiar with a specific thread that explains free airfare, I that it is fairly straightforward. If you have a TA that regularly books customers on Oceania, that would help. Basically, Oceania will select flights for you - using their contracted carriers approximately three (or four?) months prior to the sail date. These flights may or may not be what you would have chosen for yourself. Oceania gives you another option:

For a deviation fee of $175.00/person you can book your flights 270 days prior to your sail date. The choices are limited to air carriers that Oceania is contracted with but could give you the opportunity to select specific flights that you would be happier with.

I just booked a flight using air deviation on Friday. First I checked into the flights for the dates I needed and printed a list of flights that I preferred. Then I called the air deviation department and asked if Oceania (or, in my case Regent - their sister cruise line) had a contract with the airline I wanted. Fortunately, they did and we were able to book the exact flights that we wanted.

We are pretty new to Oceania -- our first cruise was on the Riviera last year and we will sail the Riviera again this year. I am not familiar with the "O" and "R" designations (and feel that many newbies are not either), so I refer to them as the larger and smaller ships or newer and older:) Having studied the stateroom/suite sizes on both types of ships, it was easy for us to know that only a newer/larger ship would do.

For us, stateroom/suite size is what drove our decision -- not whether or not it had "concierge" amenities. We went with a penthouse suite and found it to be very comfortable and with lots of room for everything (after reading how little storage space there is in the smaller staterooms, I know we would not have been happy in anything smaller than what we had).

Hope this helps.

TC2,

I know that free means included in the price but as I fly predominantly BA first or privately, do O give something back if you do not use the free air?

Oceania does give you a deduction if you don't use their air, but it's not as generous as it used to be. I can't give examples because a lot of the amount depends on the airport you use, plus the itinerary in question.

Mura

TC2,

I know that free means included in the price but as I fly predominantly BA first or privately, do O give something back if you do not use the free air?

Usually for North american passengers only

Do ask your TA (if you use one ) Or Oceania

You would not want to be dissappointed in thinking you will get a discount

Lyn, the question of the passenger's location bothered me but not enough to go back and check. So I guess I SHOULD have!

Just for the record (although I'm not sure what it is worth) we received an air credit of $700pp for not using O's air on our May 2014 NYC-Dover cruise. Bear in mind this is a one way flight. They are now offering biz air from LHR to NYC at $999 ... but for us that would also have entailed a deviation fee, so we decided to stay with the flight we'd originally booked on our own.

However! And it's a big however. The credit for doing our own air on the BCN-Rio cruise was also $700pp. And it was a lot more expensive booking our own air NYC-BCN and Rio-NYC than it was for the LHR-NYC flight. Not only are the distances longer, but the first cruise I referred to is a one way fight, and the second was an open jaw.

Both flights were booked about a year and a half in advance. I'm not sure if that affected the air credit or not.

Mura

I do not believe the O class ships do the Black Sea. You will know when the 2015 itineraries come out (perhaps in March).

We did the Black Sea on Azamara in 2013 (we had a choice and we are regular O cruisers) because we liked Azamara's itinerary better. It was RT Istanbul (avoiding Athens) and we got to Sochi and Batumi and a few other ports that O does not always go to. We loved the cruise. The difference for 2015 is that the Oceania R ships will have been completely refurbished, while the Azamara R ships will be same old same old.

We are itinerary driven. Both lines are good but I think the refurbished Oceania ships are going to be quite a draw.

I do not believe the O class ships do the Black Sea. You will know when the 2015 itineraries come out (perhaps in March).

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/easternmediterranean/rva140719/default.aspx

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/easternmediterranean/rva140922/default.aspx

Lyn, the question of the passenger's location bothered me but not enough to go back and check. So I guess I SHOULD have!

Mura

I was just pointing out that in other Countries things may be different than with North American clients of Oceania re the "FREE AIRFARE"

I have noticed some will get the air with UK bookings but that is not to say they will get a discount for not taking it

If you are used to 1st class air with the Luxery lines you may be disappointed

YMMD

Lyn

Not sure when they select the flights but if you opt for the included air and no deviation, they tell you what they are about 75 days prior to sailing.

I did a back to back cruise on an O class ship that went around the Black Sea on the second segment. Due to the low level of service and food that didn't live up to the hype or at times even TGI McFunsters standards I would look for a different line.

OP is coming from Azamara. I've certainly had my share of food quality that didn't live up to the hype on O, even on the large ships, but I would choose O over Az if food was my main concern (unless I planned on eating at Aqualina every night).

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

Not sure when they select the flights but if you opt for the included air and no deviation, they tell you what they are about 75 days prior to sailing.

Thank you for that information. We usually deviate (at least on Regent since there is no cost for Platinum Seven Seas Society members) so I was fuzzy about the dates when you do not deviate:-)

Thank you all for your answers.

I always book my own air when sailing with Seabourn,although on very rare occasions Seabourn can be slightly cheaper than booking air yourself.

I like to book cruises far in advance and then the Seabourn air is not available until six months before the trip.so I have to go it alone