Cunard to do away with Grills?

keithm

I do not understand. If you have cruised almost exclusively with Celebrity, you should have already been an Elite passenger.. We are Elite and have never been thrown out of any event.

Perhaps they don't cruise that often. With the old system you would have had to have cruised 10 times on Celebrity to become "Elite". Now you need 22 cruises (in an Oceanview cabin).

Newbie here. Can someone explain the Grills to me?

Thanks.

The Cunard Grills have for years supposedly been the bees knees of cruising, offering outstanding service together with exclusive areas away from the rowers who have to line up for their dinner every night on two sittings.

Sadly times have changed since the demise of QE2....and it appears that in this day and age it's a free for all whatever cabin grade you select. The exclusive days have long gone and you really don't get what you pay for now.

Best, Judy

Thanks.

On Cunard ships "Grills" refers to Princess Grill and Queens Grill staterooms, the most expensive on board the ships. As somebody mentioned in an earlier post "Bar and Grill" may sound lowbrow in the US but in the UK a "grill" is a high end establishment where food is grilled table side.

Princess Grill passengers have a mini-suite, their own exclusive restaurant, and some extra amenities. Queens Grill passengers have accommodations ranging from a suite to a duplex. They get a butler in addition to a steward, their own restaurant where one can choose to order off-menu, and more amenities than Princess Grill. Grills passengers get express check in and exclusive access to a Concierge Lounge, Grills sun deck, and the Queens Grill Lounge.

Special grill orders and desserts are available only in the Grills restaurants. Given that one would have the same table for all meals throughout the voyage - and the Grill restaurants are much smaller than the main one - the waiters can be more attentive. The single supplement for Grills is 100% while it is 75% in standard staterooms. Whether the higher fare it worth it or not depends on your budget and your preferences.

Edited by BlueRiband

Thanks.

Melody, in addition to the very current information given by previous posters, Pepper provided an interesting insight into the history of the "Grills" in Post #32.

For more information about accommodations, cunard.com has specific details about various accommodations available on Cunard ships. Regards, -S.

Thanks.

Easy answer would be:

Cunard passengers a graded by their assigned restaurant.

Britannia Restaurant = economy

Britannia Club = comfort economy

Princess Grill = business class

Queens Grill = first class

The differences in comfort and service have been explained already.

Britannia Restaurant = economy

Britannia Club = comfort economy

Princess Grill = business class

Queens Grill = first class

That's a very good description indeed.

But it's odd, when that type of grading is applied to a plane, people have no issue with it, but when it's applied to a ship, it becomes a "class system". I've never been able to work that one out.

But it's odd, when that type of grading is applied to a plane, people have no issue with it, but when it's applied to a ship, it becomes a "class system". I've never been able to work that one out.

Same with a "Concierge floor" in a hotel. Anybody who refused to patronize a hotel with such a "class system" would exclude themselves from just about every mid- to upper-tier hotel chain.

I don't much care what goes on around me in my little seat for a few hours...as long as they land safely. On the ship, I care very much. :)

Edited by brigittetom

Celebrity Cruises is the latest to start a Grill Class type of "ship within a ship" to be called "Suite Class". There will be a private lounge and restaurant. They will be joining NCL and MSC as well as, of course, Cunard.

This is becoming like the old days when almost all liners had at least two classes: First and Tourist. Almost all cruise ships operated as one-class; it was mainly the liners that maintained a class distinction - and not just on the transatlantic run. Amongst others, Union-Castle had two classes on the South African Royal Mail ships as did P&O on the "empire runs". Relatively modern ships like the QE2 and France would, therefore, operate as one class on cruises and two classes on the Atlantic crossings. The QE2 did have its Grills, though, even if they were not considered part of the first class section of the ship whilst cruising.

I don't much care what goes on around me in my little seat for a few hours...as long as they land safely. On the ship, I care very much. :)

It's not JUST the flight, but the entire airport and ground handling experience.

Such, as the FCT (First Class Terminal) in Frankfurt, or La Premiere at CDG, or the British Airways Concord Lounge at LHR.

This gives you a pretty decent idea : LINK (La Premiere, Air France)

Traveling (flying) becomes a lot less stressful and more enjoyable; when you choose premium services (much like, Grill Class). :D

It's not JUST the flight, but the entire airport and ground handling experience.

Such, as the FCT (First Class Terminal) in Frankfurt, or La Premiere at CDG, or the British Airways Concord Lounge at LHR.

Traveling (flying) becomes a lot less stressful and more enjoyable; when you choose premium services (much like, Grill Class). :D

Totally agree re: premium travel when flying. The Seemless experience makes everything simple. Rather than suffering jet lag and feeling dirty on arrival, flying business (and especially First) leaves you refreshed on arrival and on returning home (even more important).

Staying in premium hotels also makes life easier. Concierge services can be very helpful and will go the extra mile to make your stay as enjoyable and simple as possible.

Nothing beats not having to handle your bags between packing at home and unpacking when you return home.

Granted, not everyone can afford it.

That said, I found Britannia class on QM2 to be luxurious and Seemless. I'm looking forward to 2 nights in QG to see how much better life could get on a Cunard ship.

Thank you for that lovely video........I agree 100% but sadly, we don't travel like that. You just don't get that kind of service in Asheville, NC. :D

Thank you for that lovely video........I agree 100% but sadly, we don't travel like that. You just don't get that kind of service in Asheville, NC. :D

True, but your international gateway (connecting city) has some of these services; especially for departures in the EU.

Delta even has been experimenting with Porsche transfers (from gate to gate) at hubs such as Atlanta.

There are a selection of (decent) gateway international lounges in the US-48 that still make travel (more) enjoyable. Programs like TSA Pre✓™, GE (Global Entry), Priority Check-in (and security) also make travel much more relaxing and seamless.

With regard to "hard-product" US Legacy carriers have been stepping up their game quite a bit, especially Delta. 1-2-1 configuration in BusinessElite for TransAtlantic is basically (now) the norm. Allowing everyone to have a direct aisle access while inflight.

OMG! Don't bring up smoking again. What's next? The pre-tied bow tie debate?:eek::D

Did somebody mention pre-tied bowties??

You can't even call them bowties really - because you do not "tie" them. They are clip-ons.

Barry