A Different kind of formal night question

I'm not asking about what anyone should or shouldn't wear but I am curious if the dinner itself is different on formal night than other nights. For example - better food? Entertainment? More courses? Is the staff dressed different than other nights? Anything that sets that night apart from the rest other than people are dressed nicer (or not ;) )??

NO to all, having said that, the servers/MDR people,might have slightly better outfits on, but not like a restaurant that Oprah would dine at. Sometimes they do add a lobster dish/escargot to the menu if you consider that an upgrade.

I'm not asking about what anyone should or shouldn't wear but I am curious if the dinner itself is different on formal night than other nights. For example - better food? Entertainment? More courses? Is the staff dressed different than other nights? Anything that sets that night apart from the rest other than people are dressed nicer (or not ;) )??

For the recent New Year cruise on Mariner (not so recent since it's February now...), we had lobster on formal night! Half the portion that you get if you paid for it as an a la carte Chops Grille but still!

I think the atmosphere is different on formal nights. The officers wear their dress uniforms and seem to be more visible/accessible, and the wait team is dressed a bit fancier. I think that there are fancier choices on the menu. And, the Captain's Gala is held on the first formal night (it is particularly nice on ships that have a promenade), and the production shows are usually in the theatre on the formal nights.

Edited by DonnaK

I've always felt the choices were better on the formal night - or maybe the just offered more of my favorites. In any event, we enjoy dressing up, meeting the captain, having photos done, whole nine yards - even after all these years of cruising.

The menu isn't "different," it's just the better (in my opinion) dinner. The first formal night has Duck which I think is very nice. The second has the lobster. So we always do formal night in the MDR and if we go to Chops we find a night when we aren't so interested in the MDR menu.