Dealing with uncomfortable balcony furniture...help

Loreni

On our last Sapphire cruise, our balcony furniture was so uncomfortable. We were in a mini, so we had footstools, but they were too low. Also, the chairs themselves sloped downward so that the area under one's knees was lower than it should be. Combined with the low foot rest, this was a very uncomfortable position for reclining.

Here is how we solved it...sort of. We asked for extra beach towels and rolled them up to place under our knees. We used a bed pillow for back support. We stacked the foot rests and coved them with a bed pillow, giving one person a standard height foot rest. The other person was no worse off, since the unaltered footrests were useless. Sometimes we shared shared the altered footrest.

Needless to say, setting this up and taking it down took a bit of time each day. Also, it still wasn't all that comfortable, but al least it was usable. I know Pam's solution is to book insides and then go to the sanctuary. I am stubborn and am not ready to give up on the balcony.

DH wants to bring an inflatable footrest next time. He also want to bring some kind of cushions. Why not? We already bring our own mattress topper. Of course, we would not leave these things on the balcony when we are not out there (fire hazard).

I am sorry that I did not take any measurements of the furniture. If anyone gets a chance, please post estimates of the width of the chairs. Also, if anyone else has found a good solution for improving the comfort of this furniture, please share.

Before, the Star fire, the steward brought us a lounger once. I think now, they will not allow this. I think I read that the flammability standards are different for deck vs balcony furniture. I don't know if this is true.

Based on the Royal/Regal design and this new furniture (surely someone from Princess must have sat on it before authorizing the purchase), it seems that Princess really doesn't want us to be too comfortable on our balconies.

Before, the Star fire, the steward brought us a lounger once. I think now, they will not allow this. I think I read that the flammability standards are different for deck vs balcony furniture. I don't know if this is true.

Based on the Royal/Regal design and this new furniture (surely someone from Princess must have sat on it before authorizing the purchase), it seems that Princess really doesn't want us to be too comfortable on our balconies.

Correct, loungers only on Suite balconies.

Here is an idea for Princess to make some extra $$$!

I love the steamer chairs (with footrests) that are on the Promenade deck. They are extremely comfortable with the cushion and correct placement of the footrest. These chairs were missing from the deck on the Golden on our recent SA cruise. If Princess made these chairs available for an additional fee on your balcony, I know that I would "rent" them for our cruises!

It would require a lot of furniture shuffling at the start and end of the cruise, but they are extremely comfortable.

I don't plan on booking another balcony cabin as the furniture is so uncomfortable for me. I've tried the rolled pool towels and pillows but I find the angles are wrong no matter what I do. For me, on a cruise with decent weather, I now book an oceanview and try for the Sanctuary. A lot cheaper than booking a balcony and I'm far more comfortable, not to mention having attendants to bring me food and drinks. :)

That is just crazy. No one should have to go through all that trouble just to enjoy using the balcony. I would be disappointed.

I like Pam's idea of booking an ocean view cabin and trying for the Sanctuary.

I like to keep my own balcony where I can enjoy my breakfast,read and have time alone. To me the only right solution is complaining about the terrible balcony furniture to Princess. If thousands of cruisers would let Princess know how unhappy we are they would be hopefully moved to get us some comfy furniture! :confused:I also use pillows and towels to get a bit more comfy,without much success:eek:

I was going to book an ocean view on our upcoming cruise to save money. That is until I found out the Royal Princess doesn't HAVE ocean view cabins! I just can't bring myself to book an inside so balcony here I come! I just have to have natural daylight.

I was going to book an ocean view on our upcoming cruise to save money. That is until I found out the Royal Princess doesn't HAVE ocean view cabins! I just can't bring myself to book an inside so balcony here I come! I just have to have natural daylight.

The footrests should not be an issue for you, I read there is really no room to use them. The chairs should be OK for sitting upright. I can't bring myself to book a balcony on the Royal and DH, like you, cannot bring himself to book an inside. So for now, Royal is out for us.

Edited by Loreni

I like to keep my own balcony where I can enjoy my breakfast,read and have time alone. To me the only right solution is complaining about the terrible balcony furniture to Princess. If thousands of cruisers would let Princess know how unhappy we are they would be hopefully moved to get us some comfy furniture! :confused:I also use pillows and towels to get a bit more comfy,without much success:eek:

Didn't this happen about a year ago when Princess tried to put small, low tables that couldn't even hold a single plate on the balconies. I thought people complained and the tables were replaced with ones big enough for room service.

So maybe there is hope for decent chairs and footrests. Is Sapphire the only ship with this problem, or is it fleet wide ?

Edited by Loreni

FWIW, DW and I have had no problems with the furniture on balcony and mini-suite balconies on the Sapphire, Golden and Grand. Like many other things, it can be a personal preference.

Edited by AZJerry

I've had comical visions of bringing my own anti-gravity chair, which is the next best thing to a Lazy Boy. I would drag it to the pool with me so chair hogs would have to walk on by and stay off my chair and I would also have it to enjoy on my own balcony.

Princess gave up comfortable balcony furniture several years ago. Now it feels like sitting on an uncomfortable rock (and the foot stools are too low, but work if you push them against the railing and bend your knees to just use them for your feet.} This furniture seems to be fleet wide. I don't expect to live long enough for Princess to go back to comfortable.

I have not yet booked a balcony on Princess so I am unable to make any comments on the uncomfortable furniture. Maybe something will be done if everyone starts posting their complaints on the Facebook page.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

I don't plan on booking another balcony cabin as the furniture is so uncomfortable for me. I've tried the rolled pool towels and pillows but I find the angles are wrong no matter what I do. For me, on a cruise with decent weather, I now book an oceanview and try for the Sanctuary. A lot cheaper than booking a balcony and I'm far more comfortable, not to mention having attendants to bring me food and drinks. :)

That is a great idea! Never considered that before! We had a balcony on the Star and the views and weather were great but the chairs were not the most comfortable. Have an aloha balcony (705) coming up in 7 days on the Emerald so will see how that goes. The price was right for that cabin but in the future will consider your idea! Thanks! Always like reading your posts and ideas!

The 'new' balcony furniture is so uncomfortable that it does impact my enjoyment of the balcony. Even with pillows, etc., I can't get comfortable.

It's hard to understand why such furniture would be purchased unless Princess wants us out of our rooms and spending money. Surely someone sat in it prior to buying, but who knows.

I have complained on every comment card, but have little hope that it will be changed anytime soon.

The 'new' balcony furniture is so uncomfortable that it does impact my enjoyment of the balcony. Even with pillows, etc., I can't get comfortable. have little hope that it will be changed anytime soon.

We usually book minisuites and have experienced the same thing! I also put the bed pillows on the chair and the sofa pillows on the footstool with so-so results. I was so surprised that Princess would buy such uncomfortable furniture.

I'll be sailing on the Celebrity Reflection next month and I read on the Celebrity board that the balcony chairs are comfortable, but unless you book the Concierge or Aqua class balcony cabins (which we didn't) you don't get a foot rest!! The suggestion is to take a beach ball so you can blow it up to the right inflation height and use as a foot rest. Great idea! I bought one and hope it will works well. But now I think I'll also take it with me on Princess cruises to replace the foot rest. ;)

We usually book minisuites and have experienced the same thing! I also put the bed pillows on the chair and the sofa pillows on the footstool with so-so results. I was so surprised that Princess would buy such uncomfortable furniture.

I'll be sailing on the Celebrity Reflection next month and I read on the Celebrity board that the balcony chairs are comfortable, but unless you book the Concierge or Aqua class balcony cabins (which we didn't) you don't get a foot rest!! The suggestion is to take a beach ball so you can blow it up to the right inflation height and use as a foot rest. Great idea! I bought one and hope it will works well. But now I think I'll also take it with me on Princess cruises to replace the foot rest. ;)

Good idea. We shouldn't have to, but....

I think it is a Carnival Corporation style of purchase (combine orders, save money) . I saw some pictures of a Carnival ship and the Lido deck was filled with this same type of chair. I am guessing someone arranged for a deal to cover multiple cruise brands.

I had booked a mini suite for 3 weeks in California and Alaska. I had E731 and hoped to spend quite a bit of time on my big balcony. The new furniture was awful for any long term sitting. Thankfully, our room steward found an extra lounger in a suite that was not needed that we used for the time in Alaska.

Edited by Coral

I am really mad and upset at Princess and Carnival corporation since they don't seem to give a damn about their guests comfort :( We have spend an average of 12,000.00 $ a year booking 2 cruises in mini suits and for all that money we have to turn our selves into a pretzel with pillows and towels. That is just not right and I feel that after 28 Princess cruises we are entitled to enjoy our balcony in comfort. Hopefully they have replaced the balcony mats, on our November cruise we just had a rusty blue painted and mostly wet and slippery floor. I used to love my Princess cruises and praised the co. to every body I knew,not so much anymore. What has happened to the "consummated host" who lets you"escape completely":cool::eek::confused:

Like everything else in life one size (or opinion) doesn't suit all. We recently spent 9 days on the Ruby in a mini suite. Due to the beautiful weather we sat out for several sunsets and late evenings of star gazing. We were able to sit comfortably with the chair backs reclined and our legs extended on the foot rests.