Brochure overkill

knitter

I wonder how much Oceania could cut fares if they stopped sending out so many brochures! I seem to get at least 3 a week, and they all end up in recycling- I would rather get a few comprehensive brochures a year that I could use for planning purposes. It is a sad waste of trees to me!

I agree

Last week we got 3 sale ones along with Regent one which we never requested

Today 2 Oceania flyers & 1 Regent

Just think of this multiplied by thousands they send out

They could pay off some of their debt load much faster if they just sent out the large brochure when the new itineraries come out

I have opted out of the mailings but still they come

I called Regent today to get off the list

"No problem ..you may still get mailing for 5-6 mths " :eek: I am told

They need a new system

Sorry for the rant :D

I feel better now

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I agree

Last week we got 3 sale ones along with Regent one which we never requested

Today 2 Oceania flyers & 1 Regent

Just think of this multiplied by thousands they send out

They could pay off some of their debt load much faster if they just sent out the large brochure when the new itineraries come out

I have opted out of the mailings but still they come

I called Regent today to get off the list

"No problem ..you may still get mailing for 5-6 mths " :eek: I am told

They need a new system

Sorry for the rant :D

I feel better now

Lyn

I too got an unrequested Regent brochure. DH perused it (he never does that) and informed me that we would not be sailing on Regent any time soon.

True enough, but I notice that I get as many email notices as I get snail mail brochures. This is not just from Oceania, it's a general condition. Whenever I order something online from a vendor, I get snail and email information.

Surely they could all do one or the other ... If I buy online, I really don't want or need the mail catalogue. But I sure get them.

Mura

I have also been surprised how many really nice brochures that we get from Oceania, sometimes multiple ones in the same day. One of our companies used to be in the commercial printing business. These brochures are very expensive and I hate to throw them away. I normally will keep the most current one just to watch what changes come out. They do all seem to have the same info in them. Their printing company must love them; as does the USPS.

Surely they could all do one or the other ... If I buy online, I really don't want or need the mail catalogue. But I sure get them.

Mura

But once you tell them to take you OFF the list it usually happens within a few weeks

If I have to receive more Regent brochures for the next 5-6 mths when we will NEVER book a Regent cruise it is money lost to the company

Maybe they think if they keep sending them we will cave in a book a REGENT cruise never going to happen with us

I am sure they could use the money saved to train some rude staff members :rolleyes:

Pretty much true, Lyn. In my case in the days before the internet I always wrote to the mailing people (don't even remember their name nowadays) and that worked. But once I was getting the internet I stopped bothering. I just delete the email and trash the snail mail ... except for those few I want to keep. Even those don't last for long.

But, I guess my question remains: why send all the duplicates. It's cheap enough to send emails and I don't mind receiving those. They are easy to delete and often I want to check them out.

But when they also send the mail catalogs it's a total waste. I don't look at them, but for recycling reasons I have to tie them up for disposal. That's a pain!

That doesn't make me any happier to receive the duplication. And that goes for O as well ... as it is, I get emails in triplicate, so the brochures are a complete waste.

Mura

Yes, I've received as many as five mailings a week, plus the e-mails. I save the mailings because of the beautiful colors - tear them up and use them in collages. But, really, what a waste of materials!

One day last week I got 3 of um. Not a simple few pages but what would pass for a full color magazine in one case. This has got to cost them a fortune as mail to Canada isn't cheap. I would much rather that reduce fares and curtail the advertising blitz

Bob

Oceania has the best sales literature in the industry. We keep in the house for a period of time some of the brochures because they are so attractive

Questions.

1. How many staterooms does Oceania sell because it constantly reminds prospective buyers of its cruise offerings?

2. What is the cost of the company's marketing reliance on brochures?

3. If the company reduced by 70 percent the number of brochures it mails out and passed completely those savings to consumers, how much per person could fares be reduced?

I truly have no idea how much Oceania spends on its brochure mailings. But's say Oceania in a year has 150,000 guests with five ships. If it reduced its marketing expenses by $5,000,000 and passed all of the savings on to guests, the fare per person on average might be reduced $33 or $67 per stateroom for two. And of course if the company could just reduce $5,000,000 in marketing expenses without any adverse effect on sales, the company would pocket the savings.

I find this topic amusing. I have not received a brochure or mailing from Oceania for the last two years. I actually picked up the brochure while aboard the ship just this month. I also get an email brochure maybe once or twice a month from them but get get many more emails from other cruise companies, some of which I have never sailed on. Oceania is not the only cruise line to send out brochures in the snail mail.

I find this topic amusing. I have not received a brochure or mailing from Oceania for the last two years. I actually picked up the brochure while aboard the ship just this month. I also get an email brochure maybe once or twice a month from them but get get many more emails from other cruise companies, some of which I have never sailed on. Oceania is not the only cruise line to send out brochures in the snail mail.

I am sure we all have tales of over stuffed mail boxes due to ocean and river cruise brochures. It beats credit card offers! :D

Same for us in Amsterdam. When/if we receive information from Oceania the brochures arrive very late. It seems guests in the US have priority over the ones living in Europe.

peter

But Peter, you have better stuff to smoke in Amsterdam :D

Before anyone gets too agitated about the inconvenience of receiving unwanted brochures, I'd suggest that you take a look at the prices that some of the older ones are fetching on Ebay..

ub_swann.jpg

I collect antique Cruise Memorabilia, and sometimes I get to thinking that if my Grandparents had just been a little less thorough in their housekeeping....

Before anyone gets too agitated about the inconvenience of receiving unwanted brochures, I'd suggest that you take a look at the prices that some of the older ones are fetching on Ebay..

ub_swann.jpg

I collect antique Cruise Memorabilia, and sometimes I get to thinking that if my Grandparents had just been a little less thorough in their housekeeping....

I will have to do that, since I still have cruise stuff from my father from the 1920's.

It seemed no time at all after our first cruise last July that the brochures started to roll in almost with each tide. Good trick when you live at the top of the Sacramento Valley...

Initially it made us feel a tad special. Now it just gives us the odd giggle when the newest flier/catalog fills our tiny mail cubby. Just wish we could book even more cruises than at present.

At least it adds to the Postal Service' income. And it's fun to leave the big magazine/catalog out like a coffee table book to 'impress' the odd visitor.

JMBobB

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app