Port of Toulon in early November--Calling all who have been there!

cpl100

Hello! Our Celebrity ship has this port in early November. Obviously, we won't be headed to the beach!

We are just not sure what to do. We are in port from 8 - 6 but I would not feel comfortable arriving back to port after 5 since the next port is in Barcelona. I read there is a place called Aix-en-Provence.

Would you recommend this in November? What other places would be great? We like wine but could not spend the entire day sampling wine and still function. Would like a combo of sight seeing and shopping and also enjoying a nice lunch.

If we could work up an itinerary that we like, we would try to get others on our roll call to join us.

Thanks for any and all help!

Hello! Our Celebrity ship has this port in early November. Obviously, we won't be headed to the beach!

We are just not sure what to do. We are in port from 8 - 6 but I would not feel comfortable arriving back to port after 5 since the next port is in Barcelona. I read there is a place called Aix-en-Provence.

Would you recommend this in November? What other places would be great? We like wine but could not spend the entire day sampling wine and still function. Would like a combo of sight seeing and shopping and also enjoying a nice lunch.

If we could work up an itinerary that we like, we would try to get others on our roll call to join us.

If you look through some pages on this board you will find what people have done from Toulon...it is not the best port to get to and from,but some came up with some ideas.

:)

We were in Aix in late October, 2013 ... weather was wonderful. :)

Edited by dogs4fun

Don't know what to tell you about November. We were there in June. However, we did go to Aix. Fairly relaxing trip to a Provencal town. Here is a link to pictures.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/497

Thanks for the photos! We're on the same TA as the OP, and have already booked the ship's tour to Aix; really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the photos! We're on the same TA as the OP, and have already booked the ship's tour to Aix; really looking forward to it!

Which tour did you book? Would you mind telling me why you chose that particular one? Thanks! (New to this port.)

Which tour did you book? Would you mind telling me why you chose that particular one? Thanks! (New to this port.)

Sure --the only one that goes to Aix. We booked it because Aix is supposed to be charming, and this excursion will have a walking tour and some free time.

I'm still looking into whether we should go to Cassis instead, so if anyone reading this has opinions about whether a first timer to Provence with a one-day port stop in Toulon should visit Aix or Cassis, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Aix is always a good choice for a first-time visit to the region. As to being there in November, just pray that there is not an early Mistral blowing.

Hank

Thanks Hank, I very much appreciate your advice on this. And we'll keep our fingers crossed about the winds! :)

• 2 months later...

We were on the Royal Princess last summer that stopped in Toulon..we opted to stay in town as we had three full days of touring following our day in Toulon. We had been to Aix previously.

The ship does not dock right in Toulon so you had to take a short ferry ride to town (Princess sold tickets right on the dock) and there was a delightful outdoor market in town that we all enjoyed. I do not know if the market operates in the off season. There is also a nice maritime museum.

With all of the wonderful places elsewhere on the French Riviera, I do not know why the cruise lines use Toulon, must be money! There is so much more to offer from Nice, Monte Carlo, Etc.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

• 2 weeks later...

We stopped in Toulon last November and did a private excursion with Catherine. You can find her on tripadvisor or pm us. We went to Aix and Cassis. Very nice way to spend the day. This time, we will try Maraeilles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...
We stopped in Toulon last November and did a private excursion with Catherine. You can find her on tripadvisor or pm us. We went to Aix and Cassis. Very nice way to spend the day. This time, we will try Maraeilles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We would like to do Aix and Cassis also. What is her website?

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Toulon this week and spent the day on a very lovely beach.

The tours that were offered included outings to Aix and St Tropez - both lovely but we have been there several times already. Toulon is the main military port in France and has a rich history. If you are interested in its role in WWII, then there will be plenty to interest you.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up joining with others from the roll call and we are going to the market in Forcalquier and then the afternoon in Aix. Now my quest is to learn what I should be 'shopping for' at these places. Would welcome all suggestions and opinions but bear in mind very little in the way of consumable food can be brought back to the ship (I think).

I ended up joining with others from the roll call and we are going to the market in Forcalquier and then the afternoon in Aix. Now my quest is to learn what I should be 'shopping for' at these places. Would welcome all suggestions and opinions but bear in mind very little in the way of consumable food can be brought back to the ship (I think).

We would suggest having fun browsing, but save most of your purchases for when you return home. There are few bargains to be found in France (a 20% VAT tax does not help) and DW tends to confine her purchases to unique art or crafts that tend to be regional.

Hank

What is always nice in these types of towns is the tableclothes/napkins,French soaps,and other small items. They will not break the bank and are always a reminder of your trip. When you see these types of items you will know.Have fun.

That is truly a disappointment! But thanks for the information.

Argh! Sure hate to disappoint anyone here on CC :). So when you think of shopping in Europe, what would you want to buy? As has been posted (besides the arts and crafts we mentioned) you can certainly find some nice soaps (which you might be able to buy in the US for less money). As to clothes, we have European friends that take an empty suitcase when they travel to the USA, where they like to do most of their shopping. Most of the top European labels can be found in the US for lower prices then in Europe...although we have heard stories of some great deals at certain outlets in Italy.

But you are talking about France and you might want to think about which French products you would normally look for while shopping in the USA. Personally, there is little we want to buy from this country other then wine, and we can buy French wine at home for about the same price as it costs in France.

Hank

What i purchased in a flower market was lavender in a cotton sachet. It made the cabin smell wonderful and you do not see this very often in Canada. :) you purchase little thing to remind you of where you have been. Not T shirts that are 20.00 in the us and 75.00 with the exchange and taxes in Europe.

Argh! Sure hate to disappoint anyone here on CC :). So when you think of shopping in Europe, what would you want to buy? As has been posted (besides the arts and crafts we mentioned) you can certainly find some nice soaps (which you might be able to buy in the US for less money). As to clothes, we have European friends that take an empty suitcase when they travel to the USA, where they like to do most of their shopping. Most of the top European labels can be found in the US for lower prices then in Europe...although we have heard stories of some great deals at certain outlets in Italy.

But you are talking about France and you might want to think about which French products you would normally look for while shopping in the USA. Personally, there is little we want to buy from this country other then wine, and we can buy French wine at home for about the same price as it costs in France.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Two European cruises in the last three years and all we came home with was a Pinocchio puppet for the grandkid. Our observation was the same as yours. Two years ago I passed on buying FC Barcelona stuff and found a hat for $6.99 when I got home.

Just my two cents, very briefly - we went to Toulon on a cruise a couple of years ago and were not exactly full of anticipation. Boy were we wrong! We actually loved the town of Toulon and found it a lot nicer than expected. So make sure you save some time to just walk around the town - if I remember, the centre was very walkable from the cruise port. Much nicer than Marseille!!!! Have fun (oh and as far as what to buy, I recommend chocolate. Even the cheap supermarket brands are SO MUCH better than any US chocolate!! And I agree with the lavender - lavender is very typical for the South of France so would make a nice, original souvenir)