Brand New Cruiser

GreytMom

Hi guys!

My DH and I were invited with my father and younger brother to cruise with them and some other family members. DH and I have done "middle of nowhere" cruises and day cruises to the Bahamas when we lived in FL....but that was almost 15 years ago! Needless to say....we are completely new to EVERYTHING about cruising and wanted to get some information.

Here is some info about our cruise. Traveling to Mexico, Jamaica, and Haiti in March 2014 on Allure of the Seas (Royal Caribbean).

SO...here are some basic questions we have thought of and would love ya'lls answers:

-What should we bring to wear? (My daily attire is medical scrubs and PJs! I own mostly jeans, I could probably dig up some jean shorts, and basic lightweight tees. My DH does have some "dressy" jean-like polo pants and dress shirts and his wardrobe is more extensive than mine.)

-Is there a way to sneak on sodas? (Both of us aren't really alcoholic drinkers, although I would be the one to indulge in maybe 2-3 drinks the entire trip. I know there are talks about threads on all the ins and outs of getting "illegal" things onboard, but I can't seem to find them. I'm not interested in getting an entire 12-pack on board, although that would last us atleast until our 1st port, just maybe to help save some $$)

-What are some things that you found helpful to have on the ship? We've read about the shoe organizer over the bathroom door, battery-operated alarm clock, etc.

-Has anyone ever heard of bringing your own sheets, pillow cases, or even pillows? I'm not a germ-a-phobe....just a thought..............

-Does anyone know if Sprint phones would work at least at the ports? We have unlimited EVERYTHING. We also have a 2 1/2 year old that will be staying home for the entire 10 days were are gone and we've never been away for THAT long before. If not for my own sanity, atleast her knowing we will be able to call her and check in would be great!

-Can any one recommend a great underwater camera? We don't plan on scuba diving but atleast not having to worry about it getting wet would be great!

-Is there anything else you would tell to 2 first time cruisers??????? Anything and everything is appreciated!!

-Is there a way to sneak on sodas? know there are talks about threads on all the ins and outs of getting "illegal" things onboard, but I can't seem to find them. I'm not interested in getting an entire 12-pack on board, although that would last us atleast until our 1st port, just maybe to help save some $$)

No - not really. Soda cannot be brought on board and they will find it in your luggage or at security and confiscate it. Sodas are not all that expensive and that is not really a good way to save money on board. See the link below to the various beverage packages on board to consider.

-Has anyone ever heard of bringing your own sheets, pillow cases, or even pillows? I'm not a germ-a-phobe....just a thought..............

No - in 21+ years of cruising never heard of it. The stateroom attendant changes the sheets daily. Consider the ship as a higher end resort hotel - would you really bring your own bed linens with you there???

-Does anyone know if Sprint phones would work at least at the ports? We have unlimited EVERYTHING. We also have a 2 1/2 year old that will be staying home for the entire 10 days were are gone and we've never been away for THAT long before. If not for my own sanity, atleast her knowing we will be able to call her and check in would be great!

Your phones will work in the ports of call but will be very expensive if used on board at sea.

-Is there anything else you would tell to 2 first time cruisers??????? Anything and everything is appreciated!!

See my answers above in red to some of your questions. For more first time information, go to the Royal Caribbean board and look at the various Allure threads that will be there from time to time and read them for more information. Also find the Roll Call for your sailing date and join it to talk with other people going on your cruise.

Beverage packages link: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options&tab=2

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Granted, Royal Caribbean is one of the few cruise lines I have not sailed, but I have never sailed on a ship where they changed the sheets more than once during a 7 days period, unless it was obvious they needed to be changed. Daily? No. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

The beds are not standard size...I doubt your sheets would fit properly. The ship's linens are clean!!

Your phones will likely work everywhere but Labadee...no cell service there at all, but you'll be paying whatever rate a different provider decides to charge you....check with your phone company! E-mail is a cheap way to check on home!

They don't really care if you bring a few sodas, although they are available in cans ($2.50 or so) or you can buy the fountain soda package ($7.+) pp pd for unlimited sodas.

Here is some info about our cruise. Traveling to Mexico, Jamaica, and Haiti in March 2014 on Allure of the Seas (Royal Caribbean).

SO...here are some basic questions we have thought of and would love ya'lls answers:

-What should we bring to wear? (My daily attire is medical scrubs and PJs! I own mostly jeans, I could probably dig up some jean shorts, and basic lightweight tees. My DH does have some "dressy" jean-like polo pants and dress shirts and his wardrobe is more extensive than mine.)

-Is there a way to sneak on sodas? (Both of us aren't really alcoholic drinkers, although I would be the one to indulge in maybe 2-3 drinks the entire trip. I know there are talks about threads on all the ins and outs of getting "illegal" things onboard, but I can't seem to find them. I'm not interested in getting an entire 12-pack on board, although that would last us atleast until our 1st port, just maybe to help save some $$)

-What are some things that you found helpful to have on the ship? We've read about the shoe organizer over the bathroom door, battery-operated alarm clock, etc.

-Can any one recommend a great underwater camera? We don't plan on scuba diving but atleast not having to worry about it getting wet would be great!

I've twice done the Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman & Cozumel route, but not on the Allure or Oasis. Neither the Allure or Oasis will stop in Grand Cayman as that is a tender port. Ocho Rios has been replaced by Falmouth.

However, I have been on the Allure of the Seas (to the Eastern Caribbean). Here is a link to my review with lots of photographs of the Allure - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1928555

The photographs of the ship might help answer some of your questions.

When I was on the Navigator of the Seas (out of New Orleans) we stopped at two of the ports you will visit, Cozumel and Falmouth. Here is a link to my review of the Navigator of the Seas - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810031

My review of Cozumel is in post # 28

My review of Falmouth is in post # 68

Photographs of Cozumel start with the last photograph of post # 74 and end with the third photograph in post # 75

Photographs of Falmouth begin with the first photograph in post # 77 and end with the last photograph in post # 81

What to wear. Expect the days to be warm. Casual clothing is the norm during the days. For dinner in the main dining room (MDR) nice clothes will do. There will be two formal nights during a one week cruise (most likely during the first and second days at sea). Here is the dress code from the Royal Caribbean website:

Q: What are the dress codes onboard? s.gif A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

If you don't want to participate in formal night, casual wear is always accepted in the Windjammer (the buffet).

Shorts are not allowed in the MDR for dinner. Long pants and socks are required for ice skating.

Underwater camera recommendations - either the Canon Power Shot D10 or the Pentax Optio WG-2 would be my recommendations.

Edited by Cuizer2