New Cruiser with questions!

Bella83

Hi all. I will be cruising for my honeymoon, Southern Caribbean, 7 night, in late November on Celebrity.

1. What types of clothing should I pack for the time spent on the ship, and for time spent in port? (For both myself and future husband.)

We have appropriate clothing for the formal nights, so we are good on that end.

2. Also, ladies, what type of purse or bag should I use to bring on shore? I am a Type 1 Diabetic, so I will definitely need to have my glucose meter, as well hand sanitizer, and my glucose gels in the event I experience a low blood sugar.

3. Any other Type 1 Diabetics out there, how do you figure your supplies for cruising? I am a notorious over packer for insulin pump and glucose testing supplies, but how many snacks/emergency glucose packets should I plan for the shore excursions.

4. I have gone deep sea fishing in the past with my dad, and I know I didn't get seasick on the fishing boats with some pretty good rollers. But should I plan for the potential of the ship being different? What is a good brand of motion sickness meds so I can be prepared?

Thank you!

Daytime is Ultra casual....shorts, swimsuits, flip flops, etc.... At night, capris for you, slacks and collared shirt for hubby on casual evenings. On formal nights, cocktail dress or gown for you, suit or tux for hubby.

On shore, I bring a small purse, just large enough for the things I need. If you're going to the beach, bring a small tote for your towels and sunscreen...a small purse can go in there, too.

How often do you need emergency glucose at home? Bring that, plus a few more. You'll just have to keep on a good diet at meals!!

If you can handle a fishing boat, you are NOT likely to be bothered by the ship's movement....it's much less "choppy" than a small boat!!! Bonine is a good med, but check with your doctor, being as you have diabetes, just to make sure!

Be sure to tell Celebrity that you're type 1 diabetic BEFORE you sail. This way they will be certain to have enough things on board for you to select meals from. It shouldn't be an issue to them because out of the number of people on board, guaranteed you won't be the only one on board! But they always ask you to let them know, so I do. Everything else was covered by pp who gave you excellent advice.

Hi all. I will be cruising for my honeymoon, Southern Caribbean, 7 night, in late November on Celebrity.

1. What types of clothing should I pack for the time spent on the ship, and for time spent in port? (For both myself and future husband.)

One thing I didn't consider on my first cruise was how chilly it can get on the lido deck at night. You spend all this time thinking about sunshine and warm tropic weather and stuff like that, it's easy to forget something like a sweatshirt so you can enjoy the breeze at night.

I just got a waterproof case that has an armband and lanyard for cash and phone to be put in whilst snorkeling whilst onshore so I wouldn't worry about leaving them on the beach unattended.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great idea!

I toss on a tee shirt & shorts for breakfast, then change into pool gear. (pool gear under tee/shorts or skirt on port). I find 2 pair of dark shorts plenty for a 7 day cruise, since I might toss on capris for events like trivia or bingo, then dress for dinner. Comfy walking shoes for port, flip flops for pool, plus your evening shoes.

If you don't get sick on a fishing boat, it would be highly unlikely you would get sick on a ship. The motion is far less--and they have stablizers if needed.

Make sure you contact the special needs dept. of the cruise line, and ask for a sharps container for your cabin (you can order one on their website). If it isn't in your cabin when you arrive, ask your room steward. They can provide you with one. For medicines and supplies, always pack a few extra days worth since you never know when a flight or cruise will be delayed a few days due to weather or some other unusual circumstance. I always pack a snack (crackers or snack bar) in my carry on / day pack just in case. You may be eating on a different schedule or the excursion may be delayed.

I'm a type 2 but I've never ordered special meals. Most cruse lines have a special, "healthier" section of the menu containing meals that are lower calorie and lower fat (made without all the heavy sauces). And if you order any entree, but don't like the sides, for example, ask the waiters for a substitution. They can usually get you want you want. They can also help you make choices based on your needs. The buffets have a very large selection of items so you'll be able to find something you'll like. Only you know what's best for your diet. Check the Celebrity Cruise Line discussion board, since people often post sample menus. It may give you an idea of what they serve. Enjoy the cruise!

Edited by Alpha84

2. Also, ladies, what type of purse or bag should I use to bring on shore? I am a Type 1 Diabetic, so I will definitely need to have my glucose meter, as well hand sanitizer, and my glucose gels in the event I experience a low blood sugar.

3. Any other Type 1 Diabetics out there, how do you figure your supplies for cruising? I am a notorious over packer for insulin pump and glucose testing supplies, but how many snacks/emergency glucose packets should I plan for the shore excursions.

4. I have gone deep sea fishing in the past with my dad, and I know I didn't get seasick on the fishing boats with some pretty good rollers. But should I plan for the potential of the ship being different? What is a good brand of motion sickness meds so I can be prepared?

Thank you!

Since I'm a guy, I can't help you with all of this, but I can help you with #3, as I am a Type 2 on a pump. I, myself, bring about 3-4 infusiuon sets, a brand new vial of Novolog, a new container of test strips, extra batteries for BG meter and pump (particularly if your pump uses an unusual battery), 3-4 cartridges. As far as snacks, etc, I don't bring a ton. I'm not too worried onboard the ship as I can always find soda, juice, snacks, sugar, etc. Off the ship, I always bring a small tube of glucose tablets (which I keep refilling from a larger bottle), as well as a tube of ready made cake decorating icing, and a pocketful of hard candies. I have never had a problem this way. Hope some of this will help you out.

I like crossbody bags as opposed to back packs - easier for me to get stuff in and out and to maneuver the bag on and off my body! They come in all prices, sizes, colors, and shapes from messenger style to organizer bags, etc.

Let room steward know that you would like the refrigerator emptied so that you can keep your insulin in the fridge.

I like crossbody bags as opposed to back packs - easier for me to get stuff in and out and to maneuver the bag on and off my body! They come in all prices, sizes, colors, and shapes from messenger style to organizer bags, etc.

Let room steward know that you would like the refrigerator emptied so that you can keep your insulin in the fridge.

That's a Very important point! I asked the steward to make room for me in the fridge and he emptied it out and put all his stuff on the shelf on top of the fridge behind the tv, so he could easily check it daily. On the last night before home port when he's doing turn down service steward will take all of your stuff out, put all of his stuff back and lock the fridge. If you need extra ice to keep insulin over-night ask him for it and he'll be sure to give you an ice bucket full.

Thank you for the advice everyone!

Roz, I never thought of a backpack, that would work great! I have a small one for my laptop that I'm now thinking would be perfect.

We use a backpack as our carry on for airplanes. Then we take it on most of our excursions. We always use it for beach days and anything on boats. The only one we didn't take it on was zip-lining in Costa Rica.

Day time is casual. Don't forget a swimsuit cover up for when you want to go into the lido buffet.

Evenings I will wear skirts and tops, sundresses, etc. DH will wear collared shirt and khakis. We call it country club casual. :)

On our first cruise, I packed some Bonine just incase I got sea sick. I never needed to take it. If you are ok on smaller fishing boats, you should be fine on a cruise ship. But take it with you just in case. ;)

Have a great time on your trip.