Wind Star - New Cabin Design Review

stcruise

We were looking forward to experiencing Wind Star's new cabin design after seeing photos Windstar had posted. Would it live up to expectations? After living in it for one week, Tom and I can definitely say that we absolutely love it.

Here are some photos of the new cabin:

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I'll try to answer some cabin FAQ's.

Electrical outlets: There are three 110 and three 220. They are grouped as a pair and located by the dresser, the small table and next to the bed. We found the locations to be very convenient and had no trouble keeping everything charged (cameras, phones and computers). So unless you are traveling with a suitcase full of electronics, you should be OK even without a plug strip.

Safe: The safe is now located in the left-hand closet. It is activated with a pin that you set up. It is large - my husband was able to easily put in his 15" laptop computer with lots of room to spare.

Storage: Lots of storage! There is the five drawer dresser, the two-door closet with sliding wire bins at the bottom and a shelf on each side, sliding drawers under each of the seats. Bathroom design has not changed, so storage is the same as before.

From photos, we knew that the table could be lowered to make a couch instead of the two seats. However, everything was working so great, we never explored this option.

Our only complaint - there is a small stool located next to the dresser (shown in third photo with luggage on it). With the stool in this location, you cannot open the left-hand closet door completely without moving it. However, we felt that this was a very minor thing.

We felt that lots of thought was put into this new design and it has been very well executed. Kudos to Windstar on a job well done!

If anyone has any additional questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

The new cabin design is only on the Wind Star at this point (it can get a little confusing between the company "Windstar" and the ship "Wind Star"). My understanding is that the Wind Spirit is scheduled to have the new cabins in 2015. Not sure what the plans are for the Wind Surf.

All cabins except the Owner's Suite are the same.

The old cabin design only had one 110 and one 220 outlet. I have only been on the Wind Star and Wind Spirit, so I'm not sure what is available on the Wind Surf.

You're welcome, everyone. Hopefully you will enjoy the new design as much as we did.

Sunprince - Hopefully over the next week or so I will post a review of our cruise so you can get even more excited.:D

That would be appreciated by many.

Great review! We were on the 'Star since renovations, and the renovations are stunning. The 'Surf has had most renovations finished; the major clues we could still find from the "old" Club Med / 'Surf interior design are the two tiny safes, originally placed when the ship was Club Med I and two unrelated guests could be sharing a cabin; this will also be changed soon with an enlarged single safe. The Spirit will be done as indicated above - 2015 (when the Seabourn Spirit and Legend will also undergo renovations prior to initiating service as "Star" ships in April and May 2015).

As Windstar cruisers (we will make our 20th this year) we were disappointed with service and wear and tear under Ambassador Cruise lines, concerned as to who the "dark horse" buyers were after the auction, wondering if Xanterra knew what it was doing when it was revealed they were the buyers, extremely happy when they announced $18 million for refitting, and ecstatic when it was announced they purchased the Star (neé Seabourn) Pride, Legend and Spirit.

(We'll be in Barcelona to christen what will be the Star Pride on her maiden voyage as a Windstar ship departing May 5 2014 - and can hardly wait!)

JDiver - We were on the Spirit in 2011 when the Xanterra sale was announced, so it has been very interesting for us to see all the changes that they have accomplished. We've been very pleased and, for us, this new room design illustrates the care and thought that they have been putting into all the retrofits.

I know you'll have a great time on the Pride's maiden voyage - unfortunately timing did not allow us to do that cruise. With your vast experience with Windstar, I hope you do a review of that voyage. It would be interesting to get your perspective on Windstar's newest addition.

All the Wind Surf stateroom have been remodeled late 2012. Electrical outlet (110 and 220) are above the desk.

Unless you are in cabin 102. This is smaller and set up entirely different than the rest of the cabins. The only 110 outlet is so close to the wall, attached to the side of the dresser, that we had to ask for a power strip as our battery charger wouldn't fit. This cabin has 1/3 less drawer/dresser space than the others. it does not have bedside tables nor the shelf unit that sticks out into the room.

You also cannot get out of the bed on the side facing the outer wall as it is right up against the hull. You have to climb out over the end of the bed.

• 2 months later...

Since Wind Spirit cabins haven't been refurbed and I've seen two different examples of old cabins, which is the current Wind Spirit cabin- the red coverlet and blue carpet or navy coverlet and beige carpet? (please tell me it's the latter) :). And if there is no table, do they bring one in for room service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the Wind Surf stateroom have been remodeled late 2012. Electrical outlet (110 and 220) are above the desk.

That's where they were when we were in her in spring 2012--before the remodel.

I think the confusion going on is between "refurbish" and "redesign." Cabins on all three ships were refurbished with the new carpeting and color scheme. Since that time, the Wind Star cabins have now also been redesigned. Wind Spirit cabins will undergo redesign in early 2015, I think.

The photos posted at the beginning of this thread are of the Wind Star redesigned cabins. The old cabin design did not have the little seating area with table - instead it had a counter-type area that extended the full length of what is now this seating area. It looks like this:

ry%3D480

The little area in the middle can be made into a table. Plenty of storage in the cabin.

I've never been on Wind Surf, so have no photos of current cabin design and not really sure if they are planning anything new.

Hope this helps.

Edited by stcruise
Photo