Opinions about New Suite Benefits

FIRELT5

I know it isn't a one to one ratio, but in theory there will be same number of diners...if they take away part of MDR and if the "suite people" eat in the new section, the MDR will not really be affected as far as space (except for the walls and maybe more spacious table layouts).

That was my first reaction, that in theory it's just a different configuration of the same number of diners. But then there's the impact that Blu has had on the M-class MDRs, with tables placed closer together. Also across both M- and S-classes, the tables themselves are often more cramped, e.g. eight people placed at what would/should have been a 6-top, or 10 for an 8-top, and so on. And then in terms of staffing, the ratio will likely be more favourable for Suite Class dining room (and rightly so) than for the MDR, so will we see further degradation in terms of service?

This may upset some folks (or not, if X's plans are already firmed up then it's a moot point), but instead of a reduction of space and service in the MDR, I'd rather see the Suite Class dining room take the place of Bistro on Five.

This may upset some folks (or not, if X's plans are already firmed up then it's a moot point), but instead of a reduction of space and service in the MDR, I'd rather see the Suite Class dining room take the place of Bistro on Five.

If I may express a contrary view, better a minor reduction in space and service in the MDR, if in fact there will be any measurable reduction, than the total elimination of a facility that can be enjoyed by all passengers.

Edited by Fouremco

If I may express a contrary view, better a minor reduction in space and service in the MDR, if in fact there will be any measurable reduction, than the total elimination of a facility that can be enjoyed by all passengers.

Of course, contrary views are welcome and essential, especially when expressed by our Ottawa neighbours. :)

In theory I would agree. However while it can be enjoyed by all passengers (at a very reasonable $5 up-charge), it seems Bistro on Five is often underutilized. I don't generally buy the suggestion by some that the cruise lines are downgrading the MDR experience in order to steer more pax into specialty venues (not necessarily Bistro, but more so Murano, Qsine, Tuscan, etc, which we also enjoy), but this move could end up lending credence to that argument. I hope, if X are in fact proceeding with re-configuring the MDR, that the reductions will not be noticeable.

Sounds like they are attempting to emulate Cunard's Grills experience. They must have crunched the numbers and decided it's worthwhile from a revenue per square foot perspective. When the hoi polloi are smuggling liquor onboard in Listerine bottles, I can imagine X preferring to cater to the well-heeled. Like most things in life, you have to pay to play.

It seems to me that X is taking away access to Michael's club and premium theatre seats from the less affluent cruiser. Instead of adding benefits X is providing them by taking them away from the average cruiser.

Will they next designate one of the pools as a "suite" pool?

It is never good policy to reward those who pay more at the expense of those who once enjoyed those venues and seats. It now encourages an elitist public display of the privileged suite guest. In reality the average cruiser is sacrificing to provide these benefits not X.

I can't wait for this...will definitely continue to book suites even more now!! To the naysayers, book a suite and you get the perks...never understood people complaining about something that others are paying for??

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So it says that the drinks are only for the top suites, and the VIP club is for Celebrity suites and up... do Sky Suites get to go to the restaurant?

After all, if there's 123GO again (fingers crossed) then free drinks isn't that big a deal anyway.

On our January Silhouette cruise, Michael's was not busy. I started enjoying it when I noticed they had the single malt scotch I enjoy and started to go each evening as it was quite and you could actually hear the person you were talking to. I didn't ever get to visit it on our Reflection cruise last year and it was always empty when I walked by. I was talking to the bar tender on Silhouette about my fear that Celebrity would eventually close it if more people didn't start utilizing it. Seems they've found a use for it but not good for me come April 2015 if they just let suite people access.

Sky suites are not included in the new perks...celebrity suites are only included in "some" of the new perks...RS and up get ALL the new perks.

Edited by LOP

Sky suites are not included in the new perks...celebrity suites are only included in "some" of the new perks...RS and up get ALL the new perks.

I don't have any problem with Celebrity giving higher end suites extra perks. They pay a "grunch" of money for their staterooms.

So we may not be losing Bistro on 5

That's good news

Sorry about Michaels club though

I'll have to see how it works on our next sailing but these divisions in classes, even using the word classes just sounds elitist which rubs me the wrong way. Does sound like what I've heard about Cunard though I haven't sailed them yet. Maybe I'm too sensitive

It may relieve overcrowding in Blu that I've heard about

But will miss michaels club

Everyone talks about Cunard, what about NCL Haven or MSC Yacht Club? Same concepts, its the reality of trying to fill big ships with those that want rock bottom pricing vs. those that want a larger cabin and more upgraded amenities and are willing to pay for it. No one is denying anyone anything, the more you pay the more you get.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to cruise in either a Royal or Penthouse suite BUT I usually cruise with friends who are not booked in a suite. I wonder if I'll still be able to eat dinner with them in the MDR or if I will be "forced" to eat in the "Suites only" area??

Edited by jcpc

My strong guess is this is about flexibility, and you will be welcomed anywhere.

I like the idea and hope that they eventually find that they have capacity and interest and push this down to all categories of suites. If it is just RS and PH on most ships, that means 30 people max in the exclusive dining room, and likely less between specialty dining, in suite dining, and MDR. I would gladly pay more for a Sky Suite.

My strong guess is this is about flexibility, and you will be welcomed anywhere.

I like the idea and hope that they eventually find that they have capacity and interest and push this down to all categories of suites. If it is just RS and PH on most ships, that means 30 people max in the exclusive dining room, and likely less between specialty dining, in suite dining, and MDR. I would gladly pay more for a Sky Suite.

I'm reading it as all suites, including sky suites, will have access to the suite dining room, but only the higher end suites get access to the "VIP" lounge and the "premium" drink package, "free" internet, and no extra charge for specialty restaurants. I expect the fares for the suites to go up, a lot. I agree with you and also suspect that some tweaking of the program will take place as it is implemented.

Not sure why folks think the sky is falling and the caste system is alive and well...:rolleyes:

Suite passengers pay a premium...which now comes along with additional perks. We usually book a balcony cabin (1A hump, cc or AQ) although we just had our first CS and LOVED it!! I will book a balcony for short itineraries and a SS or CS for long itineraries ...especially in the Caribbean where we are about the ship and not the islands so much (been there done that). It appears that celebrity is trying to compete with new perks for suite guests and utilize space that is woefully underutilized.

I am happy we get to cruise a few times a year, happy about our CC Elite status and can hardly wait until we book another CS cabin on the hump. just wish these perks were rolled out in January! :)

I'm fortunate enough to be able to cruise in either a Royal or Penthouse suite BUT I usually cruise with friends who are not booked in a suite. I wonder if I'll still be able to eat dinner with them in the MDR or if I will be "forced" to eat in the "Suites only" area??

Me too!! We travel with friends and family, some book suites, others don't. I'm really concern about this change because I like to dine with them:confused::confused:

Edited by drarill