Luggage tags for carry-ons?

TequilaToo

Are the official RCI luggage tags necessary for your carry-on baggage, or only for your checked baggage, as long as there is some I.D. on the carry-on?

I make enough copies and put them on everything I carry on, including my purse. It doesn't hurt to do so and could possibly help if you accidently leave something lay somewhere. But I still use regular tags on my luggage too.

Gwen :)

Edited by cruzinlady1947

Thanks. I may have to get some extras for my carry-ons at the dock, in that case. Does the porter do that for you?

You can ask the porter, but they might be a little confused as to why you want luggage tags for bags that are not being checked.

You can ask the porter, but they might be a little confused as to why you want luggage tags for bags that are not being checked.

I thought of that....guess it depends on the porter you get. :rolleyes: Ok then, checked baggage first, carry-ons if there are any leftovers. No time to get more made now.

I make enough copies and put them on everything I carry on, including my purse. It doesn't hurt to do so and could possibly help if you accidently leave something lay somewhere. But I still use regular tags on my luggage too.

Gwen :)

While I don't think there is anything wrong with doing this, just to clear things up for the OP, the answer to your question is No. You only NEED luggage tags for bags you are checking. You do not need them for carry-ons.

We do not put luggage tags on carry ons. No need. We had an extra on a carryon once, and as I was unloading the car, the Porter grabbed it and sent it up. When I went to get it, it had my computer and some other valuables in it, I had to retrieve it from the main luggage pallet. It was already under some other luggage and they were getting ready to send it onboard. So I don't do that anymore. A regular ID tag doesn't hurt though.

We do not put luggage tags on carry ons. No need. We had an extra on a carryon once, and as I was unloading the car, the Porter grabbed it and sent it up. When I went to get it, it had my computer and some other valuables in it, I had to retrieve it from the main luggage pallet. It was already under some other luggage and they were getting ready to send it onboard. So I don't do that anymore. A regular ID tag doesn't hurt though.

Ohhhhhhh, I can TOTALLY see that happening to us! :eek: So glad you mentioned it! (ripping luggage tag off computer case as I type this!)

While I don't think there is anything wrong with doing this, just to clear things up for the OP, the answer to your question is No. You only NEED luggage tags for bags you are checking. You do not need them for carry-ons.

Agree - no harm, no foul.

That said...I have seen one person's carryon erroneously grabbed by a porter at the terminal, only to be located and returned because it HAD the tag on it.

There have also been a number of passengers who decide at the last minute to have all their bags checked in for boarding...and then without a tag - get delayed several extra minutes accordingly.

I also see no risk at having your cabin number showing via a luggage tag. Heck - all the bags are with tags out in the hall on the last sail night too. Much to do about nothing as far as any risk.

With my carry-ons, I always have them with me, so there is no need for a luggage tag. It would be the same as asking if you need a luggage tag for carry on luggage on a plane. Since it is in your possession (I hope) at all times, there is not need.

We do put tags even on our carry ons and for one cruise it worked out well. Upon boarding we were asked to leave our carryons in the corner near the elevator, the ones which didn't have tags, were tagged and when our rooms were ready they placed the carryons in everyones rooms . That was the only cruise that did that and it did save toting them around with us for 2 hours.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Totally agree. I always be sure to have our carry on bags up front with us,

separate from our checked bags in the back. The porters are so quick to whisk those bags

out of the trunk/hatch back....that they grab everything!! :eek: They are

quick. ;)

We do put tags even on our carry ons and for one cruise it worked out well. Upon boarding we were asked to leave our carryons in the corner near the elevator, the ones which didn't have tags, were tagged and when our rooms were ready they placed the carryons in everyones rooms . That was the only cruise that did that and it did save toting them around with us for 2 hours.

I put items in my carryon that are either valuable such as jewelry or electronics or important to me such as meds and cosmetics. No way would I be leaving it in someone else's care to be delivered later to my cabin. It has an ID tag but not a luggage tag.

Upon boarding we were asked to leave our carryons in the corner near the elevator, the ones which didn't have tags, were tagged and when our rooms were ready they placed the carryons in everyones rooms .

I have never heard of this happening. Was this on RCI or a smaller line? Were you asking to put them into your staterooms early and that's why they offered this? This doesn't sound like anything I've ever even heard of. Most people use carry-ons for valuables or critical items (cash, jewelry, medicine, etc...). With that in mind, why would anyone want to "leave (it)... in the corner"?

Gerif, nothing important like a camera or jewely is in my carry on, it is carried by me. The one cruise they asked us to leave carryons at the elevators ( ROS 2008 RT Hawaii) was the only cruise we have ever experienced this on and were surprised. Only thing in the carryon was a 3 day supply of clothes including a formal night attire, shoes.

Gerif, nothing important like a camera or jewely is in my carry on, it is carried by me. The one cruise they asked us to leave carryons at the elevators ( ROS 2008 RT Hawaii) was the only cruise we have ever experienced this on and were surprised. Only thing in the carryon was a 3 day supply of clothes including a formal night attire, shoes.

So what do you do? Stuff it in your pockets? Seriously, if I've got a camera, jewelry, meds and maybe a Nook, where else would I put it but my carry on? They would have quite a battle on their hands if they told me I had to turn it all over to them, not to mention an itemized liability waiver.

I thought of that....guess it depends on the porter you get. :rolleyes: Ok then, checked baggage first, carry-ons if there are any leftovers. No time to get more made now.

Why is it too late to get more luggage tags? All you have to do is print them.

Even if you are in one of the fancy cabins that get the pre-printed ones, or paid to have pre-printed ones mailed to you, why not go to the Royal Caribbean site, and try to print some paper one like the majority of passengers do. Unless you are leaving right now, you can do it. It's easy

Edited by Gayle V

I didn't read all the post, but I never put the ships tag on my carry-on, only the ones they take care of. I have never in 16 cruises, lost my carry-on. As said, before, I never leave it anywhere I don't know where it is. Of course, I do have my own ID on it.

Geri, camera is in camera case & around my neck. With the exception of that one cruise, we drag our carryons with us until the rooms open, so valuables generally go in the carry on. The day we boarded for the Hawaii, we were expecting to tote the carry on with us so it was a total surprise when they asked us to leave them. I did forget to mention, before leaving the carryon on, we attached the locks to them.

Why is it too late to get more luggage tags? All you have to do is print them.

Even if you are in one of the fancy cabins that get the pre-printed ones, or paid to have pre-printed ones mailed to you, why not go to the Royal Caribbean site, and try to print some paper one like the majority of passengers do. Unless you are leaving right now, you can do it. It's easy

Because we have been staying in a rental house that does not have a printer. No time to go to Staples again to print more from the file I downloaded onto my thumb drive.

Because we have been staying in a rental house that does not have a printer. No time to go to Staples again to print more from the file I downloaded onto my thumb drive.

I have used porter's tags several times when unable to get or print my tags at

home. Takes just a minute for them to do so, and no problems getting our bags

at all.