Grandeur out of Baltimore - tunnel/bridges

Does anyone know the time frames when leaving Baltimore when we would be passing under the Key Bridge and also when we would be passing through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel? Hoping not to miss either one, but I know it takes over 8-10 hours to get to the mighty Atlantic.

Thanks all!

Does anyone know the time frames when leaving Baltimore when we would be passing under the Key Bridge and also when we would be passing through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel? Hoping not to miss either one, but I know it takes over 8-10 hours to get to the mighty Atlantic.

Thanks all!

It's about 1-1/2 hours to the Key Bridge and about 8 hours to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. The Bay Bridge is interesting as the car headlights make them appear to be diving into the water on both sides as you pass over the tunnels.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks all!

It's more like less than an hour at most to the Key Bridge. It's the first bridge you pass under as you leave Baltimore. The Bay Bridge is closer to 2-2.5 hours from Baltimore. The Bay Bridge tunnel you will cross over around 11:30 pm when leaving Baltimore at 4, which is the normal sailing time.

If I am not mistaken you also pass under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, near Annapolis, about 4 hours after sail away. It is not the tunnel system.

You are correct - and I mistakenly used the OP's reference for the Key Bridge when meaning the Chesapeake Bridge, which as you indicate is near Annapolis. But I recall that as being about 1-1/2 hours - maybe 2 - after departure. Perhaps my timing is off, however. (We were at dinner at the time after which is why I reference that time frame).

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (correctly referenced with "Tunnel" added) is about 8 hours or so and is at Norfolk at the entrance to the Atlantic with the "disappearing cars" as indicated.

I appreciate the clarification - don't mean to confuse the OP's questions inadvertently.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It's more like less than an hour at most to the Key Bridge. It's the first bridge you pass under as you leave Baltimore. The Bay Bridge is closer to 2-2.5 hours from Baltimore. The Bay Bridge tunnel you will cross over around 11:30 pm when leaving Baltimore at 4, which is the normal sailing time.

This is correct;)

We have sailed from Baltimore several times. Each time we reached the Key Bridge around 45 minutes after leaving the port. Sailing at 4 pm that would put the Key Bridge around 4:45 pm and the double span Chesapeake Bay Bridge was reached around 6 pm so two hours from the port for that one.

Thanks all!

Key around dinner time ish and the CBBT 1130- midnight or so.

the Captain usually gets on the horn as you go under the Key bridge to remind you not to panic. there really is more than 6 inches of headroom.

I suggest finding a tasty umbrella drink and just hanging out by the railing to watch Ft McHenry pass by.

Great thread idea!! I was planning on checking the timing of these on Marine Traffic as our April cruise got closer. We sailed on Jewel out of Tampa last year and set an alarm to wake up and see the bridge at around 4am on our return trip in (the three prior sailing were less than 15 minutes apart in terms of the timing passing under). Does anyone know the return timing as well? I'll take a look at Marine Traffic and post the timing of the next few in/out trips.

Great thread idea!! I was planning on checking the timing of these on Marine Traffic as our April cruise got closer. We sailed on Jewel out of Tampa last year and set an alarm to wake up and see the bridge at around 4am on our return trip in (the three prior sailing were less than 15 minutes apart in terms of the timing passing under). Does anyone know the return timing as well? I'll take a look at Marine Traffic and post the timing of the next few in/out trips.

The best time to see the "tunnel bridge" and the disappearing cars is on the return trip and it happens about 10pm on your last night out.

The best time to see the "tunnel bridge" and the disappearing cars is on the return trip and it happens about 10pm on your last night out.

Thanks! Spreadsheet is built and I'll post the inbound/outbound times of the three crossings from Marine Traffic starting on 2/17 & 18.

Agreed! That is when we were able to see it from our balcony.

My times were probably off, I haven't sailed from Baltimore but once and that was 4 years ago.

Thank you all SO much! Guess my gf and I will have to strip ourselves away from the dance floor the first night to check out the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel then hurry back to the dance floor! Lol.

I think I will try seeing it the first night, I've traveled on the bridge tunnel numerous times, interested in seeing it from another vantage point, I think it's so interesting. In the event we miss it the first night, we'll be sure to keep 10pm in mind on the last night.

Thank you all so much, and here's to calm seas, blue skies, and glowing sunsets.

Thanks all!

IDK, but nice profile pic :D

We have been over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel several times since DH was in the Marines & stationed on a ship in Norfolk for 2 1/2 years & our sons were both in the Navy in Norfolk. I did go over the tunnel twice on a Navy ship on a day-long dependents cruise. I would love to see it after dark, though.

Key around dinner time ish and the CBBT 1130- midnight or so.

the Captain usually gets on the horn as you go under the Key bridge to remind you not to panic. there really is more than 6 inches of headroom.

I suggest finding a tasty umbrella drink and just hanging out by the railing to watch Ft McHenry pass by.

Before we got to the Key bridge in January, two people men up and lowered antennas (I don't know the name of the infrastructure they climbed but you know where I mean!). It had been raining all day. I don't know if the water level was higher than usual but that was the first in 4 trips down the bay that I've ever seen that.

Update from yesterdays outbound passage. I am trying to find a way to clean this up when I paste it from Excel. If I can't, I'll try and save it as an image instead after the next in/out trip.

Path	                Inbound   Outbound
Date	                   2/17 & 18	
Key Bridge	      5:56am	4:45pm
Chesapeake Bay Bridge	4:40am	5:55pm
Kellam Bridge/Tunnel 	9:18pm	12:18am

• 2 weeks later...

I found a better method for posting this. Its interesting, that she passed the Kellam Bridge/Tunnel about 25 minutes earlier than the last trip in, but the timing of the two other bridges was relatively close.

12833634233_fa08ab32e5_c.jpg

If anyone is using this for their upcoming cruise, could you please sang and share Cruise Compasses upon your return?

Likely talking to myself, but here is the updated data with yesterday's outbound trip:

12854086865_a0d512ee2f.jpg

Looks like she runs like clockwork on the outbound trip. Under 50 days to our trip on her and it can't come soon enough. Purchased the premium drink package yesterday and am researching its ins and outs way deeper than this!