raingear or umbrella for Panama Canal?

pompeii

We're starting to pull together our suitcases for our PC full transit next month. Would packing umbrellas or light rain jackets/ponchos be useful? I know it could rain in the tropics at any time. Anybody who has done this itinerary, did you take rain stuff and did you use it? Or was it just hot so you didn't mind getting a little wet?

We did the full transit a few years ago. Wonderful trip! We took those disposable ponchos but never used them. We were very lucky and didn't run into any rain at all. This was the first two weeks of February. Taking the ponchos is a lot less weight or bulk as opposed to an umbrella in my opinion.

I've done this several times and never wore anything other than light clothing. It's very hot and very humid so a rain jacket or even a plastic poncho might be stifling. I figure I will dry off if I get wet. Usually, the rain doesn't last long although it can be torrential.

Take the umbrella, it can also be used for sun protection.

That why I take a small (purse size) colorful umbrella -- Sun Protection! :D

We've taken several full transits and two partial transits all in the Jan/Feb time frame and never had rain. :)

LuLu

~~~~

We brought 2 of the cheap ponchos and did use them when we were taking the ferry boat tour through the canal. It rained quite hard so we would have gotten very wet. Everyone had to run for cover on the boat and we just stayed put, then when the rain was done, we could use the ponchos to sit on any other seat that may have been wet.

Enjoy your trip

The umbrellas can just be in the way and limit you and others if you are roaming different decks. I agree that the weather is sooo hot and humid, that to put on a poncho would be sweltering. Pack the stuff if you'd like, but I doubt you will think it neccesary.

We brought 2 of the cheap ponchos and did use them when we were taking the ferry boat tour through the canal. It rained quite hard so we would have gotten very wet. Everyone had to run for cover on the boat and we just stayed put, then when the rain was done, we could use the ponchos to sit on any other seat that may have been wet.

Enjoy your trip

What time of year did you go?

LuLu

~~~~

Going next month (March) is the height of the Dry Season in Panama and as well in places such as Cartagena and Costa Rica if they are included in your ports of call. That boils down to only a very slim chance that you could encounter a little of the liquid sunshine. Doesn't mean you won't get a shower or two somewhere on the cruise, so if you have the room toss something in your luggage if you want some insurance. Of course you realize by bringing any rain gear, you will not need it!

Doesn't mean you won't get a shower or two somewhere on the cruise, so if you have the room toss something in your luggage if you want some insurance. Of course you realize by bringing any rain gear, you will not need it!

Then I'm packing it for sure!!! lol!!! Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I think I'll pack the little umbrellas just to be on the safe side. I've spent a lot of time in the tropics so I know the kind of downpours that can happen!

Just got back from a full transit. Hot as blazes in Panama and Costa Rica; never rained the whole trip. We did pack vinyl waterproof windbreakers but used them only to stay (semi)dry on a whale watch trip in Cabo.

How did you like it, Shorefolks? Do you have any other tips to divulge? I'd love to hear about your trip!

It rained the whole time we were in the canal.... we had light weight poncho's and were so glad we did... we were in and out from the front to the back and we could easily slip them off and on when we wanted to be inside. Kept our hands free for taking pictures.

We carry both just in case on all of our cruises. In 2012 on our complete transit cruise we had both and never needed either. You just never know and they don't take up that much space when packing. Be safe.....

Previous Cruises

Alaska - 2008 Island Princess

Alaska - 2009 (B2B) Island Princess

Alaska - 2010 Royal Princess (Old)

Alaska - 2011 Golden Princess

Panama Canal - 2012 Coral Princess

Alaska - 2012 Star Princess

Western Caribbean - 2013 Crown Princess

Western Caribbean – 2013 Caribbean Princess

Alaska - 2013 Island Princess

Future Cruises

Eastern Caribbean - 2014 Royal Princess (New)

New England – 2014 Royal Princess (New)

• 2 weeks later...

I've traveled the Panama Canal twice and it rained both times so I would not travel without rain gear even if it's a poncho and small umbrella. It rained during the transit through the canal both times. I'm traveling this September and wouldn't be without anything for the rain.

Tom:)

Just got back from our full transit of the canal. We purchased the ponchos offered by the shops on the ship (because I didn't realize we had booked an excursion in the rain forest). We didn't use them, but for the cost it was a no brainer.

So, bring a poncho if you can. My only other tip would be if you have early dining on the canal day, switch it up. In case you are late.

Have a great cruise!