Clothing Optional Cruise

richard1s

Somebody, somewhere, posted a link to a site that showed what groups were sailing on each voyage. I've tried to find it, but can't. I know there will be a group on my upcoming trip on the Westy, but it really doesn't bother me. When I saw the list, it basically indicated that there are usually multiple groups on each sailing. Most are pretty small. The larger ones can be an issue, but I don't see much of a reason to get upset over it.

Here the story about the incident:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/fl-holland-america-cruise-rape-overboard-20140218,0,7727316.story

We have been on nearly twenty CO cruises. Our first one was just to do something different, well to my amazement my wife began hooked on this type of cruise ever since.

Let see; Holland American, Costa, Carnival, Star Clipper, Paul Gauguin, Celebrity are some of the cruise lines that we have sailed CO.

Edited by Icecat

Well, to be fair, we Cruise Critic persons are a group and we expect the use of the Crow's Nest for our meet and greets and sometimes the ship will have a special cruise critic luncheon for us. And not only do we not pay more for the privilege, the ship loses shore excursion profits from us. So I won't complain about a group that would like to vacation together.

We did our meet and greet in the Piano Bar, and while we took up a large portion of the seats, they didn't stop other passengers from using the location.

To even discuss this, we need to define "large group". 500 people on the Oasis is not the same as on a Fantasy class ship. Or lord help us, one of the 750 passenger ships of other fleets. I read a very nice story of a member of CC who arranged a birthday party for her husband. They had 50 surprise guests. They hung out together, sang songs, sat in bars together and took over a portion of the MDR by sitting in groups.

Are you saying other cruisers should be warned about this? If not, please say why not. I would have felt left out. They wore buttons saying happy birthday, carried signs saying happy birthday and did almost all the singing at Karaoke.

You see where I am with this. How about a wedding with 100 guests? Small group you might say, but not on that 750 passenger ship. I would guess large ships have several groups of 100 people on every sailing. As mentioned earlier, a warning that Cruise Critic Members will be aboard should be posted to warn other cruisers because we are a large group that might irritate someone with our love of cruising.

As with most things in life, it always comes down to where do you draw the line. How do you define terms you might consider pre defined. You see this issue all over here on CC. Dress code, obnoxious behavior, rudeness ..etc.

To close, if the cruise lines agreed to warn when more than 90% of passengers would be part of a group, would you be happy? If they started publicizing on their website months in advance "Mr. and Mrs. Jones will be onboard celebrating their 10th anniversary" and you were them, would you mind?

To even discuss this, we need to define "large group". 500 people on the Oasis is not the same as on a Fantasy class ship. Or lord help us, one of the 750 passenger ships of other fleets.

I would feel that to define a "large group" the best way to do this is to define it as a percentage.

Are you saying other cruisers should be warned about this? If not, please say why not.

No, I don't believe that I need to be warned that a certain group is on my cruise. A group doesn't detract from my cruise. An annoying group does. And an extremely large group does that. So, I do feel that large group bookings should have additional rules and that I should be told. After all, they get additional privileges too.

To close, if the cruise lines agreed to warn when more than 90% of passengers would be part of a group, would you be happy? If they started publicizing on their website months in advance "Mr. and Mrs. Jones will be onboard celebrating their 10th anniversary" and you were them, would you mind?

I wouldn't mind if I was part of a group of percentage of around 30-35% if it was mentioned. After all, I know a large number of the pax is going to be me and my group. If I was 5-10% of the pax with my group I'd be a little bit surprised, people probably wouldn't even notice my group.

In my perfect world:

If a group is 80-90% of the bookings, they should charter.

If a group is 60-70% of the bookings, HAL should reduce pricing and let additional pax know that they will be a minority on the cruise and that the group has additional privileges (some venues will be closed for meetings, dining times harder) that they won't receive. Pax booking this cruise now will not be disappointed or annoyed, because they agreed to it.

If a group is over 30% of the bookings, a notification should go out to the other pax that there will be a significant amount of people belonging to a group. If that group bothers you or if you have negative responses to such a group - you can choose to book another cruise.

Pax in a group booking should be told that they receive additional privileges, but in return, they are asked not to bother other pax with their beliefs, politics, or whatever the group is. That wearing matching shirts or whatever is fine, as long as it's not disruptive and to know that trying to 'take over' a whole bar or venue is not allowed and they will be asked to leave if they do that. At the same time, if the venue is reserved, staff from HAL will ask other pax outside the group to leave.

That way, I think the groups can be happy and the non-group pax can be happy too. However, this is my perfect world, and I think HAL doesn't want to bother with it, because complaints from regular pax are low. It would be stellar service though.

Edited by cruise_bunnies

Like most, I venture onto a cruise ship to somewhat escape reality and just relax. I am not aboard to be force fed political or social ideologies. I even maintain a temporary divorce from Fox, MSNBC and CNN for the duration of the voyage safe in the knowledge that all the insanity will be there when I debark the vessel.

I resent, with vigor, having my senses assaulted by a person or group of persons who think a cruise ship is a fertile environment to peddle their adopted philosophies. I accept the reality that neither HAL nor any competitors will advise customers, in advance, that a particular group has booked.

That said, it is my unwavering belief that HAL (and the other lines) have an inherent duty to segregate groups of this nature out of the sight and hearing of others. Give them a lounge perhaps, but do not allow them to perpetrate their vitriol to the point that it stands out from crowds in restaurants and other public areas.

Cruising is a vacation environment. Many of us work hard to bridle our philosophies and opinions so as not to provoke controversy that might escalate with great passion.

There are too many choices sailing the seven seas to tolerate a cruise line that allows public demonstrations outside of knobby knee contests.

We did our meet and greet in the Piano Bar, and while we took up a large portion of the seats, they didn't stop other passengers from using the location.

HAL may not have stopped other passengers from using the location, but did the meet and group prevent others from using it?

In my perfect world:

If a group is 80-90% of the bookings, they should charter.

If a group is 60-70% of the bookings, HAL should reduce pricing and let additional pax know that they will be a minority on the cruise and that the group has additional privileges (some venues will be closed for meetings, dining times harder) that they won't receive. Pax booking this cruise now will not be disappointed or annoyed, because they agreed to it.

If a group is over 30% of the bookings, a notification should go out to the other pax that there will be a significant amount of people belonging to a group. If that group bothers you or if you have negative responses to such a group - you can choose to book another cruise.

Pax in a group booking should be told that they receive additional privileges, but in return, they are asked not to bother other pax with their beliefs, politics, or whatever the group is. That wearing matching shirts or whatever is fine, as long as it's not disruptive and to know that trying to 'take over' a whole bar or venue is not allowed and they will be asked to leave if they do that. At the same time, if the venue is reserved, staff from HAL will ask other pax outside the group to leave.

What are you going to consider as a group? Are we going to define groups by race. religion, nationality. If the NAACP had a group on board would you feel the need to be notified? What about a group of Shriners? People just need to lighten up and enjoy their trip and not worry who else might be enjoying theirs.

What are you going to consider as a group? Are we going to define groups by race. religion, nationality.

I thought that we were talking about a group booking - aka a group of people that book together - or an organization that books for a whole group of people on a specific sailing.

Most people don't care about the composition of the cruisers they sail with. They care about a huge group of people who all know each other and clique together, making the meeting of new friends impossible or difficult. A booked group of people who act obnoxious in trying to convert people or talk people into sensitive subjects. Or a large group booking who get that much special privileges (venues closing, dining times closed, specialty restaurants closed) that it negatively impacts their cruise.

It doesn't matter what type of organization is behind that booking or what the background of the group is. If I'm booked in a 750 pax cruise with 700 pax who are celebrating a marriage together, I will probably feel left out, doesn't matter that I love marriages and I feel everybody has the right to celebrate them. I think almost all people will agree that they'd rather be on another cruise, where more mingling would occur and that it would be more pleasant for them.

Edited by cruise_bunnies

Like most, I venture onto a cruise ship to somewhat escape reality and just relax. I am not aboard to be force fed political or social ideologies. I even maintain a temporary divorce from Fox, MSNBC and CNN for the duration of the voyage safe in the knowledge that all the insanity will be there when I debark the vessel.

I resent, with vigor, having my senses assaulted by a person or group of persons who think a cruise ship is a fertile environment to peddle their adopted philosophies. I accept the reality that neither HAL nor any competitors will advise customers, in advance, that a particular group has booked.

That said, it is my unwavering belief that HAL (and the other lines) have an inherent duty to segregate groups of this nature out of the sight and hearing of others. Give them a lounge perhaps, but do not allow them to perpetrate their vitriol to the point that it stands out from crowds in restaurants and other public areas.

Cruising is a vacation environment. Many of us work hard to bridle our philosophies and opinions so as not to provoke controversy that might escalate with great passion.

There are too many choices sailing the seven seas to tolerate a cruise line that allows public demonstrations outside of knobby knee contests.

Well said!

I simply do not want to know ANYTHING about ANYONE sailing with me, (aside from pleasant and articulate chit-chat). Spare me your political leanings, your sexual preferences, your religious beliefs, and even your take on global warming! Really.... :eek::eek:

Most have read the report of the horrible, unforgiveable assault that occurred on the Nieuw Amsterdam; I am sure that we all hope that justice is swift for the perpetrator & the person is punished accordingly.

On a completely separate topic, I am surprised that there is such a thing as a "clothing optional" cruise; I have never heard of this before, ever. I (hopefully) believe that there is an isolated area of the ship for sun bathing "sans clothing"; I can't imagine anything beyond that. Sometimes I have to work my courage up just to walk through the pool area on a normal cruise. I don't need more.

I also find it interesting that these themes are sometimes not disclosed at the time of booking. Our recent NA cruise was a "gay and lesbian" cruise. First, control the impulse to chastise me, neither my wife nor I have any problem with this issue - at all; in fact, I didn't even realize it until mid-week and when someone told me. Duh.

Maybe if there is a "theme" to the cruise, the timing of disclosing the decision is a factor or perhaps it is just policy; but I would appreciate knowing if it is "official" when I book the trip.

I have heard some horror stories about theme cruises - and often it is the "Insurance Actuary Theme Cruise" or the like that engenders the most collective outrageous behavior. But I think most of us book assuming that the new population of the cruise city are all anonymous strangers who want to get away for some peace and quiet on our own terms and in private.

HaHA if you are surprised by a clothing optional cruise, you will be really surprised about the "swinger" cruises! :o

I feel that the cruise lines should always inform the public whenever there are groups on boards - whether that is for a theme cruise or any other type of cruise. Any large group on a cruise has the very real potential to change the dynamics of the cruise for many passengers. People behave very differently when they are part of a group, and sadly, many groups are completely oblivious to how their behaviour affect others around them.

I disagree. Discrimination is discrimination, and what you propose leads to discrimination. Perhaps not you, but others will mis-apply the information and someone will be damaged.

Groups can also enhance the dynamic on a cruise and I support that 100%.

How is being in the presence of others "force feeding" anything or anyone? If they are rude, then complain about their rudeness, as you would on any occasion.

So you think the cruise line has "an inherent duty to segregate groups of this nature out of the sight and hearing of others?" They call that segregation, and made it illegal. Oh no... not you! You sound awfully like the atheists who sue to prevent the Ten Commandments in the courthouse, or a manger scene on public property. They are enforcing their view on others, just as you want to force your views on the cruise line.

The Muscular Dystrophy Association should hide their members away from your view? How about the "Washington Family Reunion?" Or is the "Evangelical Snake Handlers Society?" Better?

I'm being slightly ridiculous, and I hope not rude. Please forgive me if I am... but the point is obvious why the cruise lines will never stoop to this because it invites discrimination, and discrimination is wrong.

And it is one step away from someone who is mentally disturbed deciding to go on a cruise to do physical harm to someone in a group they don't like. What might one religious terrorist group do if they knew another religious group they disliked was going to be gathered on a ship?

I disagree. Discrimination is discrimination, and what you propose leads to discrimination. Perhaps not you, but others will mis-apply the information and someone will be damaged.

Groups can also enhance the dynamic on a cruise and I support that 100%.[/SIZE]

I agree if the group is small enough that it does not interrupt the other cruise passengers. I would not like a pool closed or a lounge closed for a private party.

Last year on the second week of our Collectors Cruise there was a small group (maybe 75 people) attending some type of living with Parkinsons seminar. We would not have known about this group except they did have reserved dining tables very near us. They met in one of the private rooms during the mornings. We grew to better appreciate the spouses of those affected with the disease. We also learned that if you walk into the MDR and see an abundance of walkers or wheelchairs you should not assume it is because your cruise is full of old people.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Thank you. Some folks just don't understand. We weren't on this recent cruise, but are waiting for word tomorrow if anyone booked the cabin we want for the 2016 Celebrity Connie, which will be for my 50th birthday / 30th wedding anniversary. If not, it's mine all mine, and I can't wait! :)

I hope you make the 2016 .. wonderful ports of call!

My only problem with large groups is that they are allowed exclusive use of popular public venues such as the pool at certain hours, the Crows Nest, and Pinnacle Grill which certainly all pax expect to be able to use and are advertised as amenities for everyone.

I agree! I also feel if there are more than 200 or 300 people who are a Group, we should be informed at booking! I've sailed on two cruises where we were not informed and the Groups Onboard did have an impact on venues, etc. We also were not able to have our choice of a Dining time because the Group requested the same time. I don't care who the Group is I just want the choice of knowing and whether I want to sail!

Regarding Nudist cruises...we sailed the sailing after a Nudist cruise two years ago. After speaking with Crew members and hearing some of their stories it was a very uncomfortable feeling sitting on MDR chairs, the seating in Lounges, etc. and wondering if the furniture was sanitized (we would cover our Balcony chairs with a towel)! :eek: Another case that if we had been aware of a Nudist cruise prior to ours we would not have booked that particular week. If someone wants to flame me, so be it! It's our vacation and our vacation dollars and we should be informed in order to make the right choice for us!

I agree! I also feel if there are more than 200 or 300 people who are a Group, we should be informed at booking! I've sailed on two cruises where we were not informed and the Groups Onboard did have an impact on venues, etc. We also were not able to have our choice of a Dining time because the Group requested the same time. I don't care who the Group is I just want the choice of knowing and whether I want to sail!

Regarding Nudist cruises...we sailed the sailing after a Nudist cruise two years ago.

I agree about the groups. I am paying full fare (and sometimes more, if I cruise solo). I don't mind if a group takes up PART of a location for their activities, but they shouldn't be allowed the exclusive use of things...except, for example, something like using the theater for a lecture at a time it would not otherwise be available for passenger use.

One of my HAL cruises was just after a nude cruise. The waiters and cabin stewards had some good stories. They all seemed to be okay with working around naked people but some of them said that they would have been more comfortable staying ashore, but couldn't really afford to.

We too have had bad experience with a large group. It was on Norwegian. It seemed like they constituted half the ship. Venues closed, ec. One night a comedian was to be in one of the venues. The groups meeting prior ran over. After almost 2 hours over I thought there was going to be a riot. Staff did nothing. A group of passengers stampeded into the lounge and made so much noise the group had to conclude their meeting.

As others have said, when you pay good money for a cruise, you expect to have use of the whole ship.

Cruise lines disclosing groups traveling on a cruise just screams discrimination.

The demographics of passengers is not disclosed to anyone. They would never say "we expect about 1/3 of the ship to be Americans and 1/3 of the ship to be Canadians, etc"...so it wouldn't make sense for them to say "we expect about 1/3 of the ship to be gay and 1/3 of the ship to be a group of realtors and the rest of the ship will be everyone else".

After 17 cruises, I have never had a problem cruising with people from other countries...that is usually what happens when you take one of the Med trips or Asia cruise, or even to the Caribbean (lots of Brits and Canadians).

However, when a large group of a particular political leaning or sexual leaning takes over a good portion of the ship..then yes, it is my right as a cruiser to know that ahead of time.

Those folks have a right to book '1/3rd of the ship' and I, as all other cruisers deserve to know of these bookings and to 'not' choose that particular cruise, by knowing ahead of time of this.

I am able to mingle politely with all sorts of people from all walks of life. However, these 'groups' should not infringe on the rights of those who do not share their views and who also occupy space that normally would be available to the other pax.

That is what charters are intended for. HAL or any other cruise line should clearly state which large 'special interest' group is booked. That ought to be a right of any person booking their cruise. Why would HAL or other cruise lines want to hide this information?

After 17 cruises, I have never had a problem cruising with people from other countries...that is usually what happens when you take one of the Med trips or Asia cruise, or even to the Caribbean (lots of Brits and Canadians).

However, when a large group of a particular political leaning or sexual leaning takes over a good portion of the ship..then yes, it is my right as a cruiser to know that ahead of time.

Those folks have a right to book '1/3rd of the ship' and I, as all other cruisers deserve to know of these bookings and to 'not' choose that particular cruise, by knowing ahead of time of this.

I am able to mingle politely with all sorts of people from all walks of life. However, these 'groups' should not infringe on the rights of those who do not share their views and who also occupy space that normally would be available to the other pax.

That is what charters are intended for. HAL or any other cruise line should clearly state which large 'special interest' group is booked. That ought to be a right of any person booking their cruise. Why would HAL or other cruise lines want to hide this information?

I can imagine that HAL must address this in their cruise ticket contract. No doubt they reserve the right not to furnish the info that you feel you have a right to. If HAL does indeed reserve the right in the ticket contract not to disclose info on groups, then passengers are, in effect, agreeing to that stipulation when they book a HAL cruise. It would also not surprise me if the ticket contract provided for limited access (by general passengers) to some venues if said venue has been "rented" by a "group".

Edited by oncruisecontrol

hey, folks. i guess 'it is what it is' as they say. lines have to make money; and charters and groups fill that bill. i'm not happy that on one leg of my b2b next month is a 'group' of fundamentalist guitar-playing and gospel-singing folks with some guy named schultz. but what can i do? only complain if they try to 'convert' me; get in my face; take over pools and public venues, and on and on. i booked this cruise and only found out about the schultz group after. i'll be wiser the next time. i am not looking forward to this, i can assure you.