Clothing Optional Cruise

richard1s

Regarding Nudist cruises...we sailed the sailing after a Nudist cruise two years ago. After speaking with Crew members and hearing some of their stories it was a very uncomfortable feeling sitting on MDR chairs, the seating in Lounges, etc. and wondering if the furniture was sanitized (we would cover our Balcony chairs with a towel)! :eek: Another case that if we had been aware of a Nudist cruise prior to ours we would not have booked that particular week. If someone wants to flame me, so be it! It's our vacation and our vacation dollars and we should be informed in order to make the right choice for us!

Can we just laugh at you intead?

I don't know how this thread morphed ito what it is, but that's the internet for you!

First off, I could care less what group may do a full ship charter. Truth be told, we were considering the Bare Necessities N.A. cruise, but our Daughter's due date was the week before and, being her first child, we had no way of knowing when our Grandson would arrive. Some folks perception of nude recreation (Sometimes called a "Nacation") is severely warped. The vast majority of nudist like recreating sans clothing because they like being in the natural state. No one is there to look at or judge others. There is a very strong sense of "self policing" regarding behaviors. No one's bare butt would get even close to a chair without everyone around them yelling "Yo, where's your towel."

Anyway.

Onto the other half of the discussion.

A large group, no matter what makes up the group, is a huge pain in the neck to the non group members on the cruise. Our first cruise on the Westerdam had a very large group of St. Louis Cardinals baseball fans. We had no idea of this before we were in line for boarding and noticed all of the Cardinals Jerseys being worn. They had exclusive use of the Queen's Lounge during the entire cruise. They had exclusive use of the aft pool on the first sea day. On formal nights in the MDR their standard of dress was shorts, sneakers, Cardinal Jerseys and ball caps. No one tried to convince my wife and I to convert from Phillies Phans into rooting for the Cardinals. We actually ran into Tony LaRussa and Albert Pujols at various points over the week and they were complete gentleman. Nevertheless, if we had known this was going to be the case we likely would have chosen to cruise on the Oosterdam that week, which left the day after our cruise.

It isn't that there is a large group of whatever inclination, persuasion or fandom, it is the fact that they get exclusive use to areas of the ship that are advertized as "Public Spaces." I find it annoying to book a cruise expecting to have use of all advertized venues and when I am told "You can't use this pool today, only members of this group have access" I don't think it right that I wasn't advised of that before I made final payment and had an opportunity to decide if I was OK with that.

..................it was a very uncomfortable feeling sitting on MDR chairs, the seating in Lounges, etc. and wondering if the furniture was sanitized ........./QUOTE]

Evidently you don't know that these nudists are more or less sun-worshipers at the beaches and pools when on vacation. They are dressed in the dining room and for the evening, so your worry and angst was for nothing. As for balcony chairs you can be sure there are regular cruisers on regular cruises that sit out on their balcony nude (and on indoor cabin furniture).

Edited by peaches from georgia

We can all say what we think the Lines should do, BUT they do what they want!

Very true!

It makes total sense for the cruise lines to limit information on large groups, given the almost universal dislike by other passengers sailing with them. The cruise lines still have berths to fill and information that would reduce that possibility won't be forthcoming.

Very true!

It makes total sense for the cruise lines to limit information on large groups, given the almost universal dislike by other passengers sailing with them. The cruise lines still have berths to fill and information that would reduce that possibility won't be forthcoming.

Of course you are correct. However, cruise lines have no problem playing a little game with the regular cruisers. They won't tell because they would lose booking from non-group cruisers, but have no problem continuing to advertise the public amenities such as lounges, sun and fun at the aft pool, As You Wish dining etc. and accepting non-group bookings and payments, all the while knowing not all of these things will be available to the non-group pax. False advertising IMO.

..................it was a very uncomfortable feeling sitting on MDR chairs, the seating in Lounges, etc. and wondering if the furniture was sanitized ........./QUOTE]

Evidently you don't know that these nudists are more or less sun-worshipers at the beaches and pools when on vacation. They are dressed in the dining room and for the evening, so your worry and angst was for nothing. As for balcony chairs you can be sure there are regular cruisers on regular cruises that sit out on their balcony nude (and on indoor cabin furniture).

I was just about to say the same thing!

There are all kinds of rules the nude cruisers must follow, and one of them is that clothing is worn in the dining room, show lounges and other venues.

And, agree with Peaches, plenty of "regular" cruisers might venture out au naturel on the balcony for sunbathing or maybe a little evening delight.

If you do a little research on the charter site, you can find some of the rules for the nude cruises.

Here are a couple.

All passengers must be dressed any time the ship is in port or the Captain announces that clothing is required. Announcements will only be made when the ship is entering a port.

All passengers must be dressed for meals in the dining room and if they choose to attend the Captain’s Cocktail Party.

Please do not sit nude on the ship furnishings. Towels will be provided throughout the ship.

I don't know how this thread morphed ito what it is, but that's the internet for you!

First off, I could care less what group may do a full ship charter. Truth be told, we were considering the Bare Necessities N.A. cruise, but our Daughter's due date was the week before and, being her first child, we had no way of knowing when our Grandson would arrive. Some folks perception of nude recreation (Sometimes called a "Nacation") is severely warped. The vast majority of nudist like recreating sans clothing because they like being in the natural state. No one is there to look at or judge others. There is a very strong sense of "self policing" regarding behaviors. No one's bare butt would get even close to a chair without everyone around them yelling "Yo, where's your towel."

Anyway.

Onto the other half of the discussion.

A large group, no matter what makes up the group, is a huge pain in the neck to the non group members on the cruise. Our first cruise on the Westerdam had a very large group of St. Louis Cardinals baseball fans. We had no idea of this before we were in line for boarding and noticed all of the Cardinals Jerseys being worn. They had exclusive use of the Queen's Lounge during the entire cruise. They had exclusive use of the aft pool on the first sea day. On formal nights in the MDR their standard of dress was shorts, sneakers, Cardinal Jerseys and ball caps. No one tried to convince my wife and I to convert from Phillies Phans into rooting for the Cardinals. We actually ran into Tony LaRussa and Albert Pujols at various points over the week and they were complete gentleman. Nevertheless, if we had known this was going to be the case we likely would have chosen to cruise on the Oosterdam that week, which left the day after our cruise.

It isn't that there is a large group of whatever inclination, persuasion or fandom, it is the fact that they get exclusive use to areas of the ship that are advertized as "Public Spaces." I find it annoying to book a cruise expecting to have use of all advertized venues and when I am told "You can't use this pool today, only members of this group have access" I don't think it right that I wasn't advised of that before I made final payment and had an opportunity to decide if I was OK with that.

Very well said!

That's not what was told to us! According to the Crew on the Ship they did not dress for Dinner, Shows and Lounges. Actually, the only time it was required they wear clothes on the Ship was when they were docked in a Port. The Crew & Staff told us they went all over the Ship and, yes, to dinner without a stitch on!

There maybe some regular cruisers that like to sit naked on their balcony but that would be the exception and not the norm especially when the balcony glass is reflective and you can actually see on your neighbor's balcony. Also, if someone is standing at the rail, they could easily look over onto their neighbor's.

I sincerely hope they were provided with towels to cover the chairs!

Edited by idiebabe

As I stated previously, I could see them disclosing that there will be a large group on the ship, but not saying what the group is. When you say what the group is, then it is discrimination because that may or may not sway people's choice of the cruise.

Why should crew members be subjected to seeing naked people everywhere?

I'm sure they had no idea they would be subjected to this when they signed on.

Time to show some dignity and respect for others.

It's been posted many times any crew who did not want to work the charter could transfer to another ship for the week.

When you say what the group is, then it is discrimination because that may or may not sway people's choice of the cruise.

No, it's not. It's providing objective information about the cruise environment. If people choose not to book that cruise, that's their right, and even if their reasons are discriminatory, they still have that right. The potential passengers are not doing anything illegal if they choose not to book because a group with which they don't want to share a cruise is booked.

It's been posted many times any crew who did not want to work the charter could transfer to another ship for the week.

That's probably a lot easier said than done ... and there have been crew members who thought they would be okay working on this type of charter, but who actually weren't once things got underway ...

That's probably a lot easier said than done ... and there have been crew members who thought they would be okay working on this type of charter, but who actually weren't once things got underway ...

I remember several crew members on one of my HAL cruises telling me that if they chose not to go on a cruise with a particular group, they not only weren't paid, they also had to pay for their onshore accommodation, food, etc. So I would think a lot of the crew simply can't afford to use that option.

Can we just laugh at you intead?

LOL - so you appointed yourself as, what - oh the comedian, the standard or just some pompous internet person who puts someone down with your witty observation?

Thanks, but I will pass on the cruise, following the "nude cruise". No matter what anyone says, because there are rules for "nudist" to sit on towels or whatever prim protocol is called for, it is hard to imagine that someone who is attracted to a lifestyle of not wearing clothes will always follow these rules. Will someone not a "nudist" sit on their balcony or stateroom furniture with their bare bottom and without a towel, maybe. But will someone who likes being in the buff do it, also maybe but perhaps with a little more probability because it is so liberating. Personally, I do not want to follow that act.

If someone wants to get an "all over tan" - great, how unconventional and exciting. But I choose commenting about this to the cruise lines that I enjoy travelling on and I will let them make their future decisions after considering my input and spending habits.

No, it's not. It's providing objective information about the cruise environment. If people choose not to book that cruise, that's their right, and even if their reasons are discriminatory, they still have that right. The potential passengers are not doing anything illegal if they choose not to book because a group with which they don't want to share a cruise is booked.

What I'm saying is that if the cruiseline tells someone what a group consists of they would be liable. People can be as discriminatory as they want...companies cannot.

LOL - so you appointed yourself as, what - oh the comedian, the standard or just some pompous internet person who puts someone down with your witty observation?

Thanks, but I will pass on the cruise, following the "nude cruise". No matter what anyone says, because there are rules for "nudist" to sit on towels or whatever prim protocol is called for, it is hard to imagine that someone who is attracted to a lifestyle of not wearing clothes will always follow these rules. Will someone not a "nudist" sit on their balcony or stateroom furniture with their bare bottom and without a towel, maybe. But will someone who likes being in the buff do it, also maybe but perhaps with a little more probability because it is so liberating. Personally, I do not want to follow that act.

If someone wants to get an "all over tan" - great, how unconventional and exciting. But I choose commenting about this to the cruise lines that I enjoy travelling on and I will let them make their future decisions after considering my input and spending habits.

You seem to have a very low opinion of nudists. If you chose to educate yourself a little about us you would be surprised. Or don't and as you say just avoid us.

You seem to have a very low opinion of nudists. If you chose to educate yourself a little about us you would be surprised. Or don't and as you say just avoid us.

Quite the contrary, I have no issues with it at all; to each his own.

But for someone who asks visitors to leave their shoes at the door like we do at home, I just don't want to be on the cruise that follows. But also, there are many private venues with strict rules for nudist, and I don't think a cruise ship offers that. Finally, I also believe that some of the crew is very uncomfortable with it - so why should they be forced to work it. Would something like that work in your own office - e.g. redefining "casual Friday"?

Giving them the option of leaving the ship for a week is probably much more complicated for some than it sounds. I just don't think it is fair, that's all.

Thank you for taking the time to post your views. By the way, how was the cruise?

No way am I shocked at the fact that you are a nudist or that you were on the cruise. Good for you, I feel everyone has to do what makes them happy as long as it makes you happy and its legal and has no ill effect on others. I am also a germaphobe and wipe everything down not only on cruise ships but everywhere. I feel like by the people on this cruise sitting on a towel , picking it up and carrying it off to the next place is a bit like me carrying my underwear around the ship. I am not trying to be mean in any way, I just want to insure if I get on a ship of its cleanliness.

No way am I shocked at the fact that you are a nudist or that you were on the cruise. Good for you, I feel everyone has to do what makes them happy as long as it makes you happy and its legal and has no ill effect on others. I am also a germaphobe and wipe everything down not only on cruise ships but everywhere. I feel like by the people on this cruise sitting on a towel , picking it up and carrying it off to the next place is a bit like me carrying my underwear around the ship. I am not trying to be mean in any way, I just want to insure if I get on a ship of its cleanliness.

Antsnanny.. You are quoting the wrong person.. Himself is NOT a nudist-he is a Priest & you are being very insulting! Suggest you ask the hosts to remove your post..

Thank you for taking the time to post your views. By the way, how was the cruise?

No way am I shocked at the fact that you are a nudist or that you were on the cruise.

Think maybe you hit the wrong quote, antsnanny? :confused:

I'm pretty sure Himself wasn't on this cruise, and considering what he's retired from, I would be very surprised if he ever was. :p

Time to break out that Irish sense of humor, Father.

Edited by RuthC

Think maybe you hit the wrong quote, antsnanny? :confused:

I'm pretty sure Himself wasn't on this cruise, and considering what he's retired from, I would be very surprised if he ever was. :p

Time to break out that Irish sense of humor, Father.

You said it better than I did Ruth & I'm hoping Father will not see this post..

But maybe he will laugh about it..