Personal Mini Fans

WayneFougere

I'm looking for a small handheld battery-operated (hopefully pocket-sized) personal fan. I live in Vancouver and thought they'd be easy to find. I've tried several places with no success. Everyone I've asked have suggested a dollar store. I'd like to buy a quality product (that's unlikely to break down) and can't believe a dollar store would have that type of product.

Does anyone else use these types of fans?

Try Amazon. Search on Personal Fan Battery. Then, read the reviews. In my experience, the larger the diameter, the better. Some of the little ones move very little air. It goes without saying that you will need a good supply of batteries, too. They're expensive on the ship or on portside shops.

Magellans.com. $15. Takes four batteries. Three speeds. Has a strap, so you can hang it around your neck. The fan can be set in two positions, so you can hold it straight, or hang it with the fan blowing up.

I have one, love it. I would not leave for a cruise without it. I even use it when I go out at home.

A few people who have purchased a fan at home, personally, have stopped me to ask where I got mine, as it was so much better.

At least check Magellan's, and read the description and comments.

Your decision.

Magellans.com. $15. Takes four batteries. Three speeds. Has a strap, so you can hang it around your neck. The fan can be set in two positions, so you can hold it straight, or hang it with the fan blowing up.

I have one, love it. I would not leave for a cruise without it. I even use it when I go out at home.

I have one of those! I recall getting it in a loonie store (dollar store to our US friends) some years ago. It was not just for travel..... women will understand.:o Suffice to say there are times when you just want to sit inside the fridge.:eek:

I agree that finding them online is super easy. I guess I have enough time to order online; but, I'd prefer to see it and purchase it in a real store. I'm not a huge fan (no pun intended) of online buying.

Try a local luggage or travel store. Ours seems to have everything. Might also check a sporting goods store. Just a thought.

I agree that finding them online is super easy. I guess I have enough time to order online; but, I'd prefer to see it and purchase it in a real store. I'm not a huge fan (no pun intended) of online buying.

Try the Dollarama store on Bridgeport Road in Richmond. They have a lot of good quality stuff. Granted the fan would probably made in China, but what isn't these days. I buy my Whiskas cat food there (it is fresh) and Australian black liquorice. It is $2.00 a 170 gram package and sells out quickly.:)

I have one of those! I recall getting it in a loonie store (dollar store to our US friends) some years ago. It was not just for travel..... women will understand.:o Suffice to say there are times when you just want to sit inside the fridge.:eek:

Welcome to the Hot Club.:):D:)

Did you tell them me? ;) IIRC we got a better price at Magellan's by purchasing more than one fan.

Sometimes! :D

All I know that receiving that fan was a blessing, for which I am thankful every time I use it.

Maybe give Wanderlust in Kits a call - they have all kinds of travel stuff in there. Also there is a second travel store on 4th that sells travel goodies, but for the life of me I can't recall the name of it! It's further out by UBC I beleive.

Edited by Lynda S
spelling - it was goodies, not goddies :-))

Maybe give Wanderlust in Kits a call - they have all kinds of travel stuff in there. Also there is a second travel store on 4th that sells travel goodies, but for the life of me I can't recall the name of it! It's further out by UBC I beleive.

OK, now I am missing Vancouver, all these streets and stores I know. Our daughter lived in Kits for 3 years and we spent 8 weeks with her once. I love Vancouver!!

Sorry for the hijack

I'm looking for a small handheld battery-operated (hopefully pocket-sized) personal fan. I live in Vancouver and thought they'd be easy to find. I've tried several places with no success. Everyone I've asked have suggested a dollar store. I'd like to buy a quality product (that's unlikely to break down) and can't believe a dollar store would have that type of product.

Does anyone else use these types of fans?

CAA in Ontario sells a " The Micro Fan is the world's smallest and lightest travel pocket fan. The fan will deliver a refreshing breeze when you most need it! Retractable blades. Item X8271 ". Perhaps check with CAA in Vancouver or Richmond. The price is $12.69. I think I will pick one up for my husband for our cruise and for myself!

Here is photo (if it works).

260.ashx

I bought 2 in a dollar store in 2009 and they still work. I bought them for a summer trip to Disney World for our DD birthday. I could also prop them on a table while we ate and we had to guard them as everyone wanted them.

I think I have seen them in CAA but that was in the summer so jot sure about this time of year.

Good luck.

I'm always hot.

When I'm out and about with a backpack, I usually carry a flat human-powered fan that I can whip out when I need it. I found a plastic one several years ago and it still works great.

For in the cabin use, I have a small battery/110 volt fan that folds down fairly small and I take it on every cruise. To save weight, I leave the batteries out and just use the 110 volt adapter. It's worth it since the effectiveness of the HVAC on the ships can vary widely and often the thermostat in the room is a placebo that's not connected to anything. I got mine from Campmor.com

Edited by SargassoPirate

I just bought one like RuthC's on Amazon for a little over $9. I have a prime membership, so that included shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DGPWLK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a straw fan in Pago Pago last year that is very effective in hot weather. I'm taking that, too, on our next cruise. But, the little battery operated one will come in very handy, too!