Dressing for Dinner on Alaska Cruise

Jasjas

Hi Jasjas-

We were in Alaska this past Sept. For dinner I wore light sweaters or a top with a cardigan. I guess like fall/spring type wear, but in the darker fall colors.

As for daytime- be sure to take layers. I even threw in a pair of walking shorts, which my husband though was crazy. However, one of the days it was sunny and 45. So shorts with a scarf and sweater were perfect (for me) to walk around town in.

Beware, you will loooove Alaska! We are already planning our return trip.

Edited by VanessaM

You will be entering into the rainy season in Sept, so dress accordingly. As one poster mentioned, dress in layers. Smart casual is standard rule...but be aware that it will be cool, if not cold.

Enjoy your cruise, always be prepared for rain.:o

Oh !!! Thank you all soooo MUCH....

The answers were PERFECT !!

Last year on our Med Cruise the ladies mostly dressed up in evening clothes, but I hoped that on the Alaska cruise it would be a bit more casual and cosy ?!

Thanks again !

Ps. I am completely prepared to fall in love... I seem to do that all over the world...

Ditch any concept of Formal Dress on cruises to/from Alaska unless of course

you want to stand out in the crowd.

You won't be doing much beach activity or swimming so much for that bikini

bathing suit better plan on a wet suit especially if you like to dive in after

the wake of the glaciers (and you won't be doing that either) !

Unlike the Caribbean and the Mediterranean the dress code is as relaxed as

it is going to be on any cruise ship anywhere even the stuffed shirt Princess;

Cunard and Holland America lines.

Dress to stay warm and dry - the cruising season mid summer June; July and

August is all you can expect for fair weather.

Stick around any longer and if the weather is not to your taste then wait 10

minutes more and it will be changed for the worse !

You want something more exciting try a Lindblad cruise to Antartica where

wearing a tuxedo under a parka will make you a celebrity and confused with

the local wild life !

By this time in reading this Post you should have the idea of just be yourself

and forget the details of wearing a rental tux - buy yourself a stiff drink and

certainly blend in with the cruising crowd.

Side note if see the Captain he will most likely be in Khakis instead of dress

whites - it is that type of cruise !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

anything you want...this is Norwegian!!!! As long as its not flip flops and shorts!!!!!

(and I doubt it will be!!!)

Shorts Are Allowed in one mdr and all specialty expect for le bistro

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you sincerely VanessaM...

Leonie -all the way from South Africa.

One other thing--- not related to dress at all.

This is one cruise where getting the spa pass is more than worth it. It was so nice on our sea days to sit in the heated lounges reading and relaxing, while looking out the large glass wall to all the beautiful scenery and wilderness. The heated thermal pool was also a nice benefit too.

• 1 year later...

My husband and I have only been on one cruise to Alaska and we were not at all comfortable with the formal night on our cruise. We just want to dress comfortably and enjoy the views. Does anyone else feel this same way? We are thinking of going back to Alaska in 2017 for our 20th Aniversary.

Edited by craykclan
Miss spelling

My husband and I have only been on one cruise to Alaska and we were not at all comfortable with the formal night on our cruise. We just want to dress comfortably and enjoy the views. Does anyone else feel this same way? We are thinking of going back to Alaska in 2017 for our 20th Aniversary.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.

Were you not comfortable because everyone dressed up and you didn't?

Or because you dressed up and no one else did?

or you and everyone else dressed up and you just weren't comfortable in dressy close?

Also, what cruise line were you on?

Lois

You sound like a good fit for NCL's Freestyle type of cruising. There is no formal night at all, and no real dress code for most of the dining venues. What rules there are about no flip flops or shorts in one of the main dining rooms is not really enforced.

You can dress how you like every night of your cruise. You can go to one of the free dining venues at any time between about 5:30 and 10:00 and get seated to eat, just like going out at home. If you decide to catch a show early and eat later, you can do that. If you decide to eat every night at the same time you can do that. There are two Main Dining Rooms to choose from, as well as the buffet and some other free options like O'Sheehan's (on some ships) that offers a nightly dinner special like Prime Rib. Get back late from an excursion? No problem, just head to the dining room and eat.

The specialty restaurants are extra charge, and in my opinion, not worth the cost. If you want to spend some more money, perhaps from your non-refundable on board credit or something like that, you can spring for Cagney's steakhouse or Le Bistro (French) that have acceptable food (well, I wouldn't pay $35 per person for that quality on land, but you are trapped on a boat). But that's entirely optional. They have a bit stricter dress code, but to be honest, I don't think it is really enforced either.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.

Were you not comfortable because everyone dressed up and you didn't?

Or because you dressed up and no one else did?

or you and everyone else dressed up and you just weren't comfortable in dressy close?

Also, what cruise line were you on?

Lois

We were on RCI and we are just not the type of people that want to dress up. We did as everyone else did but just were not comfortable. We are from Cheyenne WY and even in the most fancy restaurants u wear jeans for both and a nice polo for a man and a nice blouse for a woman...

What do the ladies wear to dinner in MDR on Alaska cruises in mid-September ?

Please help....I do not want to pack too much.

This is just my preference, but for our Alaska cruise on the Pearl a couple of weeks ago, I brought nothing but jeans. A couple dark blue pairs, a black and a gray. I wore the jeans with tunic style tops or sweaters dressed up with scarves or cardigans to dinner in specialty restaurants and MDR. I did not feel underdressed at all. The timing of the ports often has you ashore until dinnertime so there isn't a lot of time to change, and not many did dressy clothes. Some did, but not a majority.

We were on RCI and we are just not the type of people that want to dress up. We did as everyone else did but just were not comfortable. We are from Cheyenne WY and even in the most fancy restaurants u wear jeans for both and a nice polo for a man and a nice blouse for a woman...

It's the same in fancy restaurants in Los Angeles, New York and Chicago. No one "dresses" for dinner any more. You can wear exactly what you wear at home, every night of the cruise, and eat anywhere you like.

Not only that, you don't have to share a table. Some people like to, but my wife and I love getting a little table for two in the dining room and sharing an intimate meal, just like we do at home.

All of the cruise lines are moving this direction as people are less and less enamored of playing Downton Abbey on their vacation. But most still have one or two "formal nights" where you have to dress up to eat in a main dining room. NCL has no formal nights, and you can enjoy your meal any way you like.

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion...

We returned from our Alaska Cruise 2 weeks ago and this was our experience :

My friend and I , 2 ladies in our mid-sixties, were on Norwegian Sun from Seward to Vancouver for 7 nights and both of us took 2 pairs of jeans and a pair of black trousers.

We wore the black trousers to all the evening meals in the MDRs with nice blouses and maybe a scarf and a light jacket.

We found most ladies similarly dressed, maybe alternating with a skirt...

We never saw anyone really formally dressed.

What a wonderfully relaxed time we had !!

Jasjas and Isabella.