Email to A Goldstein RE: 2 guests in triple/quad cabins

Donut23

:confused: I'm confused, I'm pretty sure the policy HAS changed, thus all the threads and angst! :)

There was a thread started in the last week stating that RCI was going to reclassify cabins by occupancy and that couples would no longer be able to book into cabins holding 3/4 people. This policy was to be effective with the new deployments in 2015 that are currently being rolled out. There was another comment in the thread that couple who had booked a 3/4 (on those cruise only, NOT cruises up to early 2015 that have been out for the last year) would likely be bumped out into a double-occupancy cabin. I think that's what kicked up the dust.

I am assured by one of the RCI reps I know that this isn't entirely true - the reclassification is to allow us to know which cabins hold how many (although on Radiance class there are newly-classified D-1s that only hold 2 people, so it's not entirely accurate), and that only "peak season" (kids out of school) sailings will have restrictions. If people were able to book the higher-occupancy cabins, then they aren't restricted for that particular sailing. So it's not that the policy is relaxed in the "off season". It doesn't apply to off peak sailings.

And it's easy for me not to mind too much because we try to avoid sailing during school holidays.:)

He should have taken a lesson from his own staff in Curtomer Service. The telephone call I received hours after the email was sent was 1,000 times more polite. He should have left it to the professionals.

I don't see why. It's good that he pays attention to things. He's not trying for a gold star in customer service, or to be the customer service manager.

I could equally say you should appreciate that you got a personal response from him, instead of it just being handled separately.

Different opinions.

If I want 1688 on the Explorer with that sofa bed (there is only one other cabin like it on the ship) and I'm willing to tie up our deposit for over a year and a half, personally, I have no problem with that.

You want 1688 or 1388, just be the caller ahead of me. Fair is fair.

So I presume you have the same thought about booking disabled cabins too? Everyone just should get in first if they have special needs. All 3/4 people cabins booked out... too bad, so sad eh?

So I presume you have the same thought about booking disabled cabins too? Everyone just should get in first if they have special needs. All 3/4 people cabins booked out... too bad, so sad eh?

I'm of the same opinion that RCI should have the right to place passengers according to the cruise line needs. I think that RCI should book people in the cabin they request while reserving the right to move them if necessary up until they close bookings. How fair would it be for able bodied couple to book an accessible cabin just because it's a bit larger and then deny a booking to someone with a mobility issue that actually needs that room?

I'm sure some people are selfish enough to not care though. I had also thought that the cabins should be priced based on occupancy. If a couple wants a highly desirable room for 4, then pay for 4 people. Don't like it? Then settle for whatever double cabin you're assigned at a two person rate. This is what hotels do all the time.

Is it an ideal solution? No, but the system needs to be fair for everyone, not just a few.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

Technically, my physician would write a letter to qualify for a handicapped room. I have a handicapped card for my car.

I do not, however, consider myself handicapped and we go out of our way to stay in regular balcony cabins in spite of the challenges.

If the day comes when I need the handicapped cabin, I'll book it, thank you.

If you have special needs which require you have a handicapped cabin are you saying you cannot book it because it is setup as a quad? Hummmmm, I think you may have a little trouble with the federal government if you plan to deny access to a handicapped guest.

Edited by Donut23

Provided they book it before someone else who wants it does. Just because they have 4 people shouldn't give them any clout over anybody else.

Neither should a couple have priority on a quad just because they book early. Every cabin on the ship will accommodate 2--only a percentage accommodate 3, and an even smaller percentage accommodate 4 or more. It's the cruise line's ship-they should be able to book and fill it as they see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by A2Mich

I'm of the same opinion that RCI should have the right to place passengers according to the cruise line needs. I think that RCI should book people in the cabin they request while reserving the right to move them if necessary up until they close bookings. How fair would it be for able bodied couple to book an accessible cabin just because it's a bit larger and then deny a booking to someone with a mobility issue that actually needs that room?

I'm sure some people are selfish enough to not care though. I had also thought that the cabins should be priced based on occupancy. If a couple wants a highly desirable room for 4, then pay for 4 people. Don't like it? Then settle for whatever double cabin you're assigned at a two person rate. This is what hotels do all the time.

Is it an ideal solution? No, but the system needs to be fair for everyone, not just a few.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

RCI already reserves the right to change your cabin at any time up until you check in. And they already have been known to move singles or couples out of 3/4 capacity rooms to accomodate a larger party - ckrobyn reported a couple of years ago that she was "upgraded" from her corner aft on Adventure (I think an E1) to a D2 midship for that very reason.

I do wonder what they will do if all of the double occupancy cabins book up and all that are left are 3/4. I suspect that they will be opened up to couples as well - a bird in the hand and all...

RCI already reserves the right to change your cabin at any time up until you check in. And they already have been known to move singles or couples out of 3/4 capacity rooms to accomodate a larger party - ckrobyn reported a couple of years ago that she was "upgraded" from her corner aft on Adventure (I think an E1) to a D2 midship for that very reason.

I do wonder what they will do if all of the double occupancy cabins book up and all that are left are 3/4. I suspect that they will be opened up to couples as well - a bird in the hand and all...

In that case where all of the doubles are booked, then I think it would be perfectly fair to make the triples and quads available to anyone. My thinking is that they need to hold the triple/quad cabins as available at least until a certain point, maybe 90 days out from sail date for example. I don't know-just an idea, but I do feel that parties needing quads shouldn't be turned away just because Mr and Mrs Jones "really like that cabin,". Well if you like it so much, than pay for all 4 people that cabin can hold.

Well if their policy has been that couples can be moved (I would agree with the suite exception) at any time, than none of the multiple discussions on the boards should be an issue whatsoever.

Carnival is known to move people around to meet occupancy needs. That's the way it is, and if the cruise lines DIDN'T do this, they would be foolish.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by A2Mich

Technically, my physician would write a letter to qualify for a handicapped room. I have a handicapped card for my car.

I do not, however, consider myself handicapped and we go out of our way to stay in regular balcony cabins in spite of the challenges.

If the day comes when I need the handicapped cabin, I'll book it, thank you.

If you have special needs which require you have a handicapped cabin are you saying you cannot book it because it is setup as a quad? Hummmmm, I think you may have a little trouble with the federal government if you plan to deny access to a handicapped guest.

It was a comment about the general situation, not your personal situation.

Disabled rooms are reserved for those with a disability, until later. If you do not have 'justification' you cannot book them period. Even if they are in great positions, and even if they are larger than the standard size of the same class.

Your argument is that because they have better positions e.g. middle, near the lifts, and better size, than you should be able to book them as long as you get in first, regardless of need.

3 people cannot book a double only room. Period. They can only book the larger rooms, hence they have a need. You booking such a room first not because of need but because you want (prefer) them is selfishly disregarding others needs, the same as booking a disabled room would be when you don't have a need.

Provided they book it before someone else who wants it does. Just because they have 4 people shouldn't give them any clout over anybody else.

It should - for rooms that are designed specifically for them. Just the same as disabled rooms. Disabled people 'have clout' over anybody else booking those.

Any other allocation is just inefficient and inequitable.

It isn't fair if someone with 3 or 4 people want to cruise and can't find a room because the ones intended for them are filled with couples.

Maybe there should be a way to tentatively book a room with the understanding that you'll be bumped if someone else needs the room. Or, perhaps there should be a way to just pay for the 3rd person even if they are not there like singles do in double occupancy rooms. That would make the room available and still be fair to RCI (of course it doesn't solve the problem for people cruising with parties of 3 or 4).

Tom

My solution? Refurbish the staterooms in future so that they all have the potential to sleep a 3rd (or 4th) person. Then the only limitation is working around the ship's safe limit on max 3rd & 4th berth occupancy. Not instant nor free of costs for existing ships, but at least for newbuilds it is a no brainer. The sofa beds in a folded up state are basically the same footprint as a regular sofa. Retrofitting additional pullman beds I expect wouldn't nearly be as simple, though.

I don't think anyone, certainly not me, is arguing that they shouldn't be able to get the cabin. Just that they should have to pay what the cabin costs. If RCI decides those cabins are more expensive or exclusively for more people then if someone really wants that cabin they should just pay what anyone else would have to pay.

Seems fair.

Tom

100% agree. Price doubles and singles as doubles, trips as trips and quads as quads. then don't care how many actually stay there as long as the appropriate fare is paid.

then 120 days from sailing open all remaining cabins for full sale at the single/double fare.

Edited by cle-guy

Wow!! Sorry-we'll have to agree to disagree.

No way will you get me to agree that just because someone wants a bigger balcony, they only have 2 people sailing, it holds 4- the two sailing book early and get it over someone who needs a room for 4. In reality-they even need the bigger balcony since more are in the room.

But-if you really want it then pay up. Although that is another argument going on right now on another thread that empty rooms generate no money. From a business standpoint-it is in Royals best financial gain to put couples in 2's and fill the triples and quads accordingly.

Personally, I think [which many will argue the point:rolleyes:] find the best cabin that holds two and hope closer to sailing you favorite comes up for grabs. I also think in time-that's what it will all change to and no one will be able to pick year round. not just summer and holiday times.

There must be a real problem over a "policy" that Has a link lost in space:rolleyes:.. A whopping 2 people on cc out of 80,000+ cruisers a week have written to AG:D. About it

None of us really know how many e-mails he really gets on any subject. most probably won't admit it unless they are able to report they changed the system with the swipe of the keys!!;)

Staying on the same note-I love it how everyone even knows the demand for cabins that hold 3 and 4. Some people here saying they all don't fill as they are really not in that much of a demand. Come on..not one of us here really know that answer.

I've read more threads recommending people to get 2 cabins with multiple guests and connecting for families because it's cheaper. welcome to 2014 and maybe the demand has changed.

My solution? Refurbish the staterooms in future so that they all have the potential to sleep a 3rd (or 4th) person. Then the only limitation is working around the ship's safe limit on max 3rd & 4th berth occupancy. Not instant nor free of costs for existing ships, but at least for newbuilds it is a no brainer. The sofa beds in a folded up state are basically the same footprint as a regular sofa. Retrofitting additional pullman beds I expect wouldn't nearly be as simple, though.

Where's that "like" button when you need it?!?

I have no issue with RCI charging more for a premium cabin based on what they know is "premium" from their market research (larger balcony, central location, etc.) Princess took years, but finally figured out that people love the larger balconies on Caribe Deck (Grand class ships) and wake view cabins, so they are in a different category than other decks or locations. HAL even knows which obstructed OV cabins have less obstruction because they are at the "points" of the lifeboats and charges more for them than the other OV.

RCI is trying to simplify their pricing structure at a time when IMO they should be looking closely at every cabin and figuring out if they can charge more. I so read they have chosen what appears on the surface to be any easy way out, which is likely to annoy people more than a price increase would.

I've read more threads recommending people to get 2 cabins with multiple guests and connecting for families because it's cheaper. welcome to 2014 and maybe the demand has changed.

I've also read threads suggesting that booking a cabin which will accommodate 3 or 4 gives you a little better chance of an upgrade, in case they need that cabin.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

It was a comment about the general situation, not your personal situation.

Disabled rooms are reserved for those with a disability, until later. If you do not have 'justification' you cannot book them period. Even if they are in great positions, and even if they are larger than the standard size of the same class.

Your argument is that because they have better positions e.g. middle, near the lifts, and better size, than you should be able to book them as long as you get in first, regardless of need.

3 people cannot book a double only room. Period. They can only book the larger rooms, hence they have a need. You booking such a room first not because of need but because you want (prefer) them is selfishly disregarding others needs, the same as booking a disabled room would be when you don't have a need.

These rooms are a special circumstance and do not apply to this discussion. The cruiseline is required to make accommodation for handicapped. As far as I know the Federal Government has not yet established guidelines on triple and quad cabins.

Group hug!

I stand firm.

Want my cabin? Just be on the phone before me. I should not be penalized because I plan better than you.

I stand firm.

Want my cabin? Just be on the phone before me. I should not be penalized because I plan better than you.

I believe you got a phone call and an e-mail on this from corporate. Refresh my memory-did they agree with you?:confused:

I've been in some cabins for 2 that are standard veranda cabins, but they have a bulge where the sofa bed goes, so the cabins for 2 have a version thats more like a large chair, since a sofa/sofa bed or pullman won't fit. But the floor space is the same so its still the same cabin type.