Email to A Goldstein RE: 2 guests in triple/quad cabins

Donut23

The width is 21.5 inches and will fit thru the standard cabin door. Mine (Golden Companion) also breaks down to fit in trunk, but is 23.5 inches wide.

Parking in the hallway is rude in my opinion; I have seen some parked by the steps and out of the way which is a 'better' option...

As for the letter, I do agree that Mr Goldstein needs to work on his PR skills. I am curious however, as to why people try to email him directly as opposed to "The office of" or customer service, where people are trained to meet your needs?

Have a great day, All!

I was told that your cabin attendant will store/charge your scooter for you to keep it out of the hallway. I agree. No one needs to dodge them in the hall.

I, for one, think that if you only have two people, you should book a two person room. People with three or four people don't have the luxury of choosing a cabin for two.

You know, our Alaska cabin is a double so the point this cruise is moot. However, Jim booked the day reservations opened...as we normally do. I have no trouble taking what's left when we book and I'm sure RCI had fun playing with our deposit for over 450 days total before we cruise.

If I want 1688 on the Explorer with that sofa bed (there is only one other cabin like it on the ship) and I'm willing to tie up our deposit for over a year and a half, personally, I have no problem with that.

You want 1688 or 1388, just be the caller ahead of me. Fair is fair.

It isn't fair if someone with 3 or 4 people want to cruise and can't find a room because the ones intended for them are filled with couples.

Maybe there should be a way to tentatively book a room with the understanding that you'll be bumped if someone else needs the room. Or, perhaps there should be a way to just pay for the 3rd person even if they are not there like singles do in double occupancy rooms. That would make the room available and still be fair to RCI (of course it doesn't solve the problem for people cruising with parties of 3 or 4).

Tom

You know, our Alaska cabin is a double so the point this cruise is moot. However, Jim booked the day reservations opened...as we normally do. I have no trouble taking what's left when we book and I'm sure RCI had fun playing with our deposit for over 450 days total before we cruise.

If I want 1688 on the Explorer with that sofa bed (there is only one other cabin like it on the ship) and I'm willing to tie up our deposit for over a year and a half, personally, I have no problem with that.

I see both sides of this triple/quad cabins. I used to cruise with a young son and always looked for a sofa bed. There were many, many times we had trouble booking because there were not balcony cabins available for the 3 of us. It was very frustrating. I can see Royal wanting them so a family of 3 or 4 will not go to another cruise line. Sometimes families are limited to when they can cruise because of school vacations and parents vacation time from work.

Now it is just my husband and I and I do not have to worry about that but some of the coveted cabins are not going to be available. To me it does not matter. If I can get a room with a balcony I can sit out and relax then I am happy. I considered myself lucky that I can go cruising...

Edited by betmust

I agree completely with you. Those who don't keep trying to argue that that will prevent a group of 3 or 4 from booking a room at all. In reality it will only prevent them from booking THAT PARTICULAR ROOM. I am betting that it's extremely rare to find NO rooms available for 3 or 4, at least not until well inside the 90-120 say window prior to setting sail, where even those folks argue that the holds could/should be removed.

That's the case because I'm betting that RCI is pretty darn good at managing cabin availability. THAT is why the restrictions seem to primarily be in place during peak summer season when school is out.

Heck, that is EXACTLY when I don't want to cruise anyway - because I'd rather not be on a ship with large numbers of 3-somes and 4-somes, because the 3rd & 4th are overwhelmingly kids! Given that, I'm thinking all the hullabaloo about this will turn out to be much ado about nothing in the end.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

There were many, many times we had trouble booking because there were not balcony cabins available for the 3 of us. It was very frustrating.

What's fair is someone that needs a cabin for 4 gets one that holds 4.

Yep, but as indicated by the previous poster it's not that they can't get a cabin - it's that they couldn't get the particular kind they really wanted. Exactly the same argument the couples are making - we can get a cabin, but not the one(s) we really want.

I don't think anyone, certainly not me, is arguing that they shouldn't be able to get the cabin. Just that they should have to pay what the cabin costs. If RCI decides those cabins are more expensive or exclusively for more people then if someone really wants that cabin they should just pay what anyone else would have to pay.

Seems fair.

Tom

Yep, but as indicated by the previous poster it's not that they can't get a cabin - it's that they couldn't get the particular kind they really wanted. Exactly the same argument the couples are making - we can get a cabin, but not the one(s) we really want.

What I said is "trying to find a balcony cabin for 3" - not that I couldn't get

"the one" I really wanted.

I was not looking for one particular cabin which many that are complaining are. I was only looking for " a balcony cabin" for 3 - anywhere on the ship. It is not always that easy to do...

It's kind of moot though since it looks like RCI is saying the policy hasn't changed and the rooms are not exclusive.

Tom

What I said is "trying to find a balcony cabin for 3" - not that I couldn't get

"the one" I really wanted.

I was not looking for one particular cabin which many that are complaining are. I was only looking for " a balcony cabin" for 3 - anywhere on the ship. It is not always that easy to do...

To be sure, I didn't say "the one" either, I said "the kind." Was there an OV available? A JS maybe?

Again, I think the real competition for cabins for 3-4 is when school is out - when you were trying to get them, obviously. That's when RCI seems to be restricting them, but not during other times of the year. I'm thinking that when the initial uproar dies down, that's going to leave the large majority pretty happy.

:confused: I'm confused, I'm pretty sure the policy HAS changed, thus all the threads and angst! :)

In the case of our Alaska cruise, aft facing cabins on Radiance Class Ships are doubles. In this case, it does not affect our reservation. Not all aft facing balcony cabins ARE doubles, however.

Our preferred cabin on Voyager class ships are 1688 or 1388 so we book waaaaaaaay early to catch one of two. We have always had 1688 and it has a sofa bed.

Did I do better this time? :-)

In the case of our Alaska cruise, aft facing cabins on Radiance Class Ships are doubles. In this case, it does not affect our reservation. Not all aft facing balcony cabins ARE doubles, however.

Our preferred cabin on Voyager class ships are 1688 or 1388 so we book waaaaaaaay early to catch one of two. We have always had 1688 and it has a sofa bed.

I don't think you did anything wrong the first time! :) He said the policy hadn't changed, but I think it has definitely changed - which is what this whole thread is about! :)

It would seem we're finding out though, that the policy change will be flexible and apply much more during peak (read: school is out) periods, and be much less rigidly applied during other times.

I don't think you did anything wrong the first time! :) He said the policy hadn't changed, but I think it has definitely changed - which is what this whole thread is about! :)

It would seem we're finding out though, that the policy change will be flexible and apply much more during peak (read: school is out) periods, and be much less rigidly applied during other times.

......and we try not to cruise when school out.

Whew. I would hate to give up little jems like 1688.

Oh - ok "the one(s) we really want. That was not said as the kind we want..

There is a big difference between trying to get a balcony cabin any and trying to get the coveted cabins.

Edited by betmust

Oh - ok "the one(s) we really want. That was not said as the kind we want..

There is a big difference between trying to get a balcony cabin any and trying to get the coveted cabins.

Look about a dozen words before the ones you highlighted - I specifically said "kind" when referring to your post. But not really wanting to argue - again, I think we're going to find that RCI will be intelligent about when and how strictly to apply this policy and make MOST people happy.

What are doubles? I do not think I have heard that before.

Edited by betmust