Email to A Goldstein RE: 2 guests in triple/quad cabins

Donut23

Radiance-class are our favorite, too. However, we "cheated" last year on Adventure. Have you checked the aft corner suites on the Voyager class? We had 1388, which was a d1, I believe, and HUGE. There is a pole in the room, but is much larger than any other d we've been in.

Sweet! I have 1388 for my August cruise on the Navigator. I'm even more excited now!

I'm not sure they should allow Adam Goldstein to email customers. The phone call from staff was charming. Is it me? Doesn't this sound a little.........snarky? I tried to be nice in my note.

Cathy,

It would be helpful to us if you could let us know how you came to possess

this information that is completely wrong. Thank you.

Adam

And my answer sent 30 minutes later around 8 am today:

Good Morning!

Thank you so much for your attention to my worries.

The Cruise Critic boards have had various discussions regarding a new policy.

Specifically, 2 guests will no longer be allowed to reserve cabins which will accommodate triples or quads.

We have become spoiled in your aft facing balcony cabins but this may be a problem if we move above the Radiance Class. If true, we feel we are being penalized simply because we are a couple. It also penalizes my......scooter which does not fit in the smaller cabin.

Anyway, if this is wrong, I'll be the short blond with the big smile!

Cathy

And I have heard nothing since sending this. What do you think?

Edited by Donut23

Email sent around noon. Just off the phone with Royal Caribbean-----nicest lady.

First, she wanted to assure me we were fine for our cruise on the Radiance this summer.

We discussed using my scooter. We tried in the smaller cabin-doesn't fit the same. She said the crew would store it but that certainly removes any spontaneity, doesn't it----that was a little whine.

Basically I told her Radiance Class ships are our favorites but we felt penalized by being restricted to only 4 ships in the fleet.

She said they are actually listening to everyone. Learning about problems they had not considered, like ours. Our next cruise on the wish list is b2b on the Jewell in the S Caribbean January 2016 - no worries. She told me we had a special circumstance which they should be able to accommodate. For example, the Quantum will be our hometown ship. For us, they probably don't have to worry about accommodating us too much until 2017 or so unless we win the lottery! The Jewell is getting most of our pocket's attention after a big Alaska trip.

Anyway, she was just lovely on the phone. I was not surprised by the call. Just by how quickly they called.

We had an issue at the end of our Majesty cruise that prompted me to send an email to Mr. Goldstein. One of his executive assistants was on the phone to me the very next day. She was nice as pie, and extremely helpful. I don't recall he name, but wouldn't be at all surprised if it was the same person you talked to.

I'm not sure they should allow Adam Goldstein to email customers. The phone call from staff was charming. Is it me? Doesn't this sound a little.........snarky? I tried to be nice in my note.

Cathy,

Adam

Good Morning!

Specifically, 2 guests will no longer be allowed to reserve cabins which will accommodate triples or quads.

We have become spoiled in your aft facing balcony cabins but this may be a problem if we move above the Radiance Class. If true, we feel we are being penalized simply because we are a couple. It also penalizes my......scooter which does not fit in the smaller cabin.

Cathy

Wow... :eek:

Cathy,

Adam

Good Morning!

Cathy

Wow! Not just you. Good thing you got the phone call first. Way to reassure a guest, Mr Goldstein.:rolleyes:

Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, you know, busy CEO. Should take the time to read before he pushes 'SEND'.

All I could think of was how happy I am he has a big Customer Service Department so he doesn't deal with guests often.

Sigh. I don't think I'll bother emailing him again.

Edited by Donut23

Is this where everybody beats me up? Of course I guess I'm asking for it by posting my email.

How did I do?

Good Morning Mr. Goldstein-

I have been a rabid Royal Caribbean cheerleader for many decades. Years ago, as a RCI top accounts travel agent, I turned to Royal or Celebrity first. I knew my guests would return happy.

Fast forward to 2006 when I convinced my fiancé to visit Alaska. I wanted the Radiance. Your ship and crew did not disappoint. In fact it was so magical that halfway through Jim scrapped our honeymoon plans to Italy to return to Alaska and the Radiance. We came back in 2007 and were married in Juneau.

On that first trip I introduced Jim to aft-facing balcony cabins. He is totally hooked.

Sadly, I travel now with an EVC/scooter and have a fraction of the energy I once had. Your regular aft facing balcony cabins are perfect. The scooter fits alongside the larger sofa easily. On days I am too tired to leave the cabin I can spend the day on the lounge chair on that beautiful big balcony well protected from bad weather. The big lounge chair is a blessing to me.

Your new policy of not allowing 2 guests in a triple or quad has taken our aft facing balcony cabins away from us. I am completely crestfallen.

We have finally found a way for me to travel again. I can physically pace myself to enjoy everything I want and Jim can still explore and tour and not worry about my comfort.

We are returning to Alaska with our Best Man to celebrate our Anniversary. Jim made the reservation the night before my heart surgery to cheer me up.

Is Royal Caribbean going to break my heart and not allow us to stay in our favorite cabins?

Nicely done :)

You wrote a very good letter. I have written to Mr.Goldstein about some ideas. Last year I got this call from the Executive Office from a nice woman who spoke with me at length about my ideas and she was going to pass this along to Mr. Goldstein and the team at their next monthly meeting.

I have been emailing Mr. Goldstein and his department about ways to improve Royal Caribbean and it has really worked out. For instance I suggested that they have a Towel Exchange bin when you come off and on from shore excursions. It really works for beach excursions etc.

Please let us know if you get a response.

You wrote a very good letter. I have written to Mr.Goldstein about some ideas. Last year I got this call from the Executive Office from a nice woman who spoke with me at length about my ideas and she was going to pass this along to Mr. Goldstein and the team at their next monthly meeting.

I have been emailing Mr. Goldstein and his department about ways to improve Royal Caribbean and it has really worked out. For instance I suggested that they have a Towel Exchange bin when you come off and on from shore excursions. It really works for beach excursions etc.

Please let us know if you get a response.

I got a lovely call and the short email is above.

Sounds like you have had far more success.

You would expect him to be very busy, so I would appreciate the attention and not expect it to be long-winded or flowery. I think the above response is reasonable.

It is accurate as others have pointed out as well, so is reasonable on both counts.

Hey Tom-

Thanks for the ideas.

I want to address the handicapped cabin idea...as I did with Royal yesterday. I have a heart issue which makes longish walks difficult but I'm not handicapped. I can mosey around the room well. Now that we know the scooter fits alongside the larger sofa I would hate to take an accessible stateroom.

Hey, I'm going to be 60 next year (gasp). We found something which we love and we are kicking and pouting if it keeps us from the occasional bigger ship.

What kind of a scooter are you using? I don't think that mine will fit through a door that is not a handicapped cabin. Do the Aft balcony cabins have wider doors?

I notice that Adam Goldstein said your information was wrong. I also noticed that post #15 said your information was wrong. I wonder what is wrong about what you said and what the actual information is.

I have read on here many, many posts about how much Adam has helped to resolve problems for them and how nice he was. I do think his letter was very short and to the point, I didn't think it too bad. I am sure he is being bombarded with letters from people about the changes.

Cathy,

Adam

Good Morning!

Cathy

Adam was correct in his response. The way you have worded your letter you made it seem like all triple and quad occupancy cabins for all ships are now unable to be booked by 2 people.

That is incorrect.

I have done many mock bookings on various ships over the past couple days and was able to book 2 people into many cabins that had higher occupancy levels.

It depends on the ship and sailing date and how popular that sailing is perceived to be for families as to whether they are restricting occupancy levels.

While they may have increased this it is certainly not new. RCI has done this for the past couple years at least on Holiday, summer and March break cruises.

Perhaps if you had given an exact example instead of just a generic statement you would have received a different response.

What kind of a scooter are you using? I don't think that mine will fit through a door that is not a handicapped cabin. Do the Aft balcony cabins have wider doors?

Pride Revo-3 wheel

It's the one which can breakdown into 5 pieces to stuff in your car. It DOES seem a bit more narrow than some and the 3 wheel version corners like a sportscar.

I'm pretty sure the doorways are the same size.

I wondered about that also, on allure there were a bunch always parked in the hall, these people did not book hc. Cabins.

Also, does anyone have a link to this "policy".

You would expect him to be very busy, so I would appreciate the attention and not expect it to be long-winded or flowery. I think the above response is reasonable.

It is accurate as others have pointed out as well, so is reasonable on both counts.

He should have taken a lesson from his own staff in Curtomer Service. The telephone call I received hours after the email was sent was 1,000 times more polite. He should have left it to the professionals.

In this instance, I don't see anything wrong with Mr. Goldstein's reply. Yes, it was short, but it seems to me that he was just trying to gather a bit more information before responding.

I agree, short and too the point. I see nothing wrong with his answer. Seems like he wanted more information and maybe take it from there.

His answer also was not as bad as the one sent to the other person. Then again, Donut's email to him was much better.

I agree, short and too the point. I see nothing wrong with his answer. Seems like he wanted more information and maybe take it from there.

His answer also was not as bad as the one sent to the other person. Then again, Donut's email to him was much better.

Sorry, I'm going to disagree.....and let me tell you why. (DH always settles back in his chair when I say....and let me tell you why.). My comments come from a lifetime in Sales.

Every person a RCI headquarters who communicates with a guest is immediately in sales at some level. Their communication can impact a guests choice to continue a relationship with the cruiseline. This corporate philosophy should have no greater cheerleader than it's corporate leader.

I am sorry. I don't buy the line ...... I am too busy to take an extra moment to be as polite as possible, even when the email is rude. If this isn't your strong suit, assign this responsibility to someone else. I found his note rude when I made a special effort to be lighthearted.

It takes a moment to review an email, especially one as short and curt as Mr. Goldstein's.

Just my opinion......worth a grain of sand a low tide I guess.

By the way, don't you find it odd that he would tell me I was wrong and not take the effort to clarify why so I would not be confused.

Edited by Donut23

By the way, don't you find it odd that he would tell me I was wrong and not take the effort to clarify why so I would not be confused.

That was honestly my first thought too - you had an idea due to this thread, but otherwise the reaction would be "Wrong? How?" Makes it tough to answer the question he asked of where you got wrong information without telling you what that wrong information was...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

That was honestly my first thought too - you had an idea due to this thread, but otherwise the reaction would be "Wrong? How?" Makes it tough to answer the question he asked of where you got wrong information without telling you what that wrong information was...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

My reaction to his email was I had upset him, he typed an email and pushed 'send' before he should have. Very unprofessional compared to the thoughtful phone call I had received earlier.

Edited by Donut23

Cathy,

Adam

Good Morning!

Cathy

Wow, I would categorize his response as 100%, as us youngins say, #FAIL.

Unneccessarily curt to the point that it comes off rude... and, just to be clear, I had no issue whatsoever with the e-mail response he sent to the other CC member in the other active thread about correspondence with Mr. Goldstein.

Someone needs to lock up his keyboard. He clearly seems frustrated, by what I do not know, but as others have said he needs to leave this type of communication to the professionals who have nothing else to focus on beyond communicating with guests.

Edited by Dave85

Pride Revo-3 wheel

It's the one which can breakdown into 5 pieces to stuff in your car. It DOES seem a bit more narrow than some and the 3 wheel version corners like a sportscar.

I'm pretty sure the doorways are the same size.

The width is 21.5 inches and will fit thru the standard cabin door. Mine (Golden Companion) also breaks down to fit in trunk, but is 23.5 inches wide.

Parking in the hallway is rude in my opinion; I have seen some parked by the steps and out of the way which is a 'better' option...

As for the letter, I do agree that Mr Goldstein needs to work on his PR skills. I am curious however, as to why people try to email him directly as opposed to "The office of" or customer service, where people are trained to meet your needs?

Have a great day, All!