Electronic coupon books

slyster

Hi...so I know the coupon books are now linked to your sea pass card. On my recent Grandeur cruise, we had our first experience with it. Just wondering what everyone thinks about this new process. I think I like the old coupon books better because I carried the coupon and used it when I wanted to.

Maybe it was because it was our first time, but as the week went on, I wasn't sure what I had a coupon for and when I was told crew members would know and tell me, I noticed that didn't always happen. I know our spa coupon was automatically applied. That was nice. But we had to specifically ask on the last day of the cruise if we wanted to apply our photo discount coupon, otherwise, we would have been charged full price. Our cabin steward told us that the crew members know what coupons we have and will ask if we want to use it or apply it.

Just curious what everyone else thinks. Maybe it is up to me to carry around the letter with all the discounts listed? So I know when I can apply one to something?

Haven't sailed since Nov 2013, which was before the electronic "coupons" were introduced. But I would certainly in my pocket have a copy of the paper that details the various offers. Not that the staff in any way would try to cheat me, but there are several different levels of coupons, and with a new system like this they might inadvertently miss a benefit to which I'm entitled.

Just my opinion, but to be sure they are being used as you want them to be, I would just treat them in the same manner as before with the coupons and tell the crew member at each venue where you wish to use them that you would like them to apply - or not apply - the coupon to that purchase.

The list of available coupons should provide a good key as to what is available and loaded on your card.

But rather than wait to be asked - or to prevent one being used inadvertently by a crew member - I would just tell them at the time of purchase what you want them to do with an available coupon in the same manner as before when you had the coupon in hand.

Used it on Allure and I quite like the electronic version as I don't have to carry a coupon book around anymore. With the electronic version you just have to keep track of what coupons you have/still have left. I miss the $5 matchplay coupon though :(

How do you keep track? I guess just cross it off your list?

I don't like it!

On our most recent cruise, just after boarding I stopped at Starbuck's and bought a can of diet coke. Later that day, went to do the 2 for 1 beer coupon and was told I'd already used it. Guess it automatically was applied when I bought the coke and I wasn't informed, nor given my 2nd 'free' coke.

Also, I do the shopping, not my husband. So to apply his coupons, he had to be there. Didn't bother getting my 2nd free photo because of this. Dragging him along to do the internet wasn't his idea of fun either.

Wish they could just put them all on one card if requested.

Not a bad idea, but as they are name specific based on C & A tier level that may be difficult - even if you are both the same tier. (Keep in mind that not all passengers in a given stateroom share the same level).

The concerns you pointed out with the rest of your post are valid and is why I suggested "managing" their use at the time of purchase by telling the crew member how you want them used before the transaction is processed - in the same manner as if you had a coupon in hand.

Never loaded onto the Seapass 11/13 on Vision as stated on the letter in the stateroom

Nothing but trouble on Allure 12/13.

Going on Legend in March; willing to give it one last try to see if it works before I am totally against it because it simply doesn't work as designed.

I'd rather have paper coupons. Do they give you a list so you know what coupons you have?

Yes, you get a list in your stateroom at the start of your cruise.

You can ask for a print out of your remaining coupons from any cashier on board at any time. I only found that out on the last day though!

I haven't tried them yet, cruise is coming up, but I would imagine the amount of paper they save is pretty significant. Now, if they'd just load adds for sales talks, watches, diamond give away raffles, art auction invitations, etc. we'd save a ton of paper.

I'd love to be able to opt out of the dailies and port information and load them on my iPhone instead. That would also save a bunch of $$$.

Tom

Hi...so I know the coupon books are now linked to your sea pass card. On my recent Grandeur cruise, we had our first experience with it. Just wondering what everyone thinks about this new process. I think I like the old coupon books better because I carried the coupon and used it when I wanted to.

Maybe it was because it was our first time, but as the week went on, I wasn't sure what I had a coupon for and when I was told crew members would know and tell me, I noticed that didn't always happen. I know our spa coupon was automatically applied. That was nice. But we had to specifically ask on the last day of the cruise if we wanted to apply our photo discount coupon, otherwise, we would have been charged full price. Our cabin steward told us that the crew members know what coupons we have and will ask if we want to use it or apply it.

Just curious what everyone else thinks. Maybe it is up to me to carry around the letter with all the discounts listed? So I know when I can apply one to something?

I don't cruise again until March 2015 so I hope it is running smoothly by then. My problem with the coupon books is that I never remember to grab my drink coupons and don't want to get up from my chair on the sundeck and go down to my room for a coupon. This way, it is always with me.

I think it says on the sheet in the cabin that coupons will be automatically applied. I don't like that at all. I want to use the "buy 1 get 1 free beer, wine, or soda" coupon when I want to use it. For example, we like to get a nice glass of wine at Vintages. In the past we would use the 2 for 1 coupon and get a $30 dollar glass each. I don't want a $4.95 Bud Lite on my "2 for 1." I much prefer the paper coupons. But RCI could solve this by making the policy that a coupon isn't applied unless the person requests it. I will say on my recent Freedom cruise I don't think any coupons were applied unless I specifically stated it, but I don't remember buying any beer, wine, or sodas, so I'm not sure.

In my opinion, its all computerized. The coupons should automatically come off your tab when you make a purchase. You shouldn't have to ask for it. Ever!

The only challenge would be to know which coupons you have and which ones you have used. Perhaps display it on the room television?

In my opinion, its all computerized. The coupons should automatically come off your tab when you make a purchase. You shouldn't have to ask for it. Ever!

That works for something like the $5 off dry cleaning coupon (since it is a flat discount no matter how many dry cleaning bags of $25 or more you send out), but as others pointed out, you should have discretion on when to apply the BOGO drink coupon. There is a huge difference in getting a free can of coke and a free glass of reserve wine. The only way an automatic discount for a coupon like that would work is if it wasn't applied until the end of the cruise and was applied to the second most expensive beer/wine/soda ordered throughout the cruise.

We love the electronic coupons. No need to carry paper ones around. There is a list of our coupons in our cabin if we want to carry it. However, the staff in the venues we frequent have always told us we have a particular coupon to use there. Ask us if we want to use it. And suggest ways to get more out of our coupon. For example if we order a less expensive drink in either the Champagne Bar or Vintages, the server suggests that we use it when ordering a more expensive one. Or when I buy something I ask do we have a coupon for that. We have found that we use our electronic coupons by the end of the cruise, but always had paper ones we had thought we wanted to use left over by the end of the cruise. But that is just us I guess.

The only challenge would be to know which coupons you have and which ones you have used. Perhaps display it on the room television?

The problem with automatically using a coupon is that it might not be advantageous to you. For example, you buy 2 cans of soda for $2.88 each, and the system automatically uses your 2 for 1 drink coupon. Later you want to buy 2 glasses of wine for $20 each, and you don't have that coupon anymore.

I don't like it!

On our most recent cruise, just after boarding I stopped at Starbuck's and bought a can of diet coke. Later that day, went to do the 2 for 1 beer coupon and was told I'd already used it. Guess it automatically was applied when I bought the coke and I wasn't informed, nor given my 2nd 'free' coke.

Also, I do the shopping, not my husband. So to apply his coupons, he had to be there. Didn't bother getting my 2nd free photo because of this. Dragging him along to do the internet wasn't his idea of fun either.

Then you really would have a problem if they put them all on your husbands card! :eek:

We just got off the Serenade, and they did not apply coupons unless you specifically asked them to.

I think that is the way all the ship should do it. I should be the one who picks when to use them.

If you want to apply hubby's coupons, take his SeaPass card with you. We also did that on the Serenade.

Also, if you don't have the list and want to see what's still left, you can ask anyone at any bar/shop. They run your card and it shows on their screens.

I think it says on the sheet in the cabin that coupons will be automatically applied. I don't like that at all. .............

But RCI could solve this by making the policy that a coupon isn't applied unless the person requests it. I will say on my recent Freedom cruise I don't think any coupons were applied unless I specifically stated it, but I don't remember buying any beer, wine, or sodas, so I'm not sure.

They were NOT automatically applied on the Serenade.

This (underlined) was the policy on Serenade. Maybe RCI is listening. ;)

Used it on Allure and I quite like the electronic version as I don't have to carry a coupon book around anymore. With the electronic version you just have to keep track of what coupons you have/still have left. I miss the $5 matchplay coupon though :(

No more match play? I know I don't like that. Do they still have those 'valuable' free spin coupons?

I don't like it!

SO can you tell them you don't want to use a 2/1? I know hubby has on occassion got a drink without me. Need to warn him if so.

Please share more suggestions you have as we have our sailing coming up in a month.

Thanx,

Erika