Cab Horror Stories

aeegee

We would like to take a cab from the FLL airport to our hotel, then from the hotel to the port and from port back to the airport. I've been reading some real horror stories about cabbies turning off their meters or not turning them on and charging more than what they are suppose to charge. Is this really a common thing in FLL? I know that it's not too far from some hotels to port and from the airport to some hotels so the fares are not real high. Is this why there seems to be issues? I heard that there is a minimum fare of $10.

Thank you.

Edited by aeegee

Fare rules should be posted inside and on the outside of each cab. Do not fall for the "$25 minimum fare" trick from PE to FLL.

I make it a point to always take a photo of both the cab # and the driver's ID (hanging inside the cab); when thedriver asks why I tell them it is in case I forget something.

If there is a fare dispute at the port, FLL or hotel feel free to get the attention of a police officer or dial 911 -- if the cab driver is trying to cheat you he will quickly bakc down.

My experieince with cab drivers in the FLL and Miami area has generally been positive (unlike Philadelphia :mad:); but a few bad apples tend to get lots of attention.

Fare rules should be posted inside and on the outside of each cab. Do not fall for the "$25 minimum fare" trick from PE to FLL.

I make it a point to always take a photo of both the cab # and the driver's ID (hanging inside the cab); when thedriver asks why I tell them it is in case I forget something.

If there is a fare dispute at the port, FLL or hotel feel free to get the attention of a police officer or dial 911 -- if the cab driver is trying to cheat you he will quickly bakc down.

My experieince with cab drivers in the FLL and Miami area has generally been positive (unlike Philadelphia :mad:); but a few bad apples tend to get lots of attention.

Thank you. Can I ask what PE is? If it's not a long wait we'll probably take the free shuttle to the hotel, but we didn't want to be herded to port from the hotel on a shuttle, especially when it's cheaper to take a cab. Hopefully we'll have a good ride.

Thank you. Can I ask what PE is? If it's not a long wait we'll probably take the free shuttle to the hotel, but we didn't want to be herded to port from the hotel on a shuttle, especially when it's cheaper to take a cab. Hopefully we'll have a good ride.

PE = Port Everglades

I've also not encountered any issues with cabs in either FLL or MIA. Like John said, the bad apples are going to get far more attention than the thousands of perfectly fine trips that occur.

Excellent advice!

I posted one of those stories based on our cab ride from the pier to the airport last Jan. The meter was on but he tried to ask for more $$.

He left quickly when he saw he was not getting any more money and I think other people were starting to notice him argue.

I wish I could have taken back the nice tip we gave him before he asked for more money.

From now on I'm going to use JohninDC's advice and take a picture because I would have reported him to the cab company.

Great advice JohninDC - thank you.

Hope this isn't a double post because I lost the first one.

If there is a universal truth about travel its that there are far more bad taxi drivers than good ones.

In any city, ask for the fare before entering the taxi. Estimates are fine. Repeat the amount to the cabbie, then enter. I have yet have a taxi disagree with the amount we negotiated before starting. At that point I dont care if the meter is on or off, we already agreed to the price.

You can also pull up http://www.taxifarefinder.com on your phone before you get in the cab and ask him if the amount displayed seems right to him.

I have taken 500 or more taxi rides in the past 8 years, mostly in Miami (often to or from the airport). I have found driver misconduct to be rare, perhaps 2 in 100. The exception is strongly urging cash payment even though credit card payment is available.

Miami drivers typically work long daily hours, often six or seven days a week. If fortunate, they earn in the $30 thousands with few benefits. A large majority rent their cabs and on a bad day will lose money. It is not a job I would want. The drivers working weekends as second jobs have it just as tough.

Edited by FLAHAM

We have had many cab rides in FLL and in MIA.

Never once had a problem. But, I always check to ensure that the meter is turned on.

We usually pay about $15-$20 max for a cab ride from FLL to our hotel-depends on the hotel. Usually $15 or less to Port Everglades...which is why we never, ever bother with the hotel transfers to Port Everglades.

Edited by iancal

I have taken 500 or more taxi rides in the past 8 years, mostly in Miami (often to or from the airport). I have found driver misconduct to be rare, perhaps 2 in 100. The exception is strongly urging cash payment even though credit card payment is available.

Miami drivers typically work long daily hours, often six or seven days a week. If fortunate, they earn in the $30 thousands with few benefits. A large majority rent their cabs and on a bad day will lose money. It is not a job I would want. The drivers working weekends as second jobs have it just as tough.

They prefer cash, CCs are expensive. 60c-75c per swipe + 3%. A $10fare has a CC cost of about $1.

We've taken taxis all over the country--Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas, Chicago, and many other places--with no problems.

The problem with this topic on this board, and on any other travel board, is that all you hear are the negative stories--which based upon the thousands, or perhaps even millions of trips is relatively small.

Would be pretty boring to hear about all those positive trips wouldn't it---alot less drama when things are positive.;)

To be fair, there apparently have been a lot of problems with Ft. Lauderdale cabbies in the past -- I actually once encountered one who told me that there was a $15 minimum from Port Everglades to FLL. I also had one who I think deliberately "got lost" in order to jack up the fare.

Within the past year there have been signs posted at Port Everglades specifying that fares are strictly "meter only" -- No additional "special fees", flat rates, etc.

To be fair, there apparently have been a lot of problems with Ft. Lauderdale cabbies in the past -- I actually once encountered one who told me that there was a $15 minimum from Port Everglades to FLL. I also had one who I think deliberately "got lost" in order to jack up the fare.

Within the past year there have been signs posted at Port Everglades specifying that fares are strictly "meter only" -- No additional "special fees", flat rates, etc.

The info about the "meter only" fees is very valuable---thanks for posting that info.

The problem with this topic on this board, and on any other travel board, is that all you hear are the negative stories--which based upon the thousands, or perhaps even millions of trips is relatively small.

BIG THUMBS UP. Spot on.

for most airports, if you go to their web page you'll find a ground transportation page which contains prices from the airport to popular end points . . . .

here's the one for Ft Lauderdale International

http://www.broward.org/Airport/About/Documents/Transpchoiceposter.pdf

You'll notice that it says a taxi to Port Everglades should be ABOUT $12 per taxi (on the meter) {and a shared ride AKA shuttle is $11 per person but that's a different topic}

CHECKING for this information B4 you travel, helps avoid getting ripped off . . .

Just for discussion here's the one for MIA

http://www.miami-airport.com/hotel_shuttles.asp

NOTE how many destinations are FLAT RATE . . . . not just the port ...

Edited by Capt_BJ

The info about taxi fares being meter only and not a flat rate is good info for anyone travelling between FLL and PE. On our first cruise we didn't know this and we fell victim to the "flat rate". He charged us $25 from port to FLL. We now know better thanks to people on CC. We have never had an issue again- we've always make sure the meter is on and that is what we pay.