New Document Package

duct tape

We got ours about three weeks before the departure date. Although we have plenty of SS luggage tags it would be nice if they were to differentiate between new guests (at least for a couple of voyages) and send them luggage tags. Us old hands can do without.

We like the new journal format, but it does mean that you have to travel with more weight than just a ticket.

What I did not like was the loose contents insert, this was tacky. There are now no temperatures for ports included. The leave behind sheets with contact details and an itinerary with real dates has now gone, this means generating one instead of photocopying and finally the Useful & Emergency contact deatils at the back of the journal assume you live in the US for contacting the ship. So more attention to detail required.

Silver Spectre, We just received the new format documents for our Shadow April19-May 15 cruise. We also really miss the "leave behind" pages, which were very useful for leaving with house sitters and family. Generating all of this information from scratch is annoying. The new contact information is limited and port agents are no longer listed. Hope SS restores these omissions.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but pluses (Crew, ambiance, dining) outweigh this minus (also do not like the connoisseur corner adjacent PL), but wish the cloud (in next refurb)would soon resemble the Wind in physical layout (e.g., make the Fitness center into Obsvn Lounge). Will be interesting if I feel the same about the Cloud after this crossing..but any Silversea cruise is better than no cruise.

Wes, my best to all the crew. If mSangiacomo and Gianni are aboard, you are obligated to give them a hug from me but they probably won't let you! If Luigi Rutigliano is aboard, he is a hugger. My other half will be solo on the Cloud for the WWII charter in May. Enjoy!

Just received our owner's manual, er, travel journal today along with the budget luggage tags For 19 Apr - 15 May out of Hong Kong.

I like the travel journal very much and will use previous labels with new details. Agree about the itinerary and contact details - no reason, surely, for these not to be included now.

Anyway, 27 days of nothing to do except what we want to do coming up. Luvvly jubbly.

What happens when there are two in a cabin, not spouses. Do each have documents arrive? Would we have to request this? I really don't care about the silver box, having gotten one- fun once but really it is a box with silver paper- but what is in it would be nice for both of us to get.

Guest superradiationboy
What happens when there are two in a cabin, not spouses. Do each have documents arrive? Would we have to request this? I really don't care about the silver box, having gotten one- fun once but really it is a box with silver paper- but what is in it would be nice for both of us to get.

Our friends, who shared one room, got only one copy. You likely might need to request for two. :)

I'm trying to remember....do the documents come via regular post or does Silversea use one of the delivery services like FedEx or UPS? We're just a day or two short of one month out from our flight to Athens so I expect we'll see our documents in a week or so.

Guest superradiationboy
I'm trying to remember....do the documents come via regular post or does Silversea use one of the delivery services like FedEx or UPS? We're just a day or two short of one month out from our flight to Athens so I expect we'll see our documents in a week or so.

In the past, I have always been receiving documents through my online travel agents via USPS, FedEx and DHL, whichever one they chose. One time, the agent left the letter in the box, of which Silversea addressed to and reminded him to check all the documents for errors before forwarding to us.

The only time, so far, that the document was sent directly to us was from Seabourn. Interestingly, though my name appeared on the address, it was followed by the name of the online agency.

Edited by superradiationboy

Just got our Silver Box via UPS, nice surprise this morning. :) Makes our upcoming cruise even more real. Even though a picture of the new "box" was posted earlier on this thread I'll have to say it was a bit of a surprise to actually have it in hand and see how stripped down it was from our last Silversea cruise. In the scheme of things probably not that big of a deal but the old box was pretty cool to a then Silversea newbie. Guess the next step is e-docs only. :eek::)

Edited by Randyk47

Have just put the budget luggage tags on, they are definitely inferior and feel like they will fall apart at the first sign of pressure. They are not helped by the sticky area only being 25% to 30% of the ones they replaced. Also had to call the London office to obtain the correct ship contact code from the UK. The one in the journal was incorrect. Learnt that the journal is printed in Milan, why?

The London office gave profuse apologies for the 'work in progress' journal, have these people never thought of road testing their changes.

I was looking more closely at our Silver Box contents and I guess it'll all work....it'll gets us on the ship. Interestingly I had to talk to my Silversea PCC about a change in our flights and mentioned we'd gotten our documents and certainly noticed it was not the Silver Box of cruises past. She allowed that "we're trying something new". My response was a joking "a very British understatement" and she said "thanks for understanding". I kind of write it off to not necessarily better but certainly cheaper though amazingly it appears the box was expressed shipped via UPS from Italy. Hmmm.....for US passengers it seems it would make more "money" sense to prepare on this side of the pond and use a less expensive mailing option. Of course I guess with the international makeup of the typical passenger mix probably makes a single point make more sense instead of numerous smaller sites.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new packaging for the Silver Box. There is still a silver box but it is condensed. The personalized Travel Journal is exceptional and will be worthy of keeping as a reference for the journey, what excursions were taken, ports of call, etc. The only thing we would like added would be blank pages to document who was on board with us (fellow guests & Staff). We never utilized the faux leather luggage tags so they were worthless to us and glad they are no longer sent. The adhesive luggage tags for boarding are adequate and actually a much nicer presentation then the previous pressure sensitive label tag. As long as they are pre-printed, they are appreciated.

I have a "Cruise Journal" where I document what ship I am cruising, and all the details for each voyage. This new concept that SS has decided to try will eliminate my need for any other documentation. I wish OTHER lines would follow suit. Oceania does something similar but, it is not the quality and an 8x10 format. It is better than other lines.

So excited. 3 weeks and counting :)