"Come Back New"…Ummmm…No...

WillyBear

Or "Where I Belong," which seems to fit what I feel like on Princess.

I used to work at an ad agency that, at the time, had Princess as a client, but I can't think of what the commercial was like (maybe it was with Gavin Macleod). The only part of that account I worked on was on the print side.

Here's an interesting article about some past cruise line campaigns:

http://www.latecruisenews.com/2011/12/19/cruise-line-tag-lines-over-the-years-other-cruise-news-princess-to-operate-three-world-cruises-from-australia-in-2013-harmony-princess-to-cruise-from-south-korea/

It didn't mention the Royal Caribbean one about country (will have to search for that one -- I didn't like that slogan at all). The NCL freestyle commercials I didn't care for as I just don't get this harping on having freedom -- most cruiselines aren't holding a gun to your head and telling you to get out of bed at 8am or play trivia at 3pm. (plus I actually like traditional dining)

Okay found it: Nation of Why Not? I just don't get that one. Are they saying their ships are as big as some countries?

While the 2 they show on TV are rather sedate, and the one with the couple ordering wine resembles an add for another product altogether :D, this is the one that I like the most, and it's not seen on TV. It really does pretty much sum up my love affair with Princess.

That video seems to be the mission statement of the "come back new" campaign. I was really impressed by that one too...it does sum up why I cruise, but it's obviously too long to be a commercial. :)

I get the idea behind the "Come back new" slogan. On my last cruise I felt "renewed" spiritually and physically. So I get it and got it.

As far as aiming to the older over 40 crowd, yes I agree. From what I experience of the Golden Princess it seemed more for the older adults. Calmer and more sedate with attentive service, shows and entertainment. I'm good with that. Like Arnold says, "I'll be back". :D

I don't have any little kids around, and I've never sailed Carnival. But I have to admitt that current Carnival commercial with the kids ("who just met yesterday") walking with attitude and queuing up to go down the water slide makes me smile every time :)

While the 2 they show on TV are rather sedate, and the one with the couple ordering wine resembles an add for another product altogether :D, this is the one that I like the most, and it's not seen on TV. It really does pretty much sum up my love affair with Princess.

This is the best by far! Why is it not on TV?

When you watch a Carnival ad or a RCCL ad, you klnow immediately who the advertiser is. The new Princess ads do not mention the word "Princess" until near the end of the ad.

Carnival is advertising "Fun Happens!" no matter how you define fun.

RCCL advertises a "WOW" cruise.

I think both are more effective than "Come back new" in attracting new people to cruise and to pick Princess.

Also to me the ads are somewhat bait and switch. At the end of all of the ads they show the new Royal Princess,

Earlier in one of the ads they show the deck 8 part of the promenade at the front of Grand Class ships. This does not exist on the Royal. The same ad also shows deck chairs there on deck 8. These chairs are never there on any of the ships.

Another ad shows nice big balconies. They do not exist on the new ships.

Have to say this thread made me laugh. Needed it after the day I had.

I quite like the new ads, and new slogan.

I do, however, have a problem with them showing the beautiful promenade deck in the beginning of an ad and then showing a full-frame shot of the Royal at the end of the ad.

Royal = BS promenade deck.

-Andrew

Well props to Princess, for at least trying to attract the next generation of cruisers to their product, Carnival is well aware that The Princess Cruise line stands to lose a good majority of its aging customer base with in the coming years.

Offering three, four and five day sampler cruises, look at how young the actors are in their new adds, guess you can say ....Out with the old in with the new.

Thank You for Cruising Princess Cruises.

Thanks for the you tube link...That ad is terrific! It's why we don't like playground ships. We like knowing that we are travelling on a vessel at sea and while there is entertainment on the ship, the ship is not the entertainment or the destination. It's a wonderful way to travel.

We love traveling with Princess.

I saw the same one twice yesterday. I like the ads very much. You can't over analyze an ad...really, a gecko selling car insurance????

Yes, but the Geico ads are (mostly) funny. The Princess ads neither make sense nor are funny. Fail to the power of 2.

I don't have any little kids around, and I've never sailed Carnival. But I have to admitt that current Carnival commercial with the kids ("who just met yesterday") walking with attitude and queuing up to go down the water slide makes me smile every time :)

Me, too! I love it -- and it was a brilliant way to reference the Olympics.

Before that, the only cruise line ad I ever liked was the old Celebrity ad campaign when they introduced their new big ship (was it Solstice?), that used David Bowie's "Fame." That was an awesome ad; jazzed you up to sail on them. Princess's ad instead of jazzing me up makes me want to go buy some Geritol and hit the early-bird special.

It also makes one feel somewhat unwelcome as a solo cruiser: not since Noah posted flyers for his maiden voyage has a cruise line sent out such a strong couples-only message.

This is interesting how ads work. To me as an older customer many of the car commercials or even the carnival commercials don't speak to me at all.

Princess is definitely reaching out to a particular market with its ads. I do think they are going for an older (but no ancient) audience. People who are looking to step up from the parties and "wow" stuff to a more sophisticated experience.

It is also not so much about the ship being a destination but taking you to someplace to experience something new-being the sights culture or anything else-and having a great time getting there. That, to me, is what Princess is all about.

It is not so much about big water slides, rock climbing walls and big town squares within the ship.

IMHO

I'm not a fan of the ads - they're boring! We have tons of fun on cruises and the ads are too calm...it made me think the target audience was specifically senior citizens. Here I am trying to promote Princess to my friends (we're in our 40s) and those ads don't look very fun at all!

Princess might be a decent cruise line if it would grow up. Why sell Princess when what you want is Carnival or NCL? We could all do without the yahoo crowd.

Edited by flyingshoes

I thought it was just me! :) And the "who just met yesterday" line is brilliant. I don't love Carnival for a lot of reasons, but I do love this ad.

When I first saw the commercials I was excited just to see one. But even then, the Come Back New catch phrase kind of made me go "Whaa?" It's not catchy at all, and frankly makes little sense. The ads are aesthetically pleasing, but don't make me want to rush to the phone to book. I'm already a fan of Princess and I don't need the ads, and I'm not sure Princess put its advertising dollars to their best use.

Maureen

I'm not a fan of the ads - they're boring! We have tons of fun on cruises and the ads are too calm...it made me think the target audience was specifically senior citizens. Here I am trying to promote Princess to my friends (we're in our 40s) and those ads don't look very fun at all!

I'd much rather have the low key ads of Princess than the hyperactive ads of some other cruise lines, who's attractions are rock climbing, "surfing", zip lining onboard, and the like. If that's what sort of "fun" one is looking for, those are the ads for those folks.

JMO, but I think Princess ads are more of a reflection of Princess' quiet classiness. And classiness is not just for us older cruisers. Plenty of 40-50 year olds seem to like it too.

I'd much rather have the low key ads of Princess than the hyperactive ads of some other cruise lines, who's attractions are rock climbing, "surfing", zip lining onboard, and the like. If that's what sort of "fun" one is looking for, those are the ads for those folks.

JMO, but I think Princess ads are more of a reflection of Princess' quiet classiness. And classiness is not just for us older cruisers. Plenty of 40-50 year olds seem to like it too.

I agree.....:):):)

Bob

I agree the the ads are a reflection of the quiet classiness. However, I don't like the slogan. If the ad closed with Escape Completely I think it would be more effective. I'm not a fan of Come Back New either.

I thought it was just me--I think the ads are bland and boring too. I suppose they are trying for sophisticated and elegant, but come off as dull. We're late sixties, so I guess we are the demographic they are trying to reach, and but though we've cruised on Princess 10 times, these ads wouldn't convince me if we were first-timers. While I do like to relax on cruises, it is possible to have fun on Princess!

Actually, I have a feeling they are wanting to attract young (30-50) sophisticated yuppie types; there are a lot of cruisers who don't fit this description.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Turning 60 in a month and I'd give anything to come back new. Hell, even gently used would be fine with me. Sadly these days I'm just happy to come back!

That just made me spit my drink out laughing.

Edited by suzski