"Come Back New"…Ummmm…No...

WillyBear

love the TV ad where a fiftyish couple is having lunch and the woman is gazing longingly at her husband looking spiffy and in control wearing a sport coat (at lunch, on princess?!) while he tells the waiter to surprise him with the wine. afternoon delight implied. "come" back new....LOL!

I don't think they are having lunch? I thought in the ad it said something about 'earlier today they tasted wine during their excursion' or something along those lines. I got the impression it was an evening meal in the MDR, not lunch in a sport coat.

I really don't get this new marketing campaign/tag line. "Escape Completely"…I don't want to come back new. I like who I am. My wife doesn't want to come back new. She likes who she is. Every time I hear the tag line on a commercial it bugs me...

It's a fantastic piece of marketing, clever, and deceitful. The comments I see here are largely from Princess cruisers who incorporate the new slogan into their preexisting experience. It's no different than changing the logo design, for those that know and like Princess, the new logo would just seem to fit.

What about those who've never cruised before? Do you really want to attract people in troubled marriages, living vicariously through their kids, who don't like who they are? I can just about guarantee, because that is exactly what the advertising campaign is offering, sugar pill psychotherapy. It is disingenuous to say the least, and unfair to you seeing a new generation of sad and grumpy faces. Every other major cruise line advertises what it has to offer, not how it will fix you.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

When I see the RCL ads, I see the target audience zip-lining, ice skating, surfing, cartoon characters, merry go-rounds etc. By the end of the WOW, I am exhausted. I know it is not what I am looking for.

When I see the new Carnival ad, I see cute kiddies flying down a loopty loop slide 4 at a time. Another great family atmosphere and more cartoon characters. Not what I am looking for.

When I see the Princess ad I know I am looking for a cruise that will bring me back to real life with a better ability to deal with it. I escaped on all my previous Princess cruises and I came back from each one feeling like a new person!

I think this says exactly what the Princess ads are trying to project. Thank you for clarifying it!!! :D

This is what I feel too - like the ads. :)

Edited by Mekamax

It's a fantastic piece of marketing, clever, and deceitful. The comments I see here are largely from Princess cruisers who incorporate the new slogan into their preexisting experience. It's no different than changing the logo design, for those that know and like Princess, the new logo would just seem to fit.

What about those who've never cruised before? Do you really want to attract people in troubled marriages, living vicariously through their kids, who don't like who they are? I can just about guarantee, because that is exactly what the advertising campaign is offering, sugar pill psychotherapy. It is disingenuous to say the least, and unfair to you seeing a new generation of sad and grumpy faces. Every other major cruise line advertises what it has to offer, not how it will fix you.

Wow... I think that you are extrapolating a bit too much from the ads and the slogan. Deceitful? Sugar pill psychotherapy? Disingenuous? :)

I think the point of the ads is that after a cruise, you may have a better outlook on life. I don't think anyone believes that all their problems will be cured by cruising.

hook line and sinker for me.

I love the new ads, I'm 35, and have cruised 4 times on princess and many more on the bucket list. I thought they were a home run when I saw the new ads.

I do feel like a new person, refreshed and ready to come back to reality when I come home.

just my opinion. :D

Wow... I think that you are extrapolating a bit too much from the ads and the slogan. Deceitful? Sugar pill psychotherapy? Disingenuous? :)

I think the point of the ads is that after a cruise, you may have a better outlook on life. I don't think anyone believes that all their problems will be cured by cruising.

I SO agree with you...the hyper analysis has spiraled out of control. It's quite simple, after a Princess cruise, you will feel refreshed. Not exhausted like the "other" lines. The ads alone are soothing.

I like the commercial and phrase

It just means that going on Princess............ your going to learn "new" things. experience "new" things.

They've vamped up the different excursions for Europe, Hawaii and Alaska.

Offering different things. Land tours, and stuff on the ships

I SO agree with you...the hyper analysis has spiraled out of control. It's quite simple, after a Princess cruise, you will feel refreshed. Not exhausted like the "other" lines. The ads alone are soothing.

I agree. I felt refreshed after our 1-day on EMERALD earlier this month. But I have always felt I "escaped completely" once I got my Sanctuary reservation for the trip.

Don't kid yourself, hyper analysis goes into all this advertising. Let's take this ad for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yOmR7B4N4c

What part of the ad mentions feeling refreshed? Which part talks about how exhausting those "other" lines are? Sure the ad is soothing, but so are most documentaries, it's meant to persuade. As I said, this ad is confirming your own bias, because what it says and what you think it says, are off. A potential first time cruiser doesn't have that advantage.

This ad will however appeal to someone in a stale relationship. The ship, the excursions, and a surprising new alcoholic beverage will turn your husband exciting again! If not bluntly, it entices subliminally. Franky I would rather cruise with couples already excited to be together than those looking for a Band-Aid.

According to Princess, their cruisers are more interested in learning about different cultures than those that cruise on other cruise lines. So, the "new" part of the campaign is addressing that - how you'll have a new perspective.

Even so, I don't like the "come back new" line either. It sounds like I was "old" to start with. :cool:

Don't kid yourself, hyper analysis goes into all this advertising. Let's take this ad for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yOmR7B4N4c

What part of the ad mentions feeling refreshed? Which part talks about how exhausting those "other" lines are? Sure the ad is soothing, but so are most documentaries, it's meant to persuade. As I said, this ad is confirming your own bias, because what it says and what you think it says, are off. A potential first time cruiser doesn't have that advantage.

This ad will however appeal to someone in a stale relationship. The ship, the excursions, and a surprising new alcoholic beverage will turn your husband exciting again! If not bluntly, it entices subliminally. Franky I would rather cruise with couples already excited to be together than those looking for a Band-Aid.

I agree. That's the message I get as well.

Or for an outsider reading this Forum full of critics complaining they would then think it was more likely to be-

"I would rather come back and bitch!" :eek: :D :p

:cool:

Aren't some of these boards entertaining, though? I swear I come back new just from reading the posts when I discover stomach muscles I forgot about from laughing so hard. I imagine the anticipation I feel would rival that of folks who were waiting for the latest Penny Dreadful.

I thought the OP was complaining about grammar - 'New versus Renewed'. Must admit that poor grammar in ads often irks me, but then in ads the message is more important than the grammar.

As one poster commented '.... not very fun ...' I suppose they meant ' not very much fun', but that's just me being pedantic.

If I'd never cruised before, I would choose a Princess experience over the other mainstream "fun ships" based on side by side comparisons of the TV ads I've seen this past year. Then again, at my age (late 50's), it's where I want to be. They are clearly targeting a more mellow audience. Fine with me too.

If I'd never cruised before, I would choose a Princess experience over the other mainstream "fun ships" based on side by side comparisons of the TV ads I've seen this past year. Then again, at my age (late 50's), it's where I want to be. They are clearly targeting a more mellow audience. Fine with me too.

Even though Celebrity and Holland target a mellow audience, their commercials are more upbeat, emphasizing a bit of wow and fun:

Then again, even classic Princess advertising focuses more on the ambiance of the experience:

Even though Celebrity and Holland target a mellow audience, their commercials are more upbeat, emphasizing a bit of wow and fun:

Then again, even classic Princess advertising focuses more on the ambiance of the experience:

In all of the ads even the HAL ad that was in a foreign language the true cruise experience came through. People are smiling, socializing and seem to be having a good time. The passengers are interacting not staring into space like they have been drugged or had lobotomies. Granted the Love Boat theme is tired but the over all visual is accurate. At least that has been my experience on Princess.

Also the "Escape Completely....Come back New" slogan that the CC member came up with tells the whole story.