Loyalty Program - Time for a Change

boxztrs

Perhaps re Ruby, though if they thought people needed to feel good for cruises 4-5 to fill the gap, then the gap from Platinum to Elite is even bigger...

In terms of benefits, aping Ruby level they could perhaps move a perk like the Elite "10% Boutique Discount" down to the 10 cruise level. Or create a "10% of all photography" discount to go with the useless 10% off the reflections DVD ruby level. Other more revenue producing items could be here.

Or maybe 3 canapes on formal nights for those in this 10 cruise credit category?

Be thankful it's not the original # of cruises only.

From my perspective, booking a full suite is a choice. Singles have no choice but to pay 180-200% or else not sail. There's no absolutely fair way but IMHO, number of days per passenger keeps it simple.

There is somewhat of a choice component for some singles. When I travel with my girlfriends instead of my DH, I could choose to book my own cabin as a single, but would likely choose to share a cabin with one of my friends. Don't you often sail with your sister but choose to book your own cabin?

Given the amount that customers spend on a suite as compared to most other cabins, I feel like the 2x credit or days is warranted.

There is somewhat of a choice component for some singles. When I travel with my girlfriends instead of my DH, I could choose to book my own cabin as a single, but would likely choose to share a cabin with one of my friends. Don't you often sail with your sister but choose to book your own cabin?

Most times solos don't have a choice. Friends have died or can't travel due to health reasons, adult children have families to tend to etc.

Yup. You're right. I choose to be in my own cabin, as does my sister. If we shared, it would be far too much togetherness. Same for my friends. Once, four of us were cruising together, each in our own cabin. Confused the heck out of some people. :)

Yup. You're right. I choose to be in my own cabin, as does my sister. If we shared, it would be far too much togetherness. Same for my friends. Once, four of us were cruising together, each in our own cabin. Confused the heck out of some people. :)

Have a great cruise Pam. Wish I had thought of going on it also. I'm really "slipping" since I retired...lol:eek:

I'm smiling at this because the 3- and 4-day cruises were filled with Platinum/ Elite passengers who knew a good bargain because Princess couldn't give these cruises away. Literally. Actually, they did give them away as I (and thousands of others) have my cruise fare back as a credit towards payment for my next cruise. I haven't seen so many B2B2B etc. Hundreds per cruise. No, it wasn't a booze cruise because so many got free cruises and they could bump up a level or two quickly in the Captain's Circle program.

Count me as someone who feels that the Princess loyalty program is fine as a stand-alone. For those who feel they should all be combined, be careful what you wish for since the good Princess benefits will disappear.

BTW, I've taken some great HAL cruises and am a 3-star Mariner. I guess I'm one of those "old" people.

We booked a four and five day back to back sailing as a nine day cruise, Princess had emailed us an offer we could not say no to for our mini suite.

Now that we have been doing the longer sailings, we have more then learned, the longer the cruise, the OLDER the passengers, our last cruise was like being on a floating nursing home at sea, we have decided to just mix it up with some of the shorter sailings, we want to stay with Princess because of the Past Passanger Program, we are really looking forward to our short nine day cruise.

John, Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Hawks

I am getting antsy hearing everyone mentioning Princess Last Minute deal emails they can't say no to. Ever since we booked our Tahiti to Vancouver cruise for April we have stopped receiving the regular "Deals" Emails. I even tried signing up again but nothing. It seems like they stopped emailing us once we had a trip booked. Frustrating!

Terry

The problem is that based on number of cruises, one can reach Elite after 5 three day cruises. If it went strictly by days, all would be treated equal.

As others have said, not everyone is booking suites as a single (in fact, I can't imagine too many doing this unless they have a ton of money). Many are getting to elite by their days on board (if I had said number of cruises, I really meant number of days).

I am getting antsy hearing everyone mentioning Princess Last Minute deal emails they can't say no to. Ever since we booked our Tahiti to Vancouver cruise for April we have stopped receiving the regular "Deals" Emails. I even tried signing up again but nothing. It seems like they stopped emailing us once we had a trip booked. Frustrating!

Terry

That is true. According to the Future Cruise Consultant on the Pacific Princess, who gave a number of well-attended talks on booking with Princess, they do not email you once you have an active booking and will not do so until six months after you return from your cruise. I do not know when you receive them if you cancel, she did not say to my recollection.

As others have said' date=' not everyone is booking suites as a single (in fact, I can't imagine too many doing this unless they have a ton of money). Many are getting to elite by their days on board (if I had said number of cruises, I really meant number of days).[/quote']

I have done so, four times. Once was a one-night cruise and (gasp) done to qualify me for Elite, as well as because I had never been on any of Princess's larger ships (that is, not the Ocean or Pacific) and it would be a nice introduction. The other three were on the infamous Ruby promotion. It was fun, but I don't plan any more.

Incidentally, I became Elite on 76 nights, meaning I had paid for 152.

Edited by Wehwalt

I have done so, four times. Once was a one-night cruise and (gasp) done to qualify me for Elite, as well as because I had never been on any of Princess's larger ships (that is, not the Ocean or Pacific) and it would be a nice introduction. The other three were on the infamous Ruby promotion. It was fun, but I don't plan any more.

Incidentally, I became Elite on 76 nights, meaning I had paid for 152.

I got to Elite the hard way ..... 13 cruises and a total of 154 actual days onboard!!

Tough work, but the rewards are so worth it! ;)

Edited by flamomo

If a company loses sales to another company (regardless of brand), then I call that poor marketing. Royal Caribbean figured it out, why can't Carnival.

Totally agree!!!!!!!!! If I want to try something new then I have no incentive to stay within the Carnival family!!!!!

My bold - there were absolutely no cutting back on the perks on any level - they just added more perks to the new levels. I am very happy with the result:D

It CAN be done successfully!!!!

Celebrity and RCI combining their perks has been a hot mess. They ended up cutting back on their perks and making new levels. I think they should have left it alone. IMHO.

This is more inline with what airlines and hotels are doing to their reward programs too. They are devaluing them and not enhancing them. Why would Princess want to add more perks to their loyalty program when they already have some of the most loyal customers in the cruise business. They know we are not going anywhere else. They are after new customers not ones who have been with them for years or decades..:confused::):cool:

Totally agree!!!!!!!!! If I want to try something new then I have no incentive to stay within the Carnival family!!!!!

Unless you have Carnival stock then you receive Shareholder Benefit in the form of OBC.

This is more inline with what airlines and hotels are doing to their reward programs too. They are devaluing them and not enhancing them. Why would Princess want to add more perks to their loyalty program when they already have some of the most loyal customers in the cruise business. They know we are not going anywhere else. They are after new customers not ones who have been with them for years or decades..:confused::):cool:

Exactly. As long as the perks do not become too diluted, they will keep us at Princess. However, there are all those thirty year olds to get who might go on a booze cruise twice a year, three or four days suit them fine. And as they age, Princess has them … kinda like Carnival gets them.

Unless you have Carnival stock then you receive Shareholder Benefit in the form of OBC.

According to the Future Cruise Consultant on the Pacific Princess, who gave some seminars last month when I was aboard, that is the inter-line benefit CCL has chosen to have. Period. I know we say they SHOULD do such and such, but it's their job, and they probably have more data to work with than us.

Edited by Wehwalt

Wasn't the Loyalty program based on both number of days and/or number of cruises? That changed recently for some reason. I forget what it was as far as each. And if someone knew where to check it might still be there. I think Princess went to number of cruises to be a little fairer to all cruisers. Of course some take advantage of the program as will happen with any of them.

I say leave it the way it is. Right now no matter how long your cruise is you get credit for one. If you go to using days then one cruise of 50 days counts more than one cruise of 5 days. And that is one of the reasons I think it changed. There is no way to make everyone happy.

It has not changed. Each level is based on either number of cruises or number of days, whichever comes first. That seems to be most fair to me. Example: We will reach Elite after our first cruise next year, based on 15 cruises. But we could have done it with 150 days if a few of our cruises had been longer (we LOVE 14 day cruises).