Overnight in San Francisco

CU64

April 7, 2014 overnight......can we get back on ship anytime that night?

Barb

Hi Barb,:) yes, they leave the gangway opened all night on overnight

stays. You can come and go as you please:D just make sure you are

back in time for sailaway;)

• 4 weeks later...
Considering a last minute pacific coastal. Is one side of the ship better than the other for having the best views of SF while docked? :confused:

Thanks!

Sometimes they back in sometimes they pull straight in so there's no way to be certain how the ship will be docked.

I've never been on the ship, but I have seen the ships in port many times--you will have an equally good view on ether side. Unlike some ports where ships dock in an industrial area, in San Francisco the ships dock in a touristy area, close to Fisherman's Wharf. You can walk right off the ship and be in the city. Lots of opportunities for fun from that location!

Considering a last minute pacific coastal. Is one side of the ship better than the other for having the best views of SF while docked? :confused:

Thanks!

Don't think it makes a difference what side you are on both good. Last year we pulled in and were on the starboard side and had views of fishermans wharf and the bridge.

They are going to open a new cruise ship dock. They told us they were moving to dock 30/32. But do not know when.

Thanks!

Don't think it makes a difference what side you are on both good. Last year we pulled in and were on the starboard side and had views of Fishermans Wharf and the bridge.

They are going to open a new cruise ship dock. They told us they were moving to dock 30/32. But do not know when.

Don't think it makes a difference what side you are on both good. Last year we pulled in and were on the starboard side and had views of Fishermans Wharf and the bridge.

According to the SF Port cruise calendar, the new terminal is scheduled to have a ship there until September.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like Century will be at Pier 35N.

I have been on other cruises that stop in SF and once I recall overlooking the terminal building, what I don't remember is what direction we pulled in or what cabin I was in :)

I guess I'll just pick one and see what happens!

Most ships dock head in. So that means the right (starboard) side is going to face the golden gate bridge and Alcatraz will be seen from the starboard side. It really doesn't matter though because sailing into the city- that means that that Alcatraz will be off the port side. I was in an inside cabin on my last cruise in and out of San Fran and enjoyed the scenery from the open decks and from the buffet, pool area and lounges. Don't pick a cabin based on port or starboard. My recommendation is to pick a cabin low on the ship because there is a lot of motion sailing along the Pacific coast especially in and out of San Francisco.

In fact, she's there right now as I speak (type):

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-122.4058/centery:37.80795/zoom:8/mmsi:249054000

Happy sailing. we'll be on her next week!

When you zoom in, the pier number is Pier 35. No ship docks at Pier 39, as it is a MALL! :eek:

Pier 35 is only about 1/4 mile walk to Pier 39 however.

Most ships dock head in. So that means the right (starboard) side is going to face the golden gate bridge and Alcatraz will be seen from the starboard side. It really doesn't matter though because sailing into the city- that means that that Alcatraz will be off the port side. I was in an inside cabin on my last cruise in and out of San Fran and enjoyed the scenery from the open decks and from the buffet, pool area and lounges. Don't pick a cabin based on port or starboard. My recommendation is to pick a cabin low on the ship because there is a lot of motion sailing along the Pacific coast especially in and out of San Francisco.

We don't have a problem with motion and as with previous cruises we'll be up on deck bright and early to sail under the golden gate. I am more concerned with enjoying the view while in port (would prefer not to overlook the terminal). We'll probably go with starboard and hope for the best.

When you zoom in, the pier number is Pier 35. No ship docks at Pier 39, as it is a MALL! :eek:

Pier 35 is only about 1/4 mile walk to Pier 39 however.

Looks like the same place we docked as on prior cruises, Thanks!

Starboard side will be alongside the terminal (actually an old warehouse on the pier). Most balcony cabins will have a view over the pier of the Golden Gate Bridge, pier 39, Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf and the San Francisco skyline.

Port side there is another pier warehouse, but you can see the San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge pretty much up close. Yerba Buena Island and Treasure Island, San Francisco skyline and the City of Oakland. The Bay Bridge is lit up at night quite nicely.

I can live with either view. They both have their pluses and neither have any negatives in my opinion.