55+, military, and EMS discounts Question

I understand that not all sailings or categories are available with discounts. But one interesting note here - based on his post, it sounds like if you check the various discount eligibility options, it narrows down the selection and only shows you cruises which have those discounts? :confused: My preference is to check off the ones I'm eligible for - C&A, 55+ and possibly resident discount based on state - and have it show me best available prices for ALL cruises that meet my destination/timeframe/departure search parameters.

Also, whenever I start "shopping" and doing mock bookings on the RCI website, the price detail shows just a single line for "discount." How can one determine whether the discount is for 55+, resident or some other eligibility? I can figure out the C&A because balcony discounts should show on ALL cruises, but for 55+ and resident, how can you tell which discounts you're getting on a given booking?

Yes it will only show sailings with whatever discounts you have checked. I only check one at a time so I know for sure which discount it is. I am sure there is an easier way though.

At least with the military rate there is a pop up screen that explains the criteria for qualifying for it.

My New Year's Eve cruise had a Mil discount applied within 2 weeks of the sail date. I called RC, they gave us on-board credit and upgraded us to a inner balcony...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes it will only show sailings with whatever discounts you have checked. I only check one at a time so I know for sure which discount it is. I am sure there is an easier way though.

At least with the military rate there is a pop up screen that explains the criteria for qualifying for it.

Thanks - if there is, I sure haven't found it - and I'm generally pretty good with the web stuff. Definitely not the way I'd design a website, but then I guess its pretty generally acknowledged that the RCI website is less than great (trying to be charitable!) :o

Guest maddycat

The way that I understand it is that the special rate, or what RCI calls a "deal", is a price reduction on the current rate for a cabin catagory.

When I check the price for a cabin that I have booked, I check off all of the special rates that may apply to my booking. If it shows a rate that is less than what I booked my cabin for, I contact my TA and ask him to get me the reduced rate. Of course, this is always before final payment.

I have never had a problem getting the lower rate applied to my booking. At various times I have gotten senior, resident and military rates. My TA always tells me what proof I should bring with me to show that I qualify for the special rate.

My New Year's Eve cruise had a Mil discount applied within 2 weeks of the sail date. I called RC, they gave us on-board credit and upgraded us to a inner balcony...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Rules have changed since then. After final no reductions or OBC

I think that asking your TA to constantly monitor rates for you is a bit naive. My TA works very hard for me, but I personally monitor the rates and let her know if a better deal is available. I say this because the TA's certainly have a number of clients and would spend a significant portion of their day watching for new rates.

Anyway, for me, the best way is to sign up for an internet TA site and monitor them that way. As I am eligible for military, regional, interline, and senior, I use an Interline website and check off senior, military, and the state I live in. It shows me the lowest rates available, but all the cabins, whether there is a discount or not. Then, since I'm D+, I check the non-discounted rate on RCI website to make sure the reduced rate is more than the regular rate minus my D+ discount. Then I email my TA and let her do the work. As I said, she works very hard to resolve issues to my best advantage.

Guest maddycat
I think that asking your TA to constantly monitor rates for you is a bit naive. My TA works very hard for me, but I personally monitor the rates and let her know if a better deal is available. I say this because the TA's certainly have a number of clients and would spend a significant portion of their day watching for new rates.

Anyway, for me, the best way is to sign up for an internet TA site and monitor them that way. As I am eligible for military, regional, interline, and senior, I use an Interline website and check off senior, military, and the state I live in. It shows me the lowest rates available, but all the cabins, whether there is a discount or not. Then, since I'm D+, I check the non-discounted rate on RCI website to make sure the reduced rate is more than the regular rate minus my D+ discount. Then I email my TA and let her do the work. As I said, she works very hard to resolve issues to my best advantage.

What is Interline?

Guest maddycat
What is Interline?

websites that sell cruises from different companies (can't list specific sites as its against the rules). same type of sites you probably use for booking airline tickets if you catch my drift.

Thanks.

We booked a 9 Night cruise the price was 5078.00 in a Jr. Suite with diamond balcony discount When we got home the next day there was a price drop. In February we got a $1300.00 dollar military discount. Since then the price of the cruise has gone up and the military discount has gone down. It's all about timing. And we still have our onboard credit. Keep checking everyday.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

This has definitely been an interesting thread!

I've twice gotten a military rate applied to an existing reservation; once it just happened that when I called to "transfer" my onboard booking to my TA, they said, "hey, looks like there's a military 'discount' on your cruise" and called RCCL to have it applied. The second time, (for this summer), it was posted on my roll call and I called the TA. I really didn't expect to get a break this summer, as it appeared I was already booked at a better fare than was currently showing, but did in fact get a break. This TA caters to military, but doesn't show military rates on its web page, so I can't actually determine what was RCCL and what was them. All I know is I saved money (but not as much as a new booking appeared to show).

One thing I have noticed, in general and not just with discounted rates, is that it can be difficult to compare a RCCL fare to a third party bookers rate, as I find one will include all fees in the reported fare, and the other will require you to go almost to booking to see the total cost. Which makes it hard to judge whether a residence, 55+ or military rate will give you a break without calling your TA.

Just one of those things with the industry, I suppose.

I never thought to ask for a mil discount. We sail in 12 days but it can't hurt to ask. I didn't use a TA, booked right thru the cruise line. When we were looking all the prices from different Web sites were the same as booking directly. We only booked about 3 months ahead of the cruise.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

I never thought to ask for a mil discount. We sail in 12 days but it can't hurt to ask. I didn't use a TA, booked right thru the cruise line. When we were looking all the prices from different Web sites were the same as booking directly. We only booked about 3 months ahead of the cruise.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Jim1Reed, it can't hurt to ask, but in this situation it can't help either. If you booked three months ago and are sailing in 13 days, Royal is not going to give you any money back now, even if there is a reduced rate available that you're eligible for.

websites that sell cruises from different companies (can't list specific sites as its against the rules). same type of sites you probably use for booking airline tickets if you catch my drift.

If you are eligible for interline rates, then you probably know better than I do, BUT..............I thought that interline rates were rates available to those in the travel industry.

I guess we were lucky. When I booked on-line a cruise for May 18, I booked the trip in Dec ,2013. I checked the Police, Fire, and EMT and 55+ discounts. We received almost $400 off the price of the same cruise with those discounts. I tried to book the same cruise a few weeks ago (just seeing if it changed) and was only able to get a $84.00 discount for the same cabin and cruise date. We were also able to get a C&A discount of $125. That promotion was only available for about a week, on-line. I guess, if you book through the internet, you have to check daily to see what has changed and what discount you can get.

If you are eligible for interline rates, then you probably know better than I do, BUT..............I thought that interline rates were rates available to those in the travel industry.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're correct, Merion_Mom - its not just "websites that sell cruises from different companies" as that would be every single online travel agenvy site! :confused: papaflamingo is an airline pilot if I'm not mistaken, and his interline pricing would be special prices extended to one travel company's employees by another travel company.

• 4 weeks later...

I apologize for what may be a dumb question but the senior rate is for all PAX in the stateroom, even if one is not a senior...is that correct?

DH is 55+ I am not. I just booked a great deal on Explorer and it shows us both getting the rate but now I am wondering.

I apologize for what may be a dumb question but the senior rate is for all PAX in the stateroom, even if one is not a senior...is that correct? DH is 55+ I am not. I just booked a great deal on Explorer and it shows us both getting the rate but now I am wondering.
Yes, if one person in a cabin is eligible for a Special Rates, the second person in the cabin also gets that rate. I think that 3rds and 4ths are whatever that rate is. I've actually discussed with someone whose children in the same cabin were paying more than they were (Dad got a Military Rate, so Mom did also; 3rd & 4th had been almost as high as the "regular rate" and ended up higher than the Special Rate. Note that your C&A status does NOT apply to others in your cabin UNLESS they live in the same household AND have been connected to your C&A account.

Thom

Yes, if one person in a cabin is eligible for a Special Rates, the second person in the cabin also gets that rate. I think that 3rds and 4ths are whatever that rate is. I've actually discussed with someone whose children in the same cabin were paying more than they were (Dad got a Military Rate, so Mom did also; 3rd & 4th had been almost as high as the "regular rate" and ended up higher than the Special Rate. Note that your C&A status does NOT apply to others in your cabin UNLESS they live in the same household AND have been connected to your C&A account.

Thom

Thanks. I just confirmed with C&A and they said the rate applies to ALL in the stateroom. Not that it'll be more than the two of us.

They were also doing a special April booking bonus of $100 which is better than my $75 five night Emerald balcony discount so they applied that. Can't apply both.

Confusing, and I'm sure it's on purpose but oh well. Just glad right now I'm married to a "geezer" since it saved us over $600 this cruise!:p:p:p

I found the discounts are not additive when I booked direct with RCL. Sometimes the FF discount was higher than the age and residency discounts. The cruise lines are trying to maximize their revenue as well as filled cabins so it becomes an ongoing item to watch overtime to get the best deal. The Cruise Critic fare watcher is a good item. I did not realize about the cut-off for fare changes ends when final payment is due. If they came up with a fire sale on a cabin and the cancellation bite after first payment is not going to negate the cancellation that may be a way to go but likely a slim option.