All the little things....

dcedar

So the more I read the less thrilled I am. I know, all of these things are little but they are the things I love about cruising.

In comparison to Carnival...

RC rooms are smaller.

RC has no chocolates on the pillows.

RC only leaves towel animals sometimes.

RC has no free amenities samples in the cabin bathrooms.

RC does not offer free self-serve icecream (just yogurt)

RC has no bathrobes?????? <---- I just read that one.

Like I stated... these are small things. No robes in the staterooms????

Please tell me there are other little things that will make me feel pampered and loved! LOL

I have read food is better on RC and shows are better but what about the little things?

So the more I read the less thrilled I am. I know, all of these things are little but they are the things I love about cruising.

RC rooms are smaller.

Please tell me there are other little things that will make me feel pampered and loved! LOL

I have read food is better on RC and shows are better but what about the little things?

Bathrobes are available in suites and for certain tier Crown & Anchor loyalty program members. But if you ask your stateroom attendant, they may be able to provide one for you, if that is an important small thing.

To be very honest, I feel like the only one of these complaints that is valid is the room size. The rest seem rather petty. I don't know, I'll be on my first RCI cruise next week so maybe I'll come back with a different point of view afterwards, but it seems like those are not the things that should make or break a cruise.

RC rooms are smaller.

Negativity breeds negativity. If you embark expecting a bad experience, you will probably have one. It's all about you.

1. RC rooms are not smaller. SOME RC cabins are smaller than SOME equivalent category Carnival rooms. Some cruisers believe that those smaller RC cabins are laid out better and have better storage than the Carnival cabins.

2. Buy a box of Andes Candies. Or Ghirardelli chocolates. Or Lindt truffles. Add one to pillow per night. You will have a MUCH higher quality chocolate. Problem solved.

3. I just don't have a response.

4. This is a problem? I get bathroom amenities, and I don't use them. I like my own shampoo. And you CAN get them if you ask your cabin attendant. Just ask nicely.

5. I say frozen yogurt, you say frozen ice cream. Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto, let's call the whole thing off. You won't be able to tell the difference. Frozen gooey stuff coming out of a spigot. Dispense, lick, enjoy.

6. Just ask for one. Unless your entire cruise has been booked by high level C&A members, your cabin attendant will be able to get you those, too.

Don't sweat the petty things. (And don't pet the sweaty things.)

:)

To be very honest, I feel like the only one of these complaints that is valid is the room size. The rest seem rather petty. I don't know, I'll be on my first RCI cruise next week so maybe I'll come back with a different point of view afterwards, but it seems like those are not the things that should make or break a cruise.

Even room size isn't that big of a deal - there's plenty of storage, and we've never felt too cramped. And you're right, the other things don't make or break the cruise. Enjoy your cruise!

Please don't get me wrong. There are a zillion other things I am looking forward to so I will have a great cruise:) I am really excited about the ice rink and the rock climbing wall and the pools and the bars, and the food, and the ports and everything else. Believe me, these little things will not break my cruise:)

I have just heard the RC experience is so much better but I love those little things. I am just wondering what else I will be 'missing'. If I know ahead of time I won't be disappointed to learn of it on the cruise.

I always cruised the Carnival Dream and loved every bit of it. (I am sure I could probably find something I didn't like if I think hard enough)

Our last cruise we booked the Carnival Ecstasy. I worried like crazy that I would be 'missing' something because it is a smaller older ship. Knowing ahead of time the little things helped and I didn't feel like I 'missed' anything. I guess I am just weird. I like to know stuff ahead of time for smoother sailing:) We had a perfect cruise and I missed absolutely nothing because my whole time was filled with all the things that were there. Ya know???

Edited by dcedar

All the things you mentioned don't make me feel pampered and loved - it's the person I'm with that does that ;)

Well the only thing I can say is...then sail carnival. If that is what matters to you, then book carnival.

IMHO I will never sail carnival again for these reasons...the food(cold, bland,dry we actually could not wait to get off at ports so we could eat some

Decent food.) the service(or should I say lack of service. Never once did they use my name, getting a soda with the soda package unconvinced everyone, and trying to get warm food in MDR was impossible. They had too many tables) and the so so entertainment(musical performers were painful to listen to)

Now of course this is my opinion after 8 dreaded nights on Carnival freedom. We tried carnival because it was cheaper and we liked the itinerary. Never again even if it was free. My vacation time and money are precious.

We sailed oasis. It was the best week ever. Service was outstanding, we felt like we mattered, and the food was amazing. Did we get a towel animals every night on oasis? No. Did we get robes? No. Those things do not matter to us.

We got what we valued...service, entertainment, and quality food.

We have 2 more cruises booked with royal. Southern Caribbean summer 14 and Alaska 15. Is it more expensive than Carnival? Yes but we get what is important to us.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I guess you just have to ask yourself, does a piece of chocolate on the pillow really make up for any other shorcomings? If you won't have a great vacation unless you get a piece of chocolate on the pillow, then Carnival will probably provide you with a great cruise experience regardless of the service, entertainment, activities, etc.

Does Carnival actually have self-serve *ice cream* though? If it's "soft serve" that you swirl into a cone, that's usually neither ice cream nor yogurt. It's a conglomeration of ingredients that sometimes includes dairy and in America ALWAYS includes corn syrup to make it soft, but is neither ice cream nor yogurt.

I bet it will taste the same. Assuming you're not talking about ice cream from a tub that you scoop out.

I just love the RCL "soft serve" whatever it is. In general I don't care much for it at the salad bar places or anywhere else.

Really want to pack that machine and take it home with me. ;)

Also Bath & Bodyworks sells sample sized really nice items that I love almost as much as the soft serve "ice cream"

Enjoy your cruise! There is a lot to love!

RC rooms are smaller.

We've sailed both lines twice:

If RC's rooms are smaller (and frankly I'm not sure they are noticeably) they are much more appealing in décor, seating, and storage (lots of storage)

We let our RC room steward know how much we enjoyed the towel animals and had one each night - I actually ran out of room for them and finally took them all apart :)

We bring and use our own toiletries. Our RC bathroom counter wasn't cluttered with "stuff" we wouldn't even need or use.

Copied from the RC site FAQ's:

What amenities are offered in the staterooms - Royal Caribbean International And, like a fine hotel, all of our staterooms provide soap and (depending on your ship) a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner. Depending on your stateroom/suite category, your accommodations may include other amenities such as bathrobes, mini bars and more. Please check with your travel agent or our Customer Service Department to find out what specific amenities are included in your stateroom/suite.

The food on RC is way better than CCL both in the MDR and Buffet.

The RC shows and lounge talent was of a more professional level.

We loved our RC cruises and the upscale vibe onboard their ships. We felt much more special than on CCL in the overall way we were treated. Although the CCL cruises were fun because we made an effort to have fun - it's doubtful we'd ever sail CCL again given RC or HAL as an option.

RC rooms are smaller.

1. RC rooms are not smaller. SOME RC cabins are smaller than SOME equivalent category Carnival rooms. Some cruisers believe that those smaller RC cabins are laid out better and have better storage than the Carnival cabins.

Indeed. And some rooms on RCI are larger. The CCL Oceanview (non-balcony) rooms are a bit larger than their RCI "standard" equivalents, but most of the other equivalent categories are close to the same size, and there are some RCI cabins that are larger: the RCI suites (not including jr. suites, which are about the same size as CCL) are larger (some much larger).

Also consider the following:

Assuming, for a moment, that the cabins on CCL are significantly larger. Keep in mind that CCL puts more passengers on smaller ships. The aforementioned Dream, which is 1004 feet long, 122 feet wide (at it's widest point), is 130,000 gross tonnes, and has 1832 passenger cabins, which is 3664 double occupancy pax. Compared to a little larger RCI ship Voyager: it is 1020 feet long, 157.5 feet wide, 138,000 gross tonnes, but has only 1557 cabins, which is 3114 double occupancy pax (since it wasn't mentioned the upcoming ship, I choose a closely sized ship). Or 17% more passengers on a ship that is 6% smaller (by tonnes).

If the cabins on Dream were larger, that would cut into that smaller space with more passengers, meaning that the rest of the ship would be more crowded (not just feel more crowded). Even if they were approximately the same size (as suggested by my research), it is still smaller public space with more pax (the 275 more cabins at 185sf - the size of a typical balcony on CCL - means there is 50,875sf less for public space).

Booking an interior room? Many I talk to book the interior as they "won't be spending much time in the cabin anyway." Just possibly more public space might be more desirable than a larger cabin.

Edited by 3dog
Accurate calculations

We will be cruising for the first time with Royal in April. We have cruised on Disney, NCL and Carnival. There have been little things that we have enjoyed on each, and very few things that we have felt were lacking. Some think Carnival is a "lesser" cruise line, but we loved it. I think its really just about what is important to you. We book based on the ports we want to visit. Some are loyal to an individual line. Some go expecting to be disappointed, and will be. We just go expecting to make the best of whatever comes our way, and always have a great time.

It could be just me but if you like all of the things you mentioned and knowing that RCI is not going to have them and you are going to have a smaller room, then why not jus stay on Carnival and be happy rather than go on RCI and come back saying how you should have stayed on Carnival???? I don't get it! :confused:

There are few little things that each cruise line offers, or does not. One has to decide what is important.

RCCL also just eliminated flowers on the dining room tables as well as the flower cart, and just eliminated movies on the stateroom TV’s (At least on the Enchantment - not sure if it is fleet wide) . To some that is a big deal, to others no.

There was a recent post on CC, that folks want an inexpensive cruise, but complain if items or services are cut. Can’t have to both ways.

I hope you enjoy the cruise.

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

RC rooms are smaller.

Bottom line is that what you cited are the "little things." If those little things are giving you such pause about an RCI cruise, then I'm concerned about your expectations regarding the larger picture. Yes, many of those points were part of the cruising experience on RCI in past years, but times have changed. The larger things on RCI are wonderful, IMO: Service, food (I'm not picky, especially if I'm not shopping for it, cooking or cleaning up,) entertainment. Those are what I look for. We took one Carnival cruise, and while there were features that we really liked (such as some that you cited,) the overall experience was the deal breaker, especially for my DH. Food was awful (I mean inedible on more than one occasion,) entertainment was less than mediocre, and service was fair at best (Please no flaming--that was OUR experience.)

If Carnival is a better fit for you, then book Carnival. But if you decide to book an RCI cruise, please go into it with an open mind and THEN make your comparisons and determine what's best for you moving forward.

OK, time to get off my soapbox;):)

I thought I would miss the chocolates on the pillow and the towel animals...and I KNEW the kids would be disappointed, but after sailing a 9 night cruise in January, I realized on the way home we didn't have chocolate and only a couple towel animals, so I asked the kids (ages 10 & 12) if it bothered them not having either, they both said they "forgot" they didn't get them...so for us, it was no big deal...and at this point, the cruise on RC to us, was much more value for what we paid, I don't see us going back to Carnival, at least any time in the near future!

Comparing Carnival to RCI, my experiences only:

Yes, Carnival cabin was larger than RCI

Yes, Carnival had towel animals every night, RCI maybe twice

Yes, Carnival had chocolates on pillows, RCI none

Yes, Carnival had bathroom amenities, RCI just the all purpose cleanser

Don't remember bathrobes, don't need them

Now look at my signature. Notice how many RCI cruises vs. Carnival are listed. That speaks volumes.

Edited by BonTexasNY

RC rooms are smaller.

First of all, if these things are important to you then don't let anyone tell you they're not valid...that's ridiculous. Travel is very subjective and cruising is no exception. My wife and I have cruised both lines equally and are really not cheerleaders or detractors of either. That being said, we prefer RCCL. Ironically, the reason that we prefer RCCL is the culmination of the little things. When you board your ship I suspect you might see what I am talking about. In my opinion, RCCL ships are much more elegant. They tend to blow you away when you first walk in. The also seem to be much more logically laid out. With the exception of the last two Carnival ships, it drives me crazy that you cant walk from one length to the other on the bottom floors. Food is the most subjective of all but we have always enjoyed both with a slight nod going to Royal. We have also always had better MDR service on Royal. Another little thing for us are the hours of operation on pools and hot tubs. Our experience is that they are open later on Royal and we really like that. Its fun to be in the hot tubs at night. At the end of the day we love cruising and won't hesitate to take a cruise on either line. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Wait! I'm confused. (Not an unusual condition.)

"All-purpose cleanser?" We're sailing on EOS for the first time in July. Is there body wash in the shower? I don't care one way or the other, but I will bring my own if RCCL doesn't provide it.

Please don't get me wrong. There are a zillion other things I am looking forward to so I will have a great cruise I am really excited about the ice rink and the rock climbing wall and the pools and the bars, and the food, and the ports and everything else. Believe me, these little things will not break my cruise

I have just heard the RC experience is so much better but I love those little things. I am just wondering what else I will be 'missing'. If I know ahead of time I won't be disappointed to learn of it on the cruise.

I always cruised the Carnival Dream and loved every bit of it. (I am sure I could probably find something I didn't like if I think hard enough)

Our last cruise we booked the Carnival Ecstasy. I worried like crazy that I would be 'missing' something because it is a smaller older ship. Knowing ahead of time the little things helped and I didn't feel like I 'missed' anything. I guess I am just weird. I like to know stuff ahead of time for smoother sailing:) We had a perfect cruise and I missed absolutely nothing because my whole time was filled with all the things that were there. Ya know???

OP, I understand what you mean. I'm weird like that, too.:p

For the same reason, every time I book another Carnival cruise, I check out CC to find out what the latest cutbacks are, so I know what to expect. For instance, I will now not be surprised when our table in the MDR doesn't have a tablecloth on our upcoming Pride cruise. And I know my favourite desserts have been discontinued.:mad::rolleyes: If I didn't find these things out until on my cruise, my enjoyment of the cruise would be slightly dampened. So, I'm with ya on this.

Here are a few of the little things (some of them very little, but still nice)that I noticed and appreciated on our first RCI cruise last month:

• lots more live musicians and singers all over the ship, at many different times -- including a Calypso / Reggae band on the pool deck (which Carnival no longer has), and a string duo in the MDR on one night.
  • much better and more varied live entertainment and shows.
  • the DOD souvenir glasses are actually made of glass.
  • RCI still has roast duck on their dinner menu.
  • RCI still has tablecloths on their dining tables and the waiters still use the little crumb-scraper squeegy thingy.:p
  • Because of RCI's more elegant understated decor, I noticed myself stopping and appreciating the art that was tastefully displayed, as opposed to being sometimes overwhelmed and usually just tuning out the "art" on my Carnival cruises.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Edited by ShakyBeef

Wait! I'm confused. (Not an unusual condition.)

"All-purpose cleanser?" We're sailing on EOS for the first time in July. Is there body wash in the shower? I don't care one way or the other, but I will bring my own if RCCL doesn't provide it.

I believe it's a combo shampoo/conditioner.

Please don't get me wrong. There are a zillion other things I am looking forward to so I will have a great cruise:) I am really excited about the ice rink and the rock climbing wall and the pools and the bars, and the food, and the ports and everything else. Believe me, these little things will not break my cruise:)

If your last few cruises have been on carnival you will be pleasantly surprised on your RCL cruise....K.O.:)