Mariner renovations - Spring 2014

chronicler

Does anyone know the extent to which the Mariner is going to be re-done? I was hoping that the suites (cabins, rooms, whatever ;)) were going to be redecorated to match the beautiful Voyager suites. I've heard that some of the public areas were to be done but nothing else from Regent thus far. Anyone have a clue?

Second question....can't believe we cannot use cruise credits to pre-book the excursions that carry an additional cost. We have close to $800 in ship board credits and are not big spa goers nor do we need to spend that much on upgraded wines, etc...so why not use them for special excursions. Anyone have experience or hints?

Thanks on both counts!

:):)

Unless the rules have changed from last summer, you can book your excursions as early as possible. Your record will show the cost. Then, once you're aboard, you simply go to destinations desk and you can use your OBC. No problem at all.

Agree with previous posts but want to stress what chronicler posted. You can cancel and rebook your excursions using on board credits as long as the excursion is not full. If the excursion is full, when the cancellation goes in, the booking is taken by the first person on the waiting list. Just want you to be clear on this.

Assuming that the Mariner refurbishment will the same as on the Voyager and Navigator, big changes are being made to public spaces and some suites (penthouse if I recall correctly). Soft goods (bedding, drapes, etc.) can be replaced any time they are needed. Only the "big stuff" is done when the ships are taken out of service.:)

Edited by Travelcat2

This is what I thought...no guarantees...thanks for the confirmation and for the info about the refurbishments....no PH suite for us!! but looking forward to seeing the rest. As far as excursions...we are on the June 8-22 Venice to Monte Carlo and the extra $ was for the Barcelona day. There are three times for groups going to our destination, all OK with us, so maybe we will be safe in paying up front...or maybe it's not necessary....who knows? I guess you cannot go on the wait list until the excursions are full...bit of a catch 22!!! We'll survive.. Quality problem ;).

Unless the rules have changed from last summer, you can book your excursions as early as possible. Your record will show the cost. Then, once you're aboard, you simply go to destinations desk and you can use your OBC. No problem at all.

Just to be perfectly clear, you have to book and pay for the excursion with a credit card before boarding then if there is availability, destinations will simply cancel your paid excursions and rebook them using your OBC.

You then get cash for the cancelled excursion so for your credit card churners out there this is a double advantage as you get your points or what ever for your credit card purchase as well as a full refund for what you charged.

If the excursion is full at that point, you can also cancel and get your refund and then be put on the wait list at that point and if room opens up then use your OBC to pay.

Book your excursions in advance. Then when you board, go to the excursion desk, and they can tell you if the excursion is full or not and how many people are on the waitlist if there is one. Then you can decide to cancel and rebook using the OBC or just keep what you already have reserved.

Ah, I'd forgotten to include that detail about the excursion needing still to have space. Thank you everyone.

Chronicler: $800 ship board credit--wow! Are you able to share how it is you get that much without breaking CC rules? E.g. I know one can't mention a specific travel agency. Are there other ways one can enjoy those OBC's?

Also: We're on this itinerary with you. We'll be at Venice Westin Europa the evening before and are hoping to share water taxi to ship. Any chance you'll be there as well? (Or you may be at Regent pre-cruise hotel and transport?)

Looking forward!

When I asked at Destination Services at the beginning of our Montreal-Miami cruise last October whether or not a particular excursion was full because we wanted to cancel and rebook using our SBCs, I was told it didn't matter, and I was able to promptly cancel and rebook with our credits without the staffer checking to see if the excursion was waitlisted. A policy change on Regent's part? That's what I assumed. Perhaps Regent is responding to the fact that more and more cruisers are hep to the cancel/rebook-using-SBCs strategy and decided to cooperate by removing the waitlist exception.

Edited by Mr Rumor

When I asked at Destination Services at the beginning of our Montreal-Miami cruise last October whether or not a particular excursion was full because we wanted to cancel and rebook using our SBCs, I was told it didn't matter, and I was able to promptly cancel and rebook with our credits without the staffer checking to see if the excursion was waitlisted. A policy change on Regent's part? That's what I assumed. Perhaps Regent is responding to the fact that more and more cruisers are hep to the cancel/rebook-using-SBCs strategy and decided to cooperate by removing the waitlist exception.

Really interesting information! It seems that this whole policy is something that has never been in writing (at least we haven't seen it). We prefer Regent Choice Excursions and have never been fans of "free" excursions. So, if this is a policy change, it will make it easier to book the better excursions. :)

OK -- My math may be wrong but we get $200 OBC for each of the 7 day sails..that's $400... and $300 for using our Amex card to pay for the cruise...that's $700...and I thought our T/A was going to give us $100-200 as she did last year on our first Regent sail but instead she is giving us a transfer from the Marco Polo airport to our hotel once we arrive in Venice. So it's $700.

(We live in California and are flying UAL to London, overnight at LHR then BA to Venice the next morning arriving in Venice by noon or so.)

poss,

There are TA's that give lots of OBC's and others that give very few credits but offer a 5% cash rebate of the cruise cost. You ought to be getting one or the other. We prefer the 5% cash rebate. If you're not getting either, I'd suggest you start hunting around. With a little searching, you ought to be able to find a better deal.

poss,

There are TA's that give lots of OBC's and others that give very few credits but offer a 5% cash rebate of the cruise cost. You ought to be getting one or the other. We prefer the 5% cash rebate. If you're not getting either, I'd suggest you start hunting around. With a little searching, you ought to be able to find a better deal.

With a little searching or asking others on board you can easily get a 10% rebate from very reliable and excellent TA's who know how to book and support Regent cruises. Before any others post that Regent doesn't allow more than 5%, that is totally incorrect. 10% plus other benefits are available from more than one TA in the US.

With a little searching or asking others on board you can easily get a 10% rebate from very reliable and excellent TA's who know how to book and support Regent cruises. Before any others post that Regent doesn't allow more than 5%, that is totally incorrect. 10% plus other benefits are available from more than one TA in the US.

On our recent Navigator cruise we met a very savvy and experienced fellow traveller. I specifically asked him how and where he booked and what benefits/discounts he received. It was more in line with what ralleydave is suggesting. There was a nominal "booking charge" required for the agent he used but it was extremely beneficial to do this. Being from Canada ( where significant discounts are limited), if i chose to book another Regent cruise (value is questionable given price increases and marketing practices that are not consumer centric), I would be sure to use this American agent and benefit by a 10% discount.

OK -- My math may be wrong but we get $200 OBC for each of the 7 day sails..that's $400... and $300 for using our Amex card to pay for the cruise...that's $700...and I thought our T/A was going to give us $100-200 as she did last year on our first Regent sail but instead she is giving us a transfer from the Marco Polo airport to our hotel once we arrive in Venice. So it's $700.

(We live in California and are flying UAL to London, overnight at LHR then BA to Venice the next morning arriving in Venice by noon or so.)

Trying to get the thread back on track. Think that it's great that you are receiving the transfer to the airport in Venice! Those transfers can be complex and expensive! $700 is also a good amount for OBC's. It should take care of some of the rather expensive excursions that are offered in the Mediterranean.

I think we established that you booked this through Regent using a deviation. Right? If this is true, it is good to hear that they are using UAL out of CA. For a while they were using airlines from the U.S. that I didn't care for. How nice that you will spend the night in London (assuming you want to be there:-)

We travel on UAL b/c my husband retired from same and we receive 20% off the best fare we can find....usually there is no comparison. So no, we did not book through Regent. We used up all our miles on our last trip and flying stand-by (e.g. "Free") while it used to be easier, is next to impossible now unless you fly during off off season which June is not! We love London...and spent a week there last year before flying to Rome to pick up our first Regent cruise (7 day) But this time it's a matter of convenience and UAL's flights...

Never heard of T/A's discounting cruises....but then although we have traveled for years, mostly

Europe and Hawaii and here in the Rockies, once to Australia and NZ - we are relatively new to cruising. One Seabourn Greek Islands/Turkish Coast ten years ago, then last year on Regent then this one. And we are new to T/A's! Always planned and booked the trips myself...we have a lot to learn and you are all helping!!! So great!!

Well, does anyone know what the refit will entail?

It's a lot of "ifs, buts and maybe's" so far. Regent'swebsute tells you nothing, nor does any of the "trade" media.

I am particularly interested to know because we have just booked a 10 night Barcelona - Venice cruise for April 2015. I know that us a long way ahead but I'd still like to know what might happen to the SS Aft suites, as we will be in one of those!

After years of listening, watching & waiting this will be our first Regent cruise - we are devotees of Cunard, partic Queens Grill. The Regent option looks a attractive because of the inclusive pricing, smaller ship & the more informal dress code. I'd still like to know what will be happening with this refit tho'.

I have a few other questions, which might warrant a new thread, so I'll leave at at that for now.

I posted the following early on in this thread: "Assuming that the Mariner refurbishment will the same as on the Voyager and Navigator, big changes are being made to public spaces and some suites (penthouse if I recall correctly). Soft goods (bedding, drapes, etc.) can be replaced any time they are needed. Only the "big stuff" is done when the ships are taken out of service."

Regent keeps their ships in top condition. We were in a Seven Seas Aft suite on the Voyager (after refurbishment) and it looked great -- even though it wasn't specifically part of the refurbishment.

Yes, thanks - I did see that. I just wondered if there was any more clarity on the matter.

Could you possibly also advise re: the balcony please - I have heard that the Horizon View balcony dividers do not extend as far as the rails, which seems odd. Do you know if there is a gap between the SS Aft suite and the adjacent HV suite?

Got to say, the suite itself looks as good, if not better than the Q5 we go for on Cunard. I can't tell you how excited I am about this trip, even tho' it is over a year away and I have just paid the deposit this am! :)

Edited by Pies4u

The balcony dividers in general do have small openings on both sides. In order to see the people in the next suite, you would have to make an effort as the openings are slim:)

Think you will love the Mariner. She is a beautiful ship and her larger suites are fabulous!

Thanks again. It does look and sound a wonderful ship.

Can't wait - and it wil be an interesting contrast with Cunard.

I'll probably have a few more q's over the next few weeks/months.

Unless they change during the dry dock, the balcony dividers between the Horizon Suites and the Seven Seas Aft Suites are only partial dividers in the shape of a right triangle and allow people in adjacent suites to see into your balcony while standing near the railing. Here's a photograph of the Mariner showing the balcony dividers.

https://media.rssc.com/m/#/assetdetails?uuid=e38c9e43-6a39-44a6-9e3c-37cdf4f15718

Hope this helps.