Updates from the Emerald Princess-Feb 27-Mar 9

Rosethorn40

Boarded yesterday. They were trying out a new embarkation system. Elites were placed in the lounge that normally held any who had priority boarding. Elites were boarded before any others. Platinum's (like us) were in a different holding area, and we were seated in the order we arrived and would board in that order. Boarding began at noon. We were the first Platinum's (Not traveling with Elites) that got on the ship. Our first stop was the Sanctuary.

The price has indeed gone up; $30 pp per day x 9 days = $270 for those that get it for the cruise duration. $40 for a full day, or $20 for a half day for those that get individual days. Even though I ran like mad, most of the prime locations were gone. I would say nearly a third of all loungers had been taken by B2B & Elites. By 12:30 all available spots had been reserved.

Next stop was the Thermal Suite. There was no couples price. The normal price is $149 pp for the cruise duration, but they were running a special for $129 pp. I don't think they sold out as of last night they were giving tours.

The Crab Shack will be available on nights 4, 6, and 9.

Last night's movie on MUTS was "Thor: The Dark World", tonight is "Captain Phillips" Other movies on the agenda are "Las Vegas" and "Hunger Games"

If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them.

Back to the Sanctuary for some more R&R

That was the way both Emerald and Ruby boarded in January. It worked great on the Ruby because the man in charge of the platinum area was very strict about going row by row. He made a joke of it, but he kept everyone in line.

On the Emerald Jan. 8 embarkation as soon as the lady let one row go people from every other row leaped over the seats and pushed ahead. She did nothing so it was pretty chaotic.

I hope we have the same man for the Ruby on March 15th.

Any idea if the embarkation was changed temporarily only due to number of Elites boarding?

I'm wondering if this is something they do only if there are more than the usual numbers of Elites or if it will be always.

We are platinum too...

Thanks!!

Edited by cruisintoddler
re read post and saw answer to my question!

Does the Emerald still do a wine package, also is the all-inclusive drink package available?

Thanks for any reply!

They have the wine package. I'll have to see about the price. The all inclusive drink package is available for $49 pp per day.

DH and I are not the biggest drinkers in the world, but on Carnival we found a drink called the Mocha Chocolate Getaway. Our only lament about this cruise was no Mocha Chocolate Getaway's. However, Princess has an excellent substitution, The Dirty Banana. I highly recommend for those that just like an occasional drink :)

Any idea if the embarkation was changed temporarily only due to number of Elites boarding?

I'm wondering if this is something they do only if there are more than the usual numbers of Elites or if it will be always.

We are platinum too...

Thanks!!

I don't know if the way they did embarkation was because of the large number of Elites (There were a lot). The lady in charge was so overwhelmed because she was trying to direct Elites one way, Platinum's another, and then you have Blue, Ruby & Gold milling about not sure where to go. They needed more people to direct "Traffic"

The lady in charge Said it was an experiment, but based on an earlier comment they have been experimenting for some time.

I don't know if the way they did embarkation was because of the large number of Elites (There were a lot). The lady in charge was so overwhelmed because she was trying to direct Elites one way, Platinum's another, and then you have Blue, Ruby & Gold milling about not sure where to go. They needed more people to direct "Traffic"

The lady in charge Said it was an experiment, but based on an earlier comment they have been experimenting for some time.

Thanks Rosethorn40! I love cruisecritic - At least we'll know what to expect when we arrive - maybe the old way, maybe the new way! :D

( We are counting down - 9 sleeps to the cruise! )

Spent most of the day in the Sanctuary, but I did have a general observation about PAX make-up; almost no children, seemed that most passengers are couples, 50+. Mostly American's with a fair number of Canadians.

Pool water is cold, The one hot tub at the Lotus Spa Pool that I tried wasn't very hot.

Our first stop was the Sanctuary.

The price has indeed gone up; $30 pp per day x 9 days = $270 for those that get it for the cruise duration. $40 for a full day, or $20 for a half day for those that get individual days. Even though I ran like mad, most of the prime locations were gone. I would say nearly a third of all loungers had been taken by B2B & Elites. By 12:30 all available spots had been reserved.

On the CB recently it was $20 for a half day and $30 for a full day.

On the CB recently it was $20 for a half day and $30 for a full day.

Perhaps the person answering was talking about $30 if buying the full cruise. Remember that unless buying the full cruise, Sanctuary is sold in 1/2 day blocks, so that would be $40 for a full day. Sanctuary was never discounted for daily bookings - only for full cruise. Based on what I know and my direct experience, unless you actually booked a single day for $30, I think you were being quoted the rate if able to book the full cruise (or balance of full cruise - not that I expect that is ever possible since full cruise bookings have normally sold out in the past on day 1).

Boarded yesterday. They were trying out a new embarkation system. Elites were placed in the lounge that normally held any who had priority boarding. Elites were boarded before any others. Platinum's (like us) were in a different holding area, and we were seated in the order we arrived and would board in that order. Boarding began at noon. We were the first Platinum's (Not traveling with Elites) that got on the ship. Our first stop was the Sanctuary.

Next stop was the Thermal Suite. There was no couples price. The normal price is $149 pp for the cruise duration, but they were running a special for $129 pp. I don't think they sold out as of last night they were giving tours.

Last night's movie on MUTS was "Thor: The Dark World", tonight is "Captain Phillips" Other movies on the agenda are "Las Vegas" and "Hunger Games"

PRE-BOARDING

Were you in Terminal 2? In my experience, they have always had the Suites & Elites room and I felt I saw a lot of them heading up the elevator for our FEB 7th sailing. But then I expected a different demographic for our first cruise >7 days. We were among first to arrive at the Terminal on FEB 7th. However, where we were waiting compared to some others ended up having us and our friends second in line outside the building to a party of 3. Turned out that party of 3 had at least one ELITE member and up the elevator they went (this group of 3 will come into play later).

Due to our friends slowing us up getting check-in cruise cards, we ended up sitting 2nd in the Platinum waiting area and continued to be 2nd when we went upstairs. Last year we were led on board RUBY following the SUITES & ELITES. This year with EMERALD on the 7th, we boarded using the other gangway and were the second couple on board.

The SUITES & ELITES are always going to get on first (at least those who arrive early enough).

SANCTUARY

Like you, we were virtually the first on board (the Platinum couple ahead of us were not going for Sanctuary - and would not have had a prayer to get there before me anyway ). Our plan was executed flawlessly (I am willing to be more open about attack plans now that the price has doubled) by leaving carry ons with the ladies and the two guys took off for Sanctuary. Upon arrival, the only folks in sight were the party of 3 (with one ELITE) who were first in line at the door (see above). Every sailing is different, so either no other SUITES & ELITES wanted Sanctuary or we beat them all to the punch. I and my friend were the 2nd and 3rd to book chairs (2 per couple). The ELITE party of 3 booked full sun chairs and when I saw that happening I was nervous that all the covered chairs were gone. But turns out they booked that by choice (yippee). I got two prime chairs (at least prime for our wants) and my friends got good location they were happy with.

That said, a lot of chairs were gone from B2B cruisers as I expected. They get first dibs over everyone. I also think they sold more than 1/2 the inventory on our cruise. Officially it's supposed to be 1/2, but I think they sold a few more due to the B2B bookings (my guess as I did not get a straight answer upon inquiring). I was just happy.

On the 3 @SEA days, they had to turn people away. Except the one morning it was briefly rainy so I know that turned the day folks off.

I also wonder if most of the folks rushing to book on your cruise also got sticker shock since the price change was so new many would not be aware of it.

On our cruise, all full cruise loungers were gone prior to 12:30. We were walking on board up the gangway just (and I mean just) after 11:45. I was at the Sanctuary check-in desk probably by 11:50 or so. By the time we had booked, another woman was there to book who we had seen pre-boarding and she wondered how we beat her there (she took elevator of course). Other than that, no one else was in sight when we left the area to go back to cabins to catch up with the wives. Nonetheless, when we returned to use our chairs, I found out they had sold out quickly.

PS - You have a new manager @ Sanctuary. The previous manager left the ship on FEB 17th. Otherwise you have the same team we had. They were nice guys and okay but we had a better team a couple of years ago.

Enjoy the cruise.

Edited by steelers36

The embarkation day Patter for this Emerald Princess cruise still states the Sanctuary is $15 per day ($135) if booked for the full cruise; $10 for a half day and $20 for a full day. If you were charged otherwise, I would definitely question that (and I still have the 2/27 Patter if you need it to prove your point).

The embarkation day Patter for this Emerald Princess cruise still states the Sanctuary is $15 per day ($135) if booked for the full cruise; $10 for a half day and $20 for a full day. If you were charged otherwise, I would definitely question that (and I still have the 2/27 Patter if you need it to prove your point).

It's so discouraging that Princess can't be consistent in many things - especially pricing! We booked the Sanctuary last year on the Emerald and paid for 10 days - not 9 as cruisers are now reporting. And as stated here, many spots were booked by B2B cruisers - wonder how much they paid as opposed to the newly embarking passengers. We board the Emerald on 4/8 and I don't think we will do the Sanctuary dash - at $540 for the 2 of us to have a spot in the Sanctuary is a little much. Unfortunately, I don't think Princess will have a problem selling the Sanctuary with the increased price.

Interesting! I hope the OP got that price and fought for it. This is one thing Princess is not good at - consistency between ships for additional venues like this.

PRE-BOARDING

Were you in Terminal 2? In my experience, they have always had the Suites & Elites room and I felt I saw a lot of them heading up the elevator for our FEB 7th sailing. But then I expected a different demographic for our first cruise >7 days. We were among first to arrive at the Terminal on FEB 7th. However, where we were waiting compared to some others ended up having us and our friends second in line outside the building to a party of 3. Turned out that party of 3 had at least one ELITE member and up the elevator they went (this group of 3 will come into play later).

Due to our friends slowing us up getting check-in cruise cards, we ended up sitting 2nd in the Platinum waiting area and continued to be 2nd when we went upstairs. Last year we were led on board RUBY following the SUITES & ELITES. This year with EMERALD on the 7th, we boarded using the other gangway and were the second couple on board.

The SUITES & ELITES are always going to get on first (at least those who arrive early enough).

SANCTUARY

Like you, we were virtually the first on board (the Platinum couple ahead of us were not going for Sanctuary - and would not have had a prayer to get there before me anyway ). Our plan was executed flawlessly (I am willing to be more open about attack plans now that the price has doubled) by leaving carry ons with the ladies and the two guys took off for Sanctuary. Upon arrival, the only folks in sight were the party of 3 (with one ELITE) who were first in line at the door (see above). Every sailing is different, so either no other SUITES & ELITES wanted Sanctuary or we beat them all to the punch. I and my friend were the 2nd and 3rd to book chairs (2 per couple). The ELITE party of 3 booked full sun chairs and when I saw that happening I was nervous that all the covered chairs were gone. But turns out they booked that by choice (yippee). I got two prime chairs (at least prime for our wants) and my friends got good location they were happy with.

That said, a lot of chairs were gone from B2B cruisers as I expected. They get first dibs over everyone. I also think they sold more than 1/2 the inventory on our cruise. Officially it's supposed to be 1/2, but I think they sold a few more due to the B2B bookings (my guess as I did not get a straight answer upon inquiring). I was just happy.

On the 3 @SEA days, they had to turn people away. Except the one morning it was briefly rainy so I know that turned the day folks off.

I also wonder if most of the folks rushing to book on your cruise also got sticker shock since the price change was so new many would not be aware of it.

On our cruise, all full cruise loungers were gone prior to 12:30. We were walking on board up the gangway just (and I mean just) after 11:45. I was at the Sanctuary check-in desk probably by 11:50 or so. By the time we had booked, another woman was there to book who we had seen pre-boarding and she wondered how we beat her there (she took elevator of course). Other than that, no one else was in sight when we left the area to go back to cabins to catch up with the wives. Nonetheless, when we returned to use our chairs, I found out they had sold out quickly.

PS - You have a new manager @ Sanctuary. The previous manager left the ship on FEB 17th. Otherwise you have the same team we had. They were nice guys and okay but we had a better team a couple of years ago.

Enjoy the cruise.

Yes, we were in Terminal 2. The only other passenger ships in port were a Celebrity ship and the Bahamas Express (Is that a ferry?)

It seems we read the same playbook when it came to the Sanctuary, only in our case DH carries the bags because due to back/leg issues he is slower than I. I ran up those stairs and woe to anyone who got in my way (Just kidding of course.....maybe). Anyway the woman ahead of me (An Elite) admitted that she too had the same attitude-Don't get in my way!

I didn't head anyone complaining about the price!!!! But yesterday it did seem that it took longer for the daily passes to sell out. We got there about 8:10 and there were two men able to get 4 chairs, and it was a beautiful sea day.

As far as enjoying the cruise I intend to! I am away from cold, snow, and polar vortex's, and that's all I require. :)

Interesting! I hope the OP got that price and fought for it. This is one thing Princess is not good at - consistency between ships for additional venues like this.

I paid the $540, but I still have my platter from the 27th. I am going to take a closer look. Of course the attendant did tell me the $540, so I don't know if I will win my argument, but it's worth a shot.

It's so discouraging that Princess can't be consistent in many things - especially pricing! We booked the Sanctuary last year on the Emerald and paid for 10 days - not 9 as cruisers are now reporting. And as stated here, many spots were booked by B2B cruisers - wonder how much they paid as opposed to the newly embarking passengers. We board the Emerald on 4/8 and I don't think we will do the Sanctuary dash - at $540 for the 2 of us to have a spot in the Sanctuary is a little much. Unfortunately, I don't think Princess will have a problem selling the Sanctuary with the increased price.

I disembarked on the 17th but was told by the sanctuary manager the price was doubling that day. And I know the B2B cruisers were told as well. I heard the housekeeping manager informing my room steward to make sure all the in transit passengers were informed of the Sanctuary price change when she brought him the in transit information for his passengers.

Thank you for the updates!

Do you know when JJ Ullrich is due off, I've heard he isn't the best CD out there and if possible who is going to replace him :D

Many thanks!

Hello, I am on the April 8 sailing and am wondering who the Captain is?

Thank you!

I paid the $540, but I still have my platter from the 27th. I am going to take a closer look. Of course the attendant did tell me the $540, so I don't know if I will win my argument, but it's worth a shot.

I think if you bring the Patter with you and point out the published price, you'd have a good argument. The Serenity Stewards may not be able to change it, but I betcha if you went to the Purser's Desk, you'd be able to present your case with more open ears to the people that have ability to credit you some of that money back.

Thank you for the updates!

Do you know when JJ Ullrich is due off, I've heard he isn't the best CD out there and if possible who is going to replace him :D

Many thanks!

I was told by a member of the crew this is his final voyage with the Emerald. No word yet on who will be replacing him.