Park Cafe- Roast Beef Sandwiches

bjohio

Mostly tough, chewy beef on the Grandeur. No au jus served with it, like you are familiar with with ordering a French dip sandwich. The beef being sliced in the Windjammer is much more tender and, if sliced thinly, perfect on a roll. The salads in Park Cafe on the Grandeur are good but offerings are hit and miss. Actually my favorite in Park Cafe is the egg salad sandwich, but again it's hard to find. The idea is good -- it needs refined.

Grew up with beef on 'weck sandwiches in Buffalo so I find it fascinating how people rave over them. They are tasty but it does really depend on how the beef is cooked. I'm interested to try them on Grandeur this April

I hope you got your Schwabl's before that old lady crashed into it during the Thanksgiving holiday! ;) We went to Mandy's instead. :D

I live in NY. Nothing beats a good NY deli roast beef sandwich so no rave from me!!!

A Beef On Weck from Charlie the Butcher or Anderson's (Buffalo, NY) beats a NY City deli roast beef every day, and twice on Sunday!

A Beef On Weck from Charlie the Butcher or Anderson's (Buffalo, NY) beats a NY City deli roast beef every day, and twice on Sunday!

I'm sure you could be correct. My Dad's from Buffalo!;) Any sandwich on any cruise ship has some good competition from me!! Kind of like a slice of pizza. I am spoiled!!;)

Will be on the Vision in May---our first time on that class.

Does Park Cafe also have salads, such as tuna salad or chicken salad?

yes.

during the afternoon there will be one or 2 soups and a variety of simple sandwiches/panninis. in the center display case there will be a few premade/prewrapped options and anywhere from 1-3 salads.. maybe tuna, maybe coleslaw, maybe shrimp that will be plopped in a bowl for you. additionally there will be a shelf of desserts and some pre cut fruit and maybe some yoghurt or granola. there are also single serve bags of chips and whole fruit( bananas, apples) that you could almost always just grab yourself.

additionally, there is a much smaller version of the tutti salad bar. In the mornings its a bagel bar with all sorts of toppings.

its actually my favorite place to go for a LIGHT lunch( gotta save room for Dinner dontyaknow)

the parma ham with brie is my second favorite option after the Beef on Weck.

I'm sure you could be correct. My Dad's from Buffalo!;) Any sandwich on any cruise ship has some good competition from me!! Kind of like a slice of pizza. I am spoiled!!;)

Forget the Roast Beef, give me a NY deli Pastrami (sp?) on Jewish rye sandwich!!! Only been to NY 5x but Debde, you are right, you are spoiled when in comes to food living in NY!! I think I ate my way thru Manhattan and Queens ( best Pizza I ever had was from Queens). We ate mainly at "mom and pop" places and "local" places and had a blast. Have cousin who lives there and he gives us the "foodie" tour every time we go. Love Love Love NY and it's food.

Forget the Roast Beef, give me a NY deli Pastrami (sp?) on Jewish rye sandwich!!! Only been to NY 5x but Debde, you are right, you are spoiled when in comes to food living in NY!! I think I ate my way thru Manhattan and Queens ( best Pizza I ever had was from Queens). We ate mainly at "mom and pop" places and "local" places and had a blast. Have cousin who lives there and he gives us the "foodie" tour every time we go. Love Love Love NY and it's food.

Once you've had a Pastrami from Katz's -your ruined with those too!!!:D

We do have some good food and real Broadway shows so I'm pretty spoiled on both when I'm on board.

As far as cruising-never hungry or bored so all's good.:)

After a long hot day in Cozumel in the sun, walking back on board the Allure.....made it as far as the Park Cafe, just wanted a glass of water and a glass of diet coke....what the heck, I will try a roast beef sandwich.

mmmmmm, had another and some pecan treats.

Why did I wait so long:confused:

Now, planning for them on the first day of our sailing in July.

Sea Ya

Once you've had a Pastrami from Katz's -your ruined with those too!!!:D

We do have some good food and real Broadway shows so I'm pretty spoiled on both when I'm on board.

As far as cruising-never hungry or bored so all's good.:)

Katz's is outstanding pastrami. Heading to NY in a few weeks to do a few days of eating. EMP & Stone Barns here we come!

Grew up with beef on 'weck sandwiches in Buffalo so I find it fascinating how people rave over them. They are tasty but it does really depend on how the beef is cooked. I'm interested to try them on Grandeur this April

You hit the nail on the head... the quality and temp.(rare, Med. rare, etc.) of the beef is key to these sandwiches being really good or just OK. This is subjective depending on how you like your beef cooked. To me well-done beef is just horrid, but I know there are those who love it that way. The sandwiches I have had onboard have been mostly done "medium-ish" and were decent. Was it the best roast beef sandwich I ever had...No, was it tasty....Yes !!!:D

Edited by Rala
typos