Divina extreme reviews, is it the Divina, or the Reviewers!

American Bear

I could be wrong here but i believe all Balcony doors are the sliding type on the Divina ? i know they are on the Aft of the ship, and were also the sliding type on the Poesia.

30 cruises and 1 post ... hmmm.

MSC in general is just a mess.

Over the past twenty years, our TA has always sent us a gift of OBC. This year, we saw nothing. Upon returning, I found an email explaining he had sent OBC to MSC, but was notified they never processed it.

I haven't found a whole lot of things MSC did right, other than get us on and off the ship. They even had problems with that portion.

MSC in general is just a mess.

Over the past twenty years, our TA has always sent us a gift of OBC. This year, we saw nothing. Upon returning, I found an email explaining he had sent OBC to MSC, but was notified they never processed it.

I haven't found a whole lot of things MSC did right, other than get us on and off the ship. They even had problems with that portion.

Can you please be more detailed and elaborate on your concerns?

Especially the parts where you tried to get Guest Relations involved with your challenges and they failed.

If you spoke to the Restaurant Matre 'D about service challenges, were they not addressed? What happened with your breakfast, lunch and dinner? Was it bad? Was it Cold? Could you not eat it as it was terrible? Did you ask for another entrée and were refused? Did you attempt to have it made right and were ignored and cast aside?

What about cleaning problems in your stateroom? Did they clean your stateroom properly each day and you did or did not have ice to enjoy? Was there the proper amount of clean towels? If not, Did you take this matter to the Housekeeping Supervisor? Did they ignore you and not address your issues?

Did you address any complaint to the Cruise Director about the entertainment?

What about the Food and Beverage Manager? Did you speak to him/her while they were present each day at the Buffet to address any concerns?

What exactly happened? You paid good money you worked hard to earn and then spent on a charter arranged by the Head of MSC USA, Ken Muscat, who is one of us! He wanted to make sure that The Divina shined brightly to the Gay Community. Please tell me how and why MSC USA and The Divina fail in your opinion?

We are booked in May and though I am known as "The Mouth Of The South", I try to always find a silver lining. But I need to know. What happened and what did you do to try to correct the situation with MSC?

Were you offered remuneration for your conditions? Did MSC attempt to assist you in any way? Did MSC know of your situations that you were having? Did they not respond, or did you think that their response was inadequate? Please help me to understand why you had a less than stellar time.

I am shocked and dismayed at your post and if you want me to cancel my cruise and book with someone else, I most certainly will, but you will have to give me viable reasons to do so. I stick together with my peeps. Plus, I chose to sail on MSC USA Divina because of Ken Muscat and his direct overseeing of the Gay Community. He is a magnet for the success of several of our favorite cruise lines and I am totally shocked that MSC is not up to your standards.

Tell me what happened?! You are a ten thousand plus member for chis sakes....please give us a detailed education of what you experienced.

Edited by cruiseguys2009

Can you please be more detailed and elaborate on your concerns?

Especially the parts where you tried to get Guest Relations involved with your challenges and they failed.

If you spoke to the Restaurant Matre 'D about service challenges, were they not addressed? What happened with your breakfast, lunch and dinner? Was it bad? Was it Cold? Could you not eat it as it was terrible? Did you ask for another entrée and were refused? Did you attempt to have it made right and were ignored and cast aside?

What about cleaning problems in your stateroom? Did they clean your stateroom properly each day and you did or did not have ice to enjoy? Was there the proper amount of clean towels? If not, Did you take this matter to the Housekeeping Supervisor? Did they ignore you and not address your issues?

Did you address any complaint to the Cruise Director about the entertainment?

On day two of the cruise, The President of RSVP and CEO of RSVP & Atlantis held a Q & A with passengers willing to take the time. They had been besieged by complaints. All of the above were discussed, they both assured us MSC was addressing the complaints, and it would get better in the coming days.

By Day Seven, nothing had changed.

About all MSC delivered was value, Remember, you get what you pay for. It's unfortunate for MSC, they could have made a lot of money with RSVP.

Edited by Typhoon1

JW, it goes the same way on that cruise. I have heard from people that I know who enjoyed it very well and then there was a couple who didn't. As humans we all take things differently, as you can see in the reviews. My personal feeling on bar service was exceptional. They would go out of their way to learn how to make a drink if they didn't know it. I can so imagine the bar service being over swamp on a rsvp cruise, as you know we like to party :D This is probably the reason they did not offer the all inclusive drink package. Also recently on Celebrity reflection Piep piper cruise the bar service was slacking and over burden as alot of the group had the drink package.

The waiter staff did need more training and they are over worked with tables, but I lived with it and it was not outrageous. I only went to customer service twice and they were smiling and joshng with me about my card that became de-magnetized. I met one gay couple who were having the blast of their lives and were thoroughly surprised how nice workers were.

Give them smiles and they will give them back, speak to them by name and it makes it personal for them. It's amazing when they go from a frown to a smile when you treat them well too.

Example of someone else on the same RSVP cruise.

This was my first Gay Cruise and I must say that I was very impressed with the RSVP team. There was never a moment on the cruise that I did not feel like I needed something to do. The entertainment brought on the ship was amazing and I also was impressed with the MSC Shows. The theme parties were so much fun and everyone seemed to be having a great time. I do agree that the food was not the best I have had on a cruise, but I will say it was far better than the Carnival cruise I went on in December. I found the crew to be very friendly and willing to do their best to fulfill reasonable requests.

I know there were a lot of upset people, but to be honest I think negativity is sometimes like a virus and it spreads like crazy. I think some people just like to hear themselves bitch for no reason. I saw one passenger just screaming at a bar tender because he was pissed off that his cabin was not serviced earlier in the day. How does yelling at a bartender help get your cabin cleaned???

I thought the ship was very nice and I chose to look past the few minor issues with MSC and enjoy the overall experience. I am ready to book my next RSVP cruise and would also do it on the Divina if they decide to do so.

It was great meeting some of you and the CC Meet & Greet!

Edited by Bosjoe

On day two of the cruise, The President of RSVP and CEO of RSVP & Atlantis held a Q & A with passengers willing to take the time. They had been besieged by complaints. All of the above were discussed, they both assured us MSC was addressing the complaints, and it would get better in the coming days.

By Day Seven, nothing had changed.

About all MSC delivered was value, Remember, you get what you pay for. It's unfortunate for MSC, they could have made a lot of money with RSVP.

Great, that is fantastic that the TOUR Operator had a Q and A. Not the answer I was looking for. What did MSC do?

Please, tell me SPECIFICALLY, what happened to you! What went wrong with your hard earned vacation? Where did you lose your hard earned vacation dollar with MSC? Was it the tour operator's fault? Or did MSC have service issues and if so, what specifically happened to you to ruin your vacation?

Please let me know, because just on your word alone, which is sacred to the gay travel community, I will cancel everything, and just say too whoooey and go to P-Town instead. I am going anyway to P-Town, but I will extend my Memorial Day week to the entire month of May in our home....

SPECIFICALLY, Please! What did you personally experience that will make me cancel my cruise??? Obviously I would want me to cancel if you had a situation. Please tell me what it was? What happed to you personally?

My question is; Why is there not a roll call for MSC on Cruise Critic, and is anyone sailing on them the week of March 15th?

Sorry, didn't notice that someone had answered. Hope you found the roll call.

Edited by urkidn
already answered

You're on the same May sailing as my wife and I, and the roll call we have going seems to be one that will help make for an enjoyable cruise! I've been to P-Town with my wife years ago, a beautiful drive on the Cape, and believe it or not there were some unhappy people there in P-Town, as there are everywhere!

2 people on the very same cruise experiencing the same conditions can have very different views of the same cruise!

I think Bosjoe is right when he says no cruise is perfect, every cruise has something you can nit pick, and some more then others! So it seems that these nit pick things bother some people more then others, or maybe some people were unlucky, or it was bad Karma!:D

Now I don't want to nit pick, but one reviewer complaining about the Divina mentioned the hinged balcony doors, and from all the pictures I've seen of the Divina balconies, they have sliding doors! Not what he said! Does this mean he is lying? No, but he might be overstating a bit!

Imagine 4000 people on a large cruise ship like the Divina each week, some people will be in good moods, some not, some will be fighting with their spouses, or kids, some will be not feeling well, others will have had a bad travel experience to Miami, some will be tired of all the bad weather lately, some will have had a bad time at work before leaving, its a wonder all reviews of every ship aren't negative!

That being said, in my opinion, on an excursion cruise the majority of fault for problems usually lies with the people running the excursion, but I don't want to get into an argument of who's more wrong, since I wasn't there, and situations change all the time! Blame can go around to everyone, including the cruisers!

A couple reviewers made some excellent points that MSC is promoting the Divina as a 'European experience'! From my travels in Europe I can state there will be many things Americans will love about a truly European experience, but there will be some things they might not like, or think are bad! I cannot say my overall Divina experience will be positive, or negative until I take this cruise, its about exploring a new experience for us!

My wife and I have cruised on every line, and most ships out of Florida many times, and the reviews on all of them are mixed, with every line getting some good grades, and some bad grades, but we never give up hope, and we won't stop trying out new lines, or giving old ones we've cruised on before another chance! We've also found that you can make a good time out of a difficult one with the right mind set! I'm reminded of 2 cruises recently where some of the cruisers left a terrible cruise, (one sick with over 1000 people, and the one that had to be towed back to port) and they were smiling, and stated it wasn't so bad! :eek: Really! Those are the people you want to cruise with!:D

After you got in your new cabin, how did the rest of the cruise go?

Wow! That's like asking; after you got run over by the bus, how was the rest of your walk? Let's just say, if you have been on Princess, HAL and/or Celebrity you will be very disappointed by MSC.

Wow! That's like asking; after you got run over by the bus, how was the rest of your walk? Let's just say, if you have been on Princess, HAL and/or Celebrity you will be very disappointed by MSC.

I been on celebrity and rccl. Service was just as good on MSC I found pool side service and bar service was superior then my last Celebrity cruise. it all comes down to how demanding one person is and what they expect. If you expect to be treated like royalty and don't get it, then it's all down hill. Like I said I been in suite where my light switch did not work, it took them till the next day to grab me lights that plug in. There was no other suites available, i didn't go the rest of the cruise and let this detail ruin my cruise. I don't cry when I ask for more bread. I don't get upset when a few bugs have flown into my room because I had the balcony door open while in port and see them crawling around, unless tts a bee.

Soap box mode, off.

Edited by Bosjoe

Of course I am going to comment. Bugs do get into rooms especially balcony rooms, infestation I doubt it. As for your room location this is no fault of the cruise line, you choose your room, and didn't do your due diligence so your comment on that is moot.

Of course even fter you changed your room, the rest of the cruise was just awful.

I also dislike these post 1 post ever and been on 30 cruises and some how all of a sudden I find cruise critic to complain about a cruise.

I understand your complaints which to me are slightly minor, I wouldn't be pouting, he'll I had a suite on rccl and had no switch to control the lights and I had to call customer service to shut off and on the lights. Finally they brought some lights to plug into sockets a day later. Things are never perfect no matter what cruise line your on. The only worst cruises I see lately are the carnival fiascos that happened.

If the deck plan would have indicated that Category 7, Deck 8 rooms were obstructed views I would not have booked it. Due diligence can only be done to the extent of the available information from the cruise line. While you may have experienced bugs in your cabin, this is a first for us and anyone else we know.

I wrote to MSC after disembarking and never got a response so when I came across this site, I thought my experience should be shared.

Imagine 4000 people on a large cruise ship like the Divina each week, some people will be in good moods, some not, some will be fighting with their spouses, or kids, some will be not feeling well, others will have had a bad travel experience to Miami, some will be tired of all the bad weather lately, some will have had a bad time at work before leaving, its a wonder all reviews of every ship aren't negative!

Your paradigm is lacking such a small thing like cruise ship.

Do you think all cruise ships are the same??

"Imagine 4000 people on a ship like the Divina" with high density PAX per square incn, no promenade deck, no observation deck, premium public space cut off public access, premium sun deck for fee, no free alternative dining options except less than perfect buffet, no proper spa and kids "sail free".

Now imagine the same 4000 people (with the same family, travel, business and health problems) on a spacious comfortable ship with first class amenities, great food with free alternatives and upscale specialty options.

Don't you see the difference? Rhetorical question.

My wife and I have cruised on every line, and most ships out of Florida many times, and the reviews on all of them are mixed, with every line getting some good grades, and some bad grades

Bingo!

All cruise lines are the same. All cruise ships are the same.

This is the passengers that are different, thus different reviews.

Thanks for eye-opening info!

Both Lexus and Kia have mixed reviews. So when we buy Kia we can hope that we are getting Lexus. It's all about the mindset.

Happy driving, sorry, cruising!

Edited by cruisetrail

I'll be on the Divina October 18. This is my first cruise with a European boat and I am a little concerned with the last comments.

We do have a roll call started for this sailing-I can't remember if you've joined it!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you think all cruise ships are the same??

"Imagine 4000 people on a ship like the Divina" with high density PAX per square incn, no promenade deck, no observation deck, premium public space cut off public access, premium sun deck for fee, no free alternative dining options except less than perfect buffet, no proper spa and kids "sail free".

Now imagine the same 4000 people (with the same family, travel, business and health problems) on a spacious comfortable ship with first class amenities, great food with free alternatives and upscale specialty options.

WHOA! If someone looking for a promenade deck, observation deck, free premium public space and sun deck, more alternative dining optins, a "proper" spa and no "kids sail free" promotion" (good luck on that last one, all the cruise lines have jumped on that one to compete), then WHY OH WHY would they book MSC??? Price? Well, who's fault is that?

Additionally, I find that most (not all) of the complainers on these boards are those who cruise for sport, not for vacation. I'm sure if I cruised back to backs, transatlantics, world cruises and was only home a few weeks a year, I would have plenty to say about how my experience compares from ship to ship. I, too, would be a "ship snob". Those of us who cruise a week a year, sometimes skipping several years to go on vacations other than on a ship, just to get away from work and relax, don't HAVE to have everything perfect like the Dowager of Downton Abbey.

Hey, if I had bad service or anything was not up to my own standards, I would definitely point it out in my review. Opinions are opinions, but I would not classify the whole trip as completely ruined for some of the reasons I have read. (Especially if, upon embarkation, something was not right and I complained that the crew did not IMMEDIATELY come to fix it. HELLLLLOOOO, you think you're the only one on the ship that has to have something corrected? Patience, people.)

Cruising SURE beats working and cooking and school for our family!

Please, what is P-town. The Cape should have been a hint but can't figure it out.

P-Town is short for Provincetown, MA. For just two and a half short summer months out of the year, Provincetown becomes the Gayest City on the East Coast and where The Party Happens non stop from Memorial Day to July 4th. From July 4th thru Labor Day, the party still happens, but a lot of the boys and girls move on to Fire Island, The Hamptons, Ogunquit and other delectable domains. The month of May, just leading up to the throngs of Thongs, is a fun filled refreshing time in P-Town, that is un-crowded and provides a gorgeous retreat to my senses in food, ambiance, relaxation, accommodations, shopping and creativity.

If the deck plan would have indicated that Category 7, Deck 8 rooms were obstructed views I would not have booked it. Due diligence can only be done to the extent of the available information from the cruise line. While you may have experienced bugs in your cabin, this is a first for us and anyone else we know.

I wrote to MSC after disembarking and never got a response so when I came across this site, I thought my experience should be shared.

When I select a cabin, I gather as many ship pics as I can to see where my cabin will most likely be. Here in this pic of the Divina, I can clearly see that for most of Deck 8, I do not want to be on a mid ship balcony because I do not want to look at the life boats. So you are correct that you looked down at the life boats but, not obstructed as you looked out at the ocean.

I understand your frustrations, but as you said that you were on over 30 prior cruises. I personally, having been on that many cruises, would have known that the "Deal" I was getting was going to come with a price tag somewhere else, like maybe an obstructed view.

Having said that, I will always take into consideration when choosing a cabin, what is above me (like a pool deck that could have deck chairs moving, sliding "creeeek" on the ceiling all night), where the disco is (not wanting the thump, thump, thump) an aft cabin that spits water from up above (either from the pool or window washing equipment). by the elevator to hear the loud drunks like myself getting off at 2 in the morning, or an obstructed view from my balcony. I study the pictures available and look at the cabins available and after satisfied with my research, then make a decision.

Due diligence is a wonderful thing and I trust nothing to glossy brochures or websites anymore.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/MSC_Divina_a_Istanbul.JPG

Edited by cruiseguys2009

The ships that offer more, cost more! A lot more! :eek:

The pricing of the Divina is not competing with HAL, or RCL, its pricing is competing with Carnival in the Caribbean! And right now the Divina is less expensive then any other 7 day Carnival cruise! My cruise in May on the Divina in a balcony is less then a similar Carnival cruise in an ocean viewl

So you are right about comparing apples to apples so to speak!

As far as the rest, I think you missed my point, the Divina is offering a Mediterranean style cruise, on a beautiful ship, for less then what Carnival charges! If cruisers keep that in mind, their cruise experience might be better! But some reviews smell (so to speak) of personal hang ups, or problems that weren't the problem of MSC!

As one reviewer stated in this thread, I'll be happy on the Divina at these prices with hamburger and hot dogs all week! :D

Honestly, me too!

I agree with you Bosjoe!

We are also Diamond members of RCL, and let me tell you that not one cruise I've been on with RCL, (including Celebrity, and Carnival), was perfect, or even close to it! And that includes the best in the Oasis class to the smallest in the Monarch and Majesty, and most in between!

But I've never had a cruise that wasn't worth the money we paid! Maybe we were lucky, maybe we aren't too picky, whatever!

I guess I'm stubborn, I'd never let a ship, some crew, some passengers, or something on the ship I don't like ruin an entire week in my life!:D

Honestly, if I saw a couple bugs in my cabin, I'd kill them! I'd just figure the last passenger in that cabin brought them in! Again a couple bugs wouldn't cause me to loose any sleep, but that's me!

But then again, those chair hogs, maybe the death penalty for them!:D

I agree with you Bosjoe!

We are also Diamond members of RCL, and let me tell you that not one cruise I've been on with RCL, (including Celebrity, and Carnival), was perfect, or even close to it! And that includes the best in the Oasis class to the smallest in the Monarch and Majesty, and most in between!

But I've never had a cruise that wasn't worth the money we paid! Maybe we were lucky, maybe we aren't too picky, whatever!

I guess I'm stubborn, I'd never let a ship, some crew, some passengers, or something on the ship I don't like ruin an entire week in my life!:D

Honestly, if I saw a couple bugs in my cabin, I'd kill them! I'd just figure the last passenger in that cabin brought them in! Again a couple bugs wouldn't cause me to loose any sleep, but that's me!

But then again, those chair hogs, maybe the death penalty for them!:D

Chair hogs are the enemy. I give them 1 hr, then grab their the towels and move them. Done it twice now. Once I got the pool attendant, the other on Divina I just moved the towels. What's funny when I read some of the reviews on this ship and people complaining about sea days and no place to sit. I have not been on one ship that it's not like this.

When I select a cabin, I gather as many ship pics as I can to see where my cabin will most likely be. Here in this pic of the Divina, I can clearly see that for most of Deck 8, I do not want to be on a mid ship balcony because I do not want to look at the life boats. So you are correct that you looked down at the life boats but, not obstructed as you looked out at the ocean.

I understand your frustrations, but as you said that you were on over 30 prior cruises. I personally, having been on that many cruises, would have known that the "Deal" I was getting was going to come with a price tag somewhere else, like maybe an obstructed view.

Having said that, I will always take into consideration when choosing a cabin, what is above me (like a pool deck that could have deck chairs moving, sliding "creeeek" on the ceiling all night), where the disco is (not wanting the thump, thump, thump) an aft cabin that spits water from up above (either from the pool or window washing equipment). by the elevator to hear the loud drunks like myself getting off at 2 in the morning, or an obstructed view from my balcony. I study the pictures available and look at the cabins available and after satisfied with my research, then make a decision.

Due diligence is a wonderful thing and I trust nothing to glossy brochures or websites anymore.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/MSC_Divina_a_Istanbul.JPG

Exactly JW, someone who supposedly done over 30 cruises would do this and not just spin the wheel and take any room.

Edited by Bosjoe

I digress, but in reference to the chair hogs, the lounge chair companies that provide ships with their supply should install a small "egg timer" type of device (that cannot be tampered with) on each chair. If you are on the chair, great. If you get up to swim or get a drink, just set the timer for 30 minutes. When the timer is at zero and you are not back, you're out of luck; things get moved (and you can't extend the 30 minute timer while it is going, and you can only reset it to start again after a 5 minute reset period). LOLOLOLOL I'm always thinking! Thank goodness I live in Florida and the last place I want to be on a cruise ship is out in the sun on a lounge chair.

Can you IMAGINE the anger in the reviews if they actually did something like this?!

The ships that offer more, cost more! A lot more! :eek:

Not necessarily.

My first attempt to cruise on MSC failed due to crazy price (Mediterranean - ended up with Costa).

The second attempt last fall failed too as we found a better price for a better cabin on a much better ship doing much better itinerary (HAL Nieuw Amsterdam).

How I was trying to cruise on MSC Divina - detailed resarch with pics and cabin numbers.

The pricing of the Divina is not competing with HAL, or RCL, its pricing is competing with Carnival in the Caribbean! And right now the Divina is less expensive then any other 7 day Carnival cruise! My cruise in May on the Divina in a balcony is less then a similar Carnival cruise in an ocean viewl

So you are right about comparing apples to apples so to speak!

That's true. HAL and RCI products are not comparable to MSC.

MSC competitors are Carnival and MSC.

As far as the rest, I think you missed my point, the Divina is offering a Mediterranean style cruise, on a beautiful ship, for less then what Carnival charges!

I don't know how overcrowded ship that lacks so many important amenities can be considered "beautiful". It's rather handicapped that beautiful.

I assume "beautiful" is often related to decor of atrium.

Cannot agree more about prices - MSC selling point #1.

Edited by cruisetrail