Rccl phasing out library rooms?

I am a poet and an author . I will not allow my writings on electronic media . I still read and buy books . No kindle or nook for me.

I do read on my Kindle, but I also read many "regular" paper books. I have often found books to read in the ship libraries. I can't imagine carting half a dozen paperbacks in my suitcase. Just stating my experience. I do think the sip libraries are not what they once were, but they are still available. Happy reading! :D

For me, the greatest virtue of my Kindle or iPad is the ability it provides me to bring along a large quantity of reading material when I am traveling. With all the weight restrictions imposed by airlines it would not be possible to take anywhere near as many magazines, newspapers or books.

Old thread but library on deck 7 on our recent July/August 2018 Navigator cruise was very popular. Lots of teens quietly playing cards and it was nice to see. There were a lot of teens on our cruise and I have to say it was nice to see the young'uns playing cards and not on t'internet/social media.

If RC wants to make money they can put a good coffee shop in or attached to the room. They could even sell their coffee cards there. Drink coffee or tea, read, play a game. use computers etc.

Not going happen. Royal's Rooms/Libraries been going away last 20yrs, They take away more and more public space adding dozen's of Cabin's. With those they make more money and on the Internet, people using own tablets/laptops. Besides ships already have existing coffee shops and "Premium" coffees to purchase. I'm one that bring's several books to read, just use my aft Balcony for my quiet place to read...

Couple of years ago, DH and I took a 17 day transatlantic cruise on Serenade of the Seas. We were stunned to learn that the ship's 'library' consisted of only a few shelves of books (half not in English) above a pool table located near a bar area. One day I saw one of the staff realigning the books and she confided that as libraries don't bring in money, this was a cost-cutting effort by RC.

If RC wants to make money they can put a good coffee shop in or attached to the room. They could even sell their coffee cards there. Drink coffee or tea, read, play a game. use computers etc.

That's what Holland America does with their Explorations Cafe. I was on Eurodam and they had a beautiful library with a coffee shop, lots of books, games, a puzzle area, and computers. And a great view, being up on the Observation Deck.

That's what Holland America does with their Explorations Cafe. I was on Eurodam and they had a beautiful library with a coffee shop, lots of books, games, a puzzle area, and computers. And a great view, being up on the Observation Deck.

Because it works for HAL does not mean that it would work for Royal. They cater to entirely different generations of cruisers.