Do you close the verandah suite drapes at night?

Stratheden

We always leave our drapes open at night. We have seen the lights of passing ships in the night and the twinkling of the lights on shore.

Absolutely love being able to look out at the passing lights if I wake during the night.

I always think about what if when I wake we are docked right next to another ship and they can see in? I know I am a tad bit paranoid.:o

I think you would have to have the lights on before anyone could see in. :)

I used to until one morning on the Zuiderdam I was sitting on the bed when a crew member opened the balcony door of the adjacent cabin walked across our balcony dragging a water hose, opened the balcony door of the cabin on our other side and kept on going dragging his hose. 10 minutes earlier he would have had a peep show! I'd just got dressed for breakfast and was waiting for my husband to finish up in the bathroom. Since then I always close the curtains at night and don't open them again unless I'm dressed.

On my most recent Disney Dream cruise, I had a large with seating porthole and would come in and open the curtain each night.

For my Alaska cruise this summer on the Westerdam, I know the light will likely require me to close them, but I'm going to request that my stateroom host leave them open at turn-down service. So I can check the balcony when I enter the cabin if for no other reason. :)

This post is humorous to us. When we were on our last cruise we commented on how we need to have absolute darkness to sleep when we're on a ship or on vacation but at home our bedroom is far from absolute darkness.

I used to until one morning on the Zuiderdam I was sitting on the bed when a crew member opened the balcony door of the adjacent cabin walked across our balcony dragging a water hose, opened the balcony door of the cabin on our other side and kept on going dragging his hose. 10 minutes earlier he would have had a peep show! I'd just got dressed for breakfast and was waiting for my husband to finish up in the bathroom. Since then I always close the curtains at night and don't open them again unless I'm dressed.

On a cruise, not sure if it was Holland America or not, my wife and I woke for the day (in port) and not especially late in the morning. Drapes are now open and while she was getting ready in the dressing area, I was just laying in bed watching the news in my drawers. Suddenly, to my surprise there was one guy (maybe 2) advancing up the side of the ship on a scaffold performing some maintenance cleaning thing. There they are, just looking into our balcony - Hello!

I thought it was funny and gratefully nothing of too much interest to see inside. I probably wouldn't care anyway. My wife is much more private however but it turned out to be a pretty funny story anyway.

Of course, if it were on the "clothing optional" cruise, a different reaction and response might have been in order - "Hey, guys, hi - thanks for staying onboard and not electing to get off the ship. We know you had that option according to the folks on Cruise Critic. Honey, come on out and say hello to the fellows working to help keep the ship so clean. We're all adults here; so no need for modesty or privacy at all. Well let's get dressed and get on with those excursions. Bye guys, have a nice day"

There was a time when we slept only in total darkness. I had no problem getting around our home or in the cabin.

But now that I have failing eye sight, I need some light.

If we do have people that leave their balcony/verandah lights on all night, then we do partially close the curtains.

Close ours at night out of consideration for other star-gazing nuts. People who leave their balcony lights on all night are really annoying.

Are the lights tied to the curtains? Trying to figure out how closing the curtains is "consideration for other star-gazing nuts", and all I can come up with is open curtains = balcony lights on while closed curtains = balcony lights off. But that seems...weird.

DH and I have a mixed marriage... I would rather have the drapes open and he sleeps best with them closed. Since I don't care that much, he wins. :) When I traveled all of the time for work, I used to leave the drapes in hotels open when I could to help reset my clock in different time zones.

Trish

Are the lights tied to the curtains? Trying to figure out how closing the curtains is "consideration for other star-gazing nuts", and all I can come up with is open curtains = balcony lights on while closed curtains = balcony lights off. But that seems...weird.

Closing the curtains stops the light from your room interferring with others who may be star gazing.

Closing the curtains stops the light from your room interferring with others who may be star gazing.

Oh, ok. I was thinking of "night" as when you go to sleep, so my lights would be off anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I only had a veranda twice; the first time I made sure to keep my draperies open at night. I asked the steward not to close them at turn down, but sometimes he forgot.

My cruise was up the coast of Norway on the Prinsendam, and over the top of Europe dropping down to Murmansk, then back again. I think we had about 7 days without sunset, and the other periods of darkness were pretty short.

I loved rolling over during the night, and rousing just enough to look out and see the gorgeous views before I went back to sleep.

On my recent Riviera cruise I also had a balcony, but I had a roommate, and she wanted the draperies closed, so, closed they were. I'm agreeable. :)

It depends on how we feel.

Sometimes we keep the drapes and (if weather permits) the door open so we can see out and hear the ocean.

If it is cold, we close the door and leave the drapes open.

Sometimes if we are up very late and want to sleep in, we close them both.

I closed them on my Baltic cruise, but only because neither I nor my travelling companion were adjusted to the "midnight sun" and we wanted it to be as dark as possible while we slept.

In the Caribbean, I left them open. But I usually have an ocean-view cabin so I'm used to keeping the curtains open 24/7 on the cruise. I really like the privacy curtain the S-class vessels have (had? I haven't been on an S-Class in a few years) between the dressing area (bathroom) and the bed. That made it very nice to keep the curtains open and still get dressed with privacy.

Sometimes we keep the drapes and (if weather permits) the door open so we can see out and hear the ocean.

Keeping the door open cuts the A/C to everyone else on the same line. That includes cabins on lower decks that don't have the opportunity to open a door for some air flow.

Keeping the door open cuts the A/C to everyone else on the same line. That includes cabins on lower decks that don't have the opportunity to open a door for some air flow.

We leave the drapes and balcony door open while we sleep. We like the sound of waves crashing on the bow.

There is a sign by the balcony door requesting you do NOT leave it open. It is there for a reason. The same as the sign for the toilet.

Leaving the balcony door open invites problems for everyone else.

In fact a few cruises ago - I told the steward our room was warm - he said wait until we start sailing and everyone FINALLY shuts the balcony doors - they had been busy going up and down asking people to close the doors on top of everything else they have to do on embarkation day :eek:

He said within 3 hours of everyone keeping their doors closed all would be right - and he was totally correct.

Keeping balcony doors open despite the signs is vey inconsiderate of other passengers IMO. It might not be deliberate but it does cause problems.

For anyone who really wants that fresh air I suggest you take a pillow and a blanket on the balcony and shut the door;)

There is a sign by the balcony door requesting you do NOT leave it open. It is there for a reason. The same as the sign for the toilet.

Keeping balcony doors open despite the signs is vey inconsiderate of other passengers IMO. It might not be deliberate but it does cause problems.

For anyone who really wants that fresh air I suggest you take a pillow and a blanket on the balcony and shut the door;)

You took the words right off of my keyboard.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting the exact same thing.