Do you close the verandah suite drapes at night?

Stratheden

There is a sign by the balcony door requesting you do NOT leave it open. It is there for a reason. The same as the sign for the toilet.

Leaving the balcony door open invites problems for everyone else.

In fact a few cruises ago - I told the steward our room was warm - he said wait until we start sailing and everyone FINALLY shuts the balcony doors - they had been busy going up and down asking people to close the doors on top of everything else they have to do on embarkation day :eek:

He said within 3 hours of everyone keeping their doors closed all would be right - and he was totally correct.

Keeping balcony doors open despite the signs is vey inconsiderate of other passengers IMO. It might not be deliberate but it does cause problems.

For anyone who really wants that fresh air I suggest you take a pillow and a blanket on the balcony and shut the door;)

I don't get it. Why does HAL (or any cruise line) do that? I have stayed in a large number of hotels in all climates and cannot recall any case where the hotel says I should close the door.

Isn't the primary reason for having a balcony stateroom to be able to use the balcony, whether for sitting outside or being able to enjoy the tropical breezes and the sounds of the ocean?

What if you want to sit on the balcony while your significant other is preparing for formal night? Why should you be forced to close the door rather than being able to chat with him/her in the otherwise very pleasant environment?

What if you invite several folks into your stateroom to enjoy an adult beverage before dinner and the crowd is too big to squeeze everyone onto the balcony? Why should the group have to be split into two?

Sounds like the inconsiderate folks are the cruise lines for offering the balcony ambiance, then saying you can't use it as you please.

Maybe someone knows why the rule/limitation exists in the first place and can share it with us..

I don't get it. Why does HAL (or any cruise line) do that? I have stayed in a large number of hotels in all climates and cannot recall any case where the hotel says I should close the door.

Isn't the primary reason for having a balcony stateroom to be able to use the balcony, whether for sitting outside or being able to enjoy the tropical breezes and the sounds of the ocean?

What if you want to sit on the balcony while your significant other is preparing for formal night? Why should you be forced to close the door rather than being able to chat with him/her in the otherwise very pleasant environment?

What if you invite several folks into your stateroom to enjoy an adult beverage before dinner and the crowd is too big to squeeze everyone onto the balcony? Why should the group have to be split into two?

Sounds like the inconsiderate folks are the cruise lines for offering the balcony ambiance, then saying you can't use it as you please.

Maybe someone knows why the rule/limitation exists in the first place and can share it with us..

Every hotel I've stayed in says that opening the window will interfere with the a/c:confused:. Haven't staying in a lot of hotels with balconies so I can't recall. Why would a balcony be different?

There is a sign by the balcony door requesting you do NOT leave it open. It is there for a reason. The same as the sign for the toilet.

Leaving the balcony door open invites problems for everyone else.

In fact a few cruises ago - I told the steward our room was warm - he said wait until we start sailing and everyone FINALLY shuts the balcony doors - they had been busy going up and down asking people to close the doors on top of everything else they have to do on embarkation day :eek:

He said within 3 hours of everyone keeping their doors closed all would be right - and he was totally correct.

Keeping balcony doors open despite the signs is vey inconsiderate of other passengers IMO. It might not be deliberate but it does cause problems.

For anyone who really wants that fresh air I suggest you take a pillow and a blanket on the balcony and shut the door;)

Kazu, that only applies to other people, not the ones that are doing it:D;).

As has been posted on this board countless times, by ship people who are in a position to know, over the years: When you leave your balcony door open, it cuts off the HVAC to every other cabin on the same line. The HVAC lines run up and down, so several decks---including those with outside and inside cabins---have NO HVAC when that balcony door is left open.

As has been posted on this board countless times, by ship people who are in a position to know, over the years: When you leave your balcony door open, it cuts off the HVAC to every other cabin on the same line. The HVAC lines run up and down, so several decks---including those with outside and inside cabins---have NO HVAC when that balcony door is left open.

Please re-read my post. I understand that the HVAC is cut off when the door is opened. But WHY IS THAT?

I've stayed in resort hotels in hot and humid Caribbean islands and have never been required to close the balcony doors because of some interlock feature with the HVAC.

So why is the cruise line constructing ships with the interlocking feature when, as far as anyone seems to know, it's because they want to, not because they have to?

Why is it the passenger is the discourteous one for leaving a door open rather than the cruise line for not providing the ambiance the passenger is paying for?

I seem to manage just fine in my cabin with the balcony closed when I have visitors. I don't know how to perform brain surgery but then I don't have to so it's immaterial how/why it works. I just don't understand how leaving the balcony doors open and knowing others may suffer is somehow not important. I guess that's just me.

I just don't understand how leaving the balcony doors open and knowing others may suffer is somehow not important. I guess that's just me.

It's not at all "just" you. Many of us don't understand why consideration of others doesn't matter.

Please re-read my post. I understand that the HVAC is cut off when the door is opened. But WHY IS THAT?

I've stayed in resort hotels in hot and humid Caribbean islands and have never been required to close the balcony doors because of some interlock feature with the HVAC.

So why is the cruise line constructing ships with the interlocking feature when, as far as anyone seems to know, it's because they want to, not because they have to?

Why is it the passenger is the discourteous one for leaving a door open rather than the cruise line for not providing the ambiance the passenger is paying for?

I have not seen an explanation that is not technical. And I am not an electrical or mechanical engineer so I'm not in a position to even begin to interpret the explanations I have seen. Suffice to say I believe them and accept that leaving the doors open causes trouble down the line. I'm working on the assumption that there are many other things in the world you do not understand the WHYS of as well. Just accept it messes things up for other people.

Please be considerate, even if you do not understand WHY you must. That's the civilised thing to do.

Not all ships have the interlock system. What does happen is that the airflow will go to the point of least resistance. That means an open balcony or verandah door is open to the world so that's where all the air goes. What that means to the other cabins on the system is that they get little to no flow.

I have not seen an explanation that is not technical. And I am not an electrical or mechanical engineer so I'm not in a position to even begin to interpret the explanations I have seen. Suffice to say I believe them and accept that leaving the doors open causes trouble down the line. I'm working on the assumption that there are many other things in the world you do not understand the WHYS of as well. Just accept it messes things up for other people.

Please be considerate, even if you do not understand WHY you must. That's the civilised thing to do.

Sums it up perfectly.

I only had a veranda twice; the first time I made sure to keep my draperies open at night. I asked the steward not to close them at turn down, but sometimes he forgot.

My cruise was up the coast of Norway on the Prinsendam, and over the top of Europe dropping down to Murmansk, then back again. I think we had about 7 days without sunset, and the other periods of darkness were pretty short.

I loved rolling over during the night, and rousing just enough to look out and see the gorgeous views before I went back to sleep.

On my recent Riviera cruise I also had a balcony, but I had a roommate, and she wanted the draperies closed, so, closed they were. I'm agreeable. :)

Ruth did you at least negotiate her pillow chocolate for keeping the curtains closed? Just asking?

Ruth did you at least negotiate her pillow chocolate for keeping the curtains closed? Just asking?

:D She didn't want hers, and gave them to me! :D

She didn't make the ship, and caught up with it a couple of days later. I even kept her first two night's worth of chocolates for her, but she let me have them all.

We leave them open. If it's a moonlit night, it provides additional night light in the cabin should you be moving around.

Nothing better than awakening to a sunrise over the blue seas.

Edited by Typhoon1

I've only sailed with a balcony once (as a mid-cruise compensation aboard the Rotterdam a while back) for faulty A/C / airflow for an Oceanview accomodation.

The sign by the balcony door directed occupants to pleae keep the door closed for consideration of others.

The placard did not mention that on a particular night that the sea air, the sky views or the crashing of waves would void the signage warning.

If you want the the sky & sound (while keeping the door closed for the benefit of others) bring a DVD that has continos loop feature.

Otherwise, follow the rules. If you don't care for the rules then buy yourself a ship.

Bob

On HAL ships opening the door does not cut off the HVAC for your room, it lowers the back-pressure in your room which lets the majority of the cool air for your zone escape out your door.

If you have central AC at home, on hot nights do you leave the windows or sliding glass doors in your bedroom open to hear the crickets and frogs while those in other bedrooms suffer in the heat because they're not getting cool air?

Until HAL starts sailing ships that shut off the AC when the door is open, please be a good neighbor and keep yours shut when you are not passing through it.

Edited by jtl513

I've only sailed with a balcony once (as a mid-cruise compensation aboard the Rotterdam a while back) for faulty A/C / airflow for an Oceanview accomodation.

The sign by the balcony door directed occupants to pleae keep the door closed for consideration of others.

The placard did not mention that on a particular night that the sea air, the sky views or the crashing of waves would void the signage warning.

If you want the the sky & sound (while keeping the door closed for the benefit of others) bring a DVD that has continos loop feature.

Otherwise, follow the rules. If you don't care for the rules then buy yourself a ship.

Bob

No reason to be snarky. Some people didn't know that keeping the door open would cause others to suffer. That's what this board is for...Q&A. Not snarkyness.

Kara

No reason to be snarky. Some people didn't know that keeping the door open would cause others to suffer. That's what this board is for...Q&A. Not snarkyness.

Kara

"For the consideration of others" didn't tip you off that there was a legit reason to leave the door closed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There may be some people on this thread that have never been on a cruise. I for one have been on two cruises and I did not know you were not suppose to keep your door closed.

Sometimes this board pisses me off. People can be so rude. It's like all these seasoned cruisers think the unseasoned cruisers are stupid and have to be mean in their replies. I just don't understand why people have to be so mean.

I'm not exactly "seasoned" - I've only been on 3 cruises, two that I can remember well as they were recent. We had a verandah on our DCL cruise this summer, and a sign stating that the door not be left open was enough for us to keep it closed. We didn't need to go and find a reason - and I don't even recall it saying "for consideration of others".

If there's a sign, there is a reason for it. Period.

Sometimes this board pisses me off. People can be so rude. It's like all these seasoned cruisers think the unseasoned cruisers are stupid and have to be mean in their replies. I just don't understand why people have to be so mean.

If you haven't been on a cruise, then obviously you have not left your verandah door open for any length of time. If you haven't been on a cruise, you would not know there was a sign, so you would not know you were willfully ignoring it. It's not the people who have not been on a cruise that allegedly snarky comments about leaving the doors open were directed.

I generally assume that people are nice and will do the right and decent thing, but people who persist in asking why they have to follow the rules have proven themselves to be not nice, and not inclined to do anything that will put others before them. The Aussies call that behavior whinging and I love that term! Whinging is the best way to guarantee my answers will be snarky.