Sharps containers in cabins?

seaworthy_c

Hi, do the cabin bathrooms on HAL ships (specifically Statendam) have sharps containers? Or can they be requested?

It's not needles or anything; I'm a double-edge blade shaver, and I'm just wondering how best to dispose of used blades. I sailed with HAL a couple of years ago, but the question wasn't relevant then, so I never paid attention.

Thanks in advance!

There's no sharps containers in the cabins, but they can be requested from the infirmary.

What I don't know is if they would want double edge blades in a sharps container, as I don't know what their disposal procedures are.

Why not call Seattle and ask before you head out.

How do you dispose of the blades at home? Could you use the same method if the sharps container isn't going to work out?

How do you dispose of the blades at home? Could you use the same method if the sharps container isn't going to work out?

Sure, I can bring a container and dispose of them later. I'm just thinking ahead and wondering if it's necessary. I try to travel fairly minimalist when I can. Thanks!

Hi, do the cabin bathrooms on HAL ships (specifically Statendam) have sharps containers? Or can they be requested?

It's not needles or anything; I'm a double-edge blade shaver, and I'm just wondering how best to dispose of used blades. I sailed with HAL a couple of years ago, but the question wasn't relevant then, so I never paid attention.

Thanks in advance!

I also shave with double sided blades. What blades do you use? Most ones I use like Merkur and Feather have the used blade slot in the back. Even the cheapy CVS/Walgreen brand have the used blade slot in the back.

Since all ships hand sort the trash I would not put a used blade in the trash for any reason.

In the worst case I pack out my used blades wrapped in a piece magazine cover. The card stock used for most covers is thick enough to protect myself when repacking my shaving kit.

Sharps are a biohazard. The container is sealed, placed in a red biohazard bag, and incinerated. Since razor blades potentially come in contact with body fluids (blood) it is appropriate to request a sharps container.

I had to inject myself daily while on the Golden Princess. It was 10 years ago and I was pregnant (didn't know when we booked and Princess wouldn't let us cancel because of it as I was only 12 weeks but it was a high risk pregnancy). They didn't offer a sharps container so I brought a small glass jar with us and marked the glass using masking tape and the word "sharps". The syringe part I put in the cabin garbage but the sharp when in the glass jar and I brought them home for proper disposal. The cabin steward didn't blink an eye and it was no problem.

I also shave with double sided blades. What blades do you use? Most ones I use like Merkur and Feather have the used blade slot in the back. Even the cheapy CVS/Walgreen brand have the used blade slot in the back.

My favorites these days are Voskhods and Astras. They just come in little cardboard 5-packs, no used blade slot.

On the questionnaire when you check in they will ask you if you need a sharps container. We always check that we do but that has never gotten us a sharps container. We ask the cabin steward when he makes his initial visit he brings one right away. See no reason why you couldn't use it for razor blades.

My favorites these days are Voskhods and Astras. They just come in little cardboard 5-packs, no used blade slot.

Never used Voskhods, actully never seen them. Astra worked well for me. But just the cardboard box would be the issue.

Anther thing I have used before, but forgot until now is use the tin from Altoid Mini's to store the used blades. Small, lightweight, and stays closed.

We would only need a sharps container once or twice during the cruise- are there any containers in a restroom or other location on board? I suppose we could take them to the infirmary- I know in Washington there are sharps containers in rest rooms frequently.

We would only need a sharps container once or twice during the cruise- are there any containers in a restroom or other location on board? I suppose we could take them to the infirmary- I know in Washington there are sharps containers in rest rooms frequently.

Just wrap the used blade well up in toilet paper, secure it with tape & use a marker to write "sharps" (you could even write "razor blade") and put it in the trash ... pretty simple ...

Just wrap the used blade well up in toilet paper, secure it with tape & use a marker to write "sharps" (you could even write "razor blade") and put it in the trash ... pretty simple ...

Workers could be cut when they go through that trash to separate it.

Sorry but I don't agree. It would be against OSHA for the stewards to handle, if US safety and Health regulations apply on HAL. As a minimum this puts staff down the line in danger of personal injury and not knowing where the blade came from would cause much stress about what unknown medical conditions they have exposed themselves to.

Thanks in advance!

Ask your steward to get you a sharps container. They will get one from the medical centre. Or alternatively go down to the clinic and they will be happy to supply one to you

Terry

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app