Sun Shelters

ParRoo

Anyone take their own shelter with them? What is a good one that packs small enough to go in a suitcase?

We have QUECHUA 2 Seconds Pop Up - Camping Shelter -

Available in the UK for about £20.00

Probably in the USA it could be $20.00

It doubles as a shelter from wind, sand and rain. Takes two adults at a squeeze.

Take out of it's own bag, release and it pops open. To close twist and push together and put back in the case. Weighs about 3 pounds

Since we have to fly, I wouldn't pack anything like that -- weight allowances on planes.

We do manage to find enough shade on the ships - so it is not a problem.

Sorry, this was for beaches, some of which are remote, and for time to time wind blowing up the sand. With regard to weight, two cases at 23 kilos each is more than enough to cause any weight problems. Only occasionally do we have to take a third suitcase, with the cost not being restrictive.

You won't be allowed to use it on the ship. But, for beaches, if weight isn't an issue, sure you can bring it! If you are flying, then you can easily rent an umbrella on almost every beach! And, in the Caribbean, most beaches are lined with trees that can provide shade.

I saw a nice sun shield set up at Academy Sports over the weekend. It was big enough for 3-4 people to sit comfortably and cost $40. Red only. If I didn't already have one, I would've bought it.

As for size, it folds up to about the size of two full-sized umbrellas /perhaps 1/2 the size of a camp chair, and it fits into an over-the-shoulder bag. It won't put flying cruisers over their weight limit.

if you don't like sun and sand maybe going to the beach ain't your cup of tea?

Oh my. :eek: I hope you are being sarcastic and that wasn't just an ignorant comment?

To the OP:

There was a thread about sun shades here a week or so ago.

I don't bring one myself, but several people had small ones that they even put in their airline luggage.

Good luck

Oh my. :eek: I hope you are being sarcastic and that wasn't just an ignorant comment?

To the OP:

There was a thread about sun shades here a week or so ago.

I don't bring one myself, but several people had small ones that they even put in their airline luggage.

Good luck

seriously why would you go to the beach and sit inside a shell so you didn't get any sun or sand? which means you probably aren't going to venture into the water. what's the point? you can sit on the ship and watch the water and drink in the shade and not haul a tent.

seriously why would you go to the beach and sit inside a shell so you didn't get any sun or sand? which means you probably aren't going to venture into the water. what's the point? you can sit on the ship and watch the water and drink in the shade and not haul a tent.

Some people are very fair and susceptible to sunburn, but they still enjoy time at the beach or time spent on the water. A portable shade is a quick easy form of protection from the sun's dangerous rays. Why shouldn't these folks have fun in the (shaded) sun too?

:)

Some people are very fair and susceptible to sunburn, but they still enjoy time at the beach or time spent on the water. A portable shade is a quick easy form of protection from the sun's dangerous rays. Why shouldn't these folks have fun in the (shaded) sun too?

:)

fun inside one of these things.. these shelters must be much larger than I imagined. seems a lightweight long-sleeved spf shirt (see columbia) and a floppy hat would be much less to haul but it ain't me hauling it so have fun.

fun inside one of these things.. these shelters must be much larger than I imagined. seems a lightweight long-sleeved spf shirt (see columbia) and a floppy hat would be much less to haul but it ain't me hauling it so have fun.

Okay

Just a small point

When visiting, let us say a beach in Aruba for a snorkel then when the wind picks up and throws pounds of sand in your direction, you are able to keep clothing grit free, change, eat and take in the view without having your own personal sandstorm annoy one.

Those who know Aruba, it is the beach by the bus pickup, where the ship charges $$$$ for the snorkel trip and the local bus fare is a couple of bucks. Yes it is where a certain ship ended it's life, that did not respond to the Titanic's distress call.

I bought the Coleman Road Trip Beach Shade for my beach trips here locally in Florida. It's super small, can be a bit confusing at first on putting it together but its great, has big windows to keep the breeze and can be completely closed in if you need to change. It's 45 and free shipping on Amazon.

Okay

Just a small point

When visiting, let us say a beach in Aruba for a snorkel then when the wind picks up and throws pounds of sand in your direction, you are able to keep clothing grit free, change, eat and take in the view without having your own personal sandstorm annoy one.

Those who know Aruba, it is the beach by the bus pickup, where the ship charges $$$$ for the snorkel trip and the local bus fare is a couple of bucks. Yes it is where a certain ship ended it's life, that did not respond to the Titanic's distress call.

how you figure they are going to snorkel without going out in the sun? those thing certainly won't keep blowing sand out and if you're talking small enough to haul along you ain't going to be standing up in one.

but again.. ain't me hauling it so go for it.

if you don't like sun and sand maybe going to the beach ain't your cup of tea?
Reasons you might want to take a sun shelter to the beach:

- We'll start with the most common reason: You love the beach, but you're fair skinned. You enjoy sitting in the shade and looking at the water or enjoying your book, but you can't always count on finding shade.

- Or maybe you're not fair skinned, but you still know you can't do a full day at the beach without some sun protection. A sun shelter allows you to stay all day long, whereas you'd only be able to stay a couple hours without some shade.

- Or perhaps you want to avoid the worst, mid-day sun rays.

- Your spouse loves the beach and can stay in the sun all day long, but you cannot. With a small sun shelter, you can position yourselves side by side, yet you can stay in the shade.

- You have small children whose skin can't take the sun, or whom you want to place in the shade for a nap. Or make it an elderly parent whose skin can't take the sun; the nap might still apply.

- You love the beach, but you are concerned about the potentially dangerous ingredients in sunscreen and prefer to use it minimally.

- You have older children whom you allow to roam a bit, but you want them to be able to find you easily on the beach -- a sun shelter is easier to find than mom and dad's towels.

- You want a spot to "corral" the kids' beach toys, especially blow-up items like balls or floats, which can so easily be carried away by the wind.

- You want to keep your cooler of beer in the shade.

- You've brought sandwiches to the beach, but you don't like eating while sand blows into your food.

A sun shelter is a nice thing to have, and they cost less than a typical one-day rental. They're not heavy to carry or difficult to set up.

Reasons you might want to take a sun shelter to the beach:

- We'll start with the most common reason: You love the beach, but you're fair skinned. You enjoy sitting in the shade and looking at the water or enjoying your book, but you can't always count on finding shade.

- Or maybe you're not fair skinned, but you still know you can't do a full day at the beach without some sun protection. A sun shelter allows you to stay all day long, whereas you'd only be able to stay a couple hours without some shade.

- Or perhaps you want to avoid the worst, mid-day sun rays.

- Your spouse loves the beach and can stay in the sun all day long, but you cannot. With a small sun shelter, you can position yourselves side by side, yet you can stay in the shade.

- You have small children whose skin can't take the sun, or whom you want to place in the shade for a nap. Or make it an elderly parent whose skin can't take the sun; the nap might still apply.

- You love the beach, but you are concerned about the potentially dangerous ingredients in sunscreen and prefer to use it minimally.

- You have older children whom you allow to roam a bit, but you want them to be able to find you easily on the beach -- a sun shelter is easier to find than mom and dad's towels.

- You want a spot to "corral" the kids' beach toys, especially blow-up items like balls or floats, which can so easily be carried away by the wind.

- You want to keep your cooler of beer in the shade.

- You've brought sandwiches to the beach, but you don't like eating while sand blows into your food.

A sun shelter is a nice thing to have, and they cost less than a typical one-day rental. They're not heavy to carry or difficult to set up.

...and the number 1 reason to have shade at the beach...

premature aging and skin Cancer aren't all that cool. :cool:

I think you're lacking imagination, Sherlock. All you can envisage is going to the beach and either sitting in a shelter the whole time, or sitting in full sunshine all the time. But there are people who want to sit in the sun some of the time, and the shade some of the time as well. Obviously you wouldn't, but remember that not everyone is like you.