Best Remedy for Seasickness

atfreud17

My girlfriend and I are sailing on the independence next week and she has never been on a cruise. I have pretty good sea legs but she does get motion sickness from time to time. What is the best medicine to cope with seasickness. Least amount of drowsiness and also what you can have alcoholic beverages with. Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would recommend that she see her doctor and get a prescription for Transderm Scop patch. I can still feel the motion occasionally - but in my body - NOT my stomach:eek:.

It does state no drinking, but I have drank on every cruise - up to 4-6 in a night and have been fine - but of course check with your doctor.

The patch goes behind your ear. Biggest thing is to be sure to wash your hands THOROUGHLY after you put it on. If you should touch your eyes and get the product in it, it will cause blurred vision for several days from what I hear. I've and my DH have been careful we we've been just fine on all our cruises.

Things that help-

Ginger Ale

Ginger Gum

Green Apples

SeaBand (pressure point type bracelet)

Dramamine / Bonine

Sometimes bland food (Cheerios, toast, Saltine crackers) and walking/fresh air will actually help to a degree.

The key, if one is prone to motion sickness,is to prevent it in the first place. Trying to treat it, once it takes hold, is much more difficult.

Bonine has been the medication of choice for a large number of experienced cruisers. It is also sold as nondrowsy Dramamine, or as the generic Meclizine. It is recommended to begin taking it the night before the cruise and then every night for the length of the cruise. Taking it at night can mitigate any drowsiness caused by the drug. You can drink alcohol while taking it.

Dramamine can do the same job, but drowsiness is a much greater problem

The scopolomine patch is preferred by some because it only has to be reapplied every 3days. But it is expensive, requires a prescription and carries a risk of side effects that include dry mouth, blurred vision, and confusion. Alcohol is not recommended, but many users do drink alcohol while wearing it.

Non pharmaeutical measures include sea bands and ginger (in candied, crystallized or capsule form), and assorted essential oils that are daubed on the skin.

Treatment for nausea once it sets in can include eating small amounts of ginger, drinking ginger ale, eating green apples or dry toast, or crackers. The medical office can supply stronger medications (for a fee), that will stop the nausea but will also knock you out for several hours.

There are other options that I'm sure some of the other cruise veterans will add.

As someone who has suffered from motion sickness since I was a small child, I can say that I don't believe the "it's harder to treat once you get sick" theory, I have never had an issue with the symptoms disappearing with treatment, even if I wait until they are bad.

First of all I don't have much trouble on huge ships, but sometimes with certain conditions I will start to get sick. I always try to go without anything if I can, I think mind over matter is real, and if I don't think of it I find I don't generally have issues. But, if I start to have symptoms I will take Bonine. It seems to have the fewest bad side effects and it works fast. I prefer to take it at night because it does make me a little sleepy, so I sleep well and wake up without the motion sickness. :) Usually, if I start having problems and need the Bonine, I continue to take it before bed every night.

The suggestion to get the scopolomine patch is a good one, just in case she is hit that hard. But, be aware that there are many side effects of the patch and scopolomine (Google it and take a look), and I would suggest she only use it if she is having serious problems.

Hopefully she is like me....I am very sensitive, 5 minutes in the backseat of a moving car or 5 minutes on a small fast moving, bouncy boat and I am so sick I can't think of anything else....BUT all I get on huge ships is a little bit of a headache and super sleepy, maybe a little nausea...not so bad, and sometimes nothing at all. Good luck!!

My mom and I both suffer from vertigo and from really bad motion sickness. We both feel off a couple of minutes after stepping onboard, even on a huge ship like the Allure. My husband joins us in the motion sickness department once the ship starts rolling.

Our weapon of choice are the sea bands. They're amazing and we recommend them to everyone. They really work!!! A real life changer for me, since I love sailing on boats but avoided it because I just felt so lousy. With the sea bands I'm unfazed!! It's really amazing. And since it's not medicine, worst thing that can happen is that it won't help :) but it definitely can't hurt and has no side effects.

As for Bonine, I've gotten flamed for this in the past, but just letting you know that like any medicine it affects people differently and my husband and I both were extremely drowsy and knocked out after taking it even though it's supposed to be non drowsy. That's how we discovered the sea bands, because there was no way we were taking the Bonine again.

Ginger ale helps too :)

Edited by alaskawdw12

Please discuss treatment for motion sickness with your PCP. The scopolomine patch has a LOT of unpleasant side effects, and there are other options that are much easier to tolerate, such as OTC drugs like Bonine (generic Meclizine) or Dramamine.

Everyone's anti-seasickness plan needs to be personalized. It took me several cruises to figure out what works for me. There is no one size fits all.

I get motion sickness pretty quickly as I've "aged". Not fun. I have used Dramamine, Bonine & the patch. All of which made me drowsy.

The solution for me is Ginger. In the past, I've gotten mine at GNC (encapsulated). No known side effects & it helps with regularity. I do start 2-3 days prior to boarding. I drink alcohol with no side effects. My sleep pattern is normal.

For more information, google Mythbusters Ginger Motion Sickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One helpful hint for seasickness. If you start to feel queezy and it is light outside stare at the horizon. It helps stabilize the effect on your vertigo. Also chew saltines or chunks of ice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I get seasick pretty much always on a small boat (waves or no waves), but I've had relatively little trouble on a cruise ship. Unless it's really rocking, I'm usually fine. That said, please remember that different things work for different people. I've tried everything: the patch, bonine, dramomine, ginger, sea bands. The only thing I will take now is dramomine. The patch worked just fine for me, but my vision was so blurry after a couple days that I couldn't even read the menus, which wasn't a whole lot of fun! Bonine, ginger and sea bands do absolutely nothing for me. Most people say Bonine is the way to go, but for me, it doesn't do a thing. Go prepared with several options if you're concerned.

Start with the least troublesome and work your way up.. I have gotten motion sick since a child.. and I am now in my 60's. I get candied ginger from Penzy's - found it the best tasting by far, and buy a bottle of ginger pills, take along some non drowsy Bonine just in case. I will take a ginger pill for the first morning or two, chew a few pieces of the ginger as needed and do very well. My sister in law was having issues on our last cruise together and this also worked a charm for here. She takes many meds for different health issues and is was nice to not add another med to complicate her situation. Fresh air helps as well. Hope it goes well. I do think that many people with seasickness issues on smaller boats - like fishing boats etc don't have any problems on the large cruise ships as the stabilizers and size help so much. Try and pick a cabin a bit lower down and midship as well..less motion.

Things that help-

Ginger Ale

Ginger Gum

Green Apples

SeaBand (pressure point type bracelet)

Dramamine / Bonine

Sometimes bland food (Cheerios, toast, Saltine crackers) and walking/fresh air will actually help to a degree.

Since you mentioned Ginger in the top two, When the mythbuster show did their special on this ginger was found to work better than any other remedy including prescription. We get Ginger tablets from GNC and start taking them 2 days before a cruise. We have been great since learning this. We had some minor discomfort on our first cruise and none on the cruise since.

I also had terrible car sickness as a child and then seasickness as an adult. About 15 years ago on the 1st night of the cruise a waiter told me to eat. I said I'm so nauseous that it does not sound like a good idea to me. He said eat something greasy like a cheeseburger and you will feel better. He was right.

I had a cheeseburger and fries and have not taken a Bonine or gotten sick since then. I've shared this remedy with other passengers over the years and they have been resistant but tell me a few days later that it worked.

Like others have said, go out on the deck and get some fresh air. Never go back to your cabin and lie down. That's the worst thing you can do.

Yes, this might not work for everyone. I just wanted to share.

Alan

My husband take 1 bonine a day and have zero side effects. We have found this most helpful even when off the ship as we are often on excursions that might involve a boat or being on windy roads and it has covered us in those situations as well.

Agree with always go for the fresh air and not your cabin recommendation as well.

I am sure you will find one or more of these many ideas posted here will help you.

Enjoy.

Our first cruise or two I got the patch from the Dr well I suffer with mild motion sickness and dizziness. One night the captain was calling for rough seas like 10 ft waves! So figured I better be safe and put a patch on well big mistake for me we were watching an evening show I got such a bad headache and feeling so bad that I went to the room, as I was laying there I wondered if I was feeling so bad because I put the patch on took it off and was fine the next day!

My wife got motion sickness on one cruise, even though we'd been on 30+ previous cruises with no problems. She bought one of the pressure point bands. We both ackknowledged that if it works at all, it's totally a mental solution, not a scientific one. But despite our open skepticism, here's the thing .. it worked.

I get motion sick in the car, travel, etc, but LOVE to cruise. Have found the perfect solution for me is one Bonine in the morning and a capsule of Ginger Root. Has worked like a charm! Bonine is a preventative, to be taken prior to getting sick, but have found ginger to work before and during any motion sickness. Also, if you start to get nauseous from motion sickness, get something in your stomach, even if you may not feel like it. And I dislike green apples, but they also help an upset stomach from motion. I've never felt any drowsiness from Bonine, but did with the patch. Good luck!

Hi Cruiser

My doctor who is also a good friend, told me to try Ginger Root :rolleyes:, sliced or tablets. I was doing a level I and 2 White Water canoe program at the time. I get sea sick .If you do this take I piece or tablet each day about 2 or 3 days before you leave. Make sure you take some with you on vacation to take as need. I did this and don't get seasick anymore. That was 8 cruise ago and continue canoeing. That's all I take . Hope this helps.

P.S The slices may not taste great , no taste with the tablet. This certainly beats the needle saves $$.:D.

jewel seas next -261 days

kruise runner:cool:

Edited by kruise runner

It should be noted that there are two types of Dramamine available - regular and Less Drowsy. Regular Dramamine is effective but can knock you out. The Less Drowsy formula is basically the same as Bonine and may or may not make you drowsy.