Live From the Royal Princess 3/2-3/9

NeurosurgeryNP

Cosmo

Chocolate

Milky Way...yum :)

Pomegranate

Strawberry

Nothing like a great martini! :D

You forgot the Tiramisu Martini that you can only get at Vines.

Have Romeo make it - you'll get a performance and he always makes them just a little too big for one glass. ;)

How did the all inclusive alcohol package work out for you? We are thinking about for our upcoming cruise. Think it will be cheaper for us in the long run but want to be sure that it's easy to use.

You forgot the Tiramisu Martini that you can only get at Vines.

Have Romeo make it - you'll get a performance and he always makes them just a little too big for one glass. ;)

;) I have saved you to my onboard "to do list."

I would love to know what kind of music to expect in the atrium area and do they have a magician performing ? I'm like a small child when it comes to magicians, wide eyed and on the edge of my seat (LOL).

For us they had the Rick Kilburn Quartet - they were very enjoyable to us. They had a party band Good Times Inc - very varied genres - jazz, from hits to 80 and 90's and today. Didn't hear any acapella. The Caribbean Band was Caribbean Band Steele - no steel drums like the name may imply and they were OK too.

I also love accapella singing, like Pentatonics and Delilah. Do they have anything like that?

Who are the comedians on board this month ? If you've seen them, how were they?

Miguel Washington was on board the mid - later part of the week for us - but don't think he is a resident comedian.

Thank you so much for posting live. I don't sail until March 30th so if you want you can wait until you're back to answer my questions. I'll be glued to my monitor waiting for your review anyway!!

They also had 5-10 min performances by an acrobat - who was very good and the dancers singers.

Wondering about checking wine with carry on baggage and how well it was handled in security, if you noticed. Have a great cruise and we look forward to hearing more from the Royal!

Cheers!

Ken

We did not bring wine - so we didn't see this. We did however bring on a mixed six pack of craft beer - we had left over from our hotel stay pre-cruise - we were sure they security was going to take it, but they didn't even seem interested. Maybe because we didn't have wine.

Hi while your on the cruise can you find out for me if someone has a medical condition do they still have to uy the drink package also

I was unable to ascertain this. The packages were brand new on the Royal and the bartenders were unaware. I was unable to get a change to speak to a supervisor.

Looking forward to more of your review. We will be sailing on Royal this coming Nov. for our 35th. anniversary, doing the 10 day sailing. Can't wait. Will you beable to post any pics? :)

I have not uploaded any yet - but here is a Flikr link to someone who did a great photo review.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/sets/72157638843840634/page4/

It has been posted on CC Gelato & Crepes are included in the all inclusive alcohol package, can you confirm?

Thanks and sorry to hear it was cool and windy on your first Sea Day!

We did not go into Gelatos so I can't confirm. It was a beverage package sold to us, so I would think not, but can't confirm wither way.

NeurosurgeryNP - hope you're having a wonderful day in St. Thomas!

Wondered if you happened to see a dart board anywhere on board?

:D

I did not - my guess is they don't want the liability - have never seen a dart board on any cruise we've taken.

Re: alcohol pkg. If I did my math correctly, on our upcoming 17 night cruise, the pkg. for the two of us would be close to $2000.00. WOW!

Just can't justify it. We like wine, occ. cocktails, occ. specialty coffees, etc.

Knowing me, I'd want to get my money's worth and would likely drink a lot more than I should, never mind the added on calories of all those beverages.

To each his own, I guess. I wish there was a smaller package to purchase. We will look at the wine pkgs but, not sure that will work for us either. Can someone please post or repost the Royal's current wine pkgs ?

We did meet several couples who by the second or third day had regretted not buying the package. Their bar bills were far over what it would have cost them to do the package.

We did not drink a lot just to drink a lot. I am sure we got our monies worth however. I did get to try new things I would have never tried without the package.

St. Thomas was on Wednesday. Sea day prior. Pretty mellow for us. Not too much to report from our sea day. We were on deck around 8 am to get some loungers. Stayed on deck for a few hours. Wind was crazy at 20 knots in the lower decks and 4o knots. So we left the open decks at about noon and had lunch again at Alfredo's which was of course incredible.

We were docked at the WICO dock in St.Thomas. We went diving. Met up with a friend and had a nice shallow refresher dive. The day was beautiful. Went to lunch by the Crown Bay pier on the water at Tickles. Great burgers and wonderful views. Returned to Havensight and walked around and did some shopping until we returned to the ship. Dinner was Italian Night and was very good. I had the pot roast. We went to the Ye Old Pub night and it was funny and entertaining. Then Michael Katz an illusionist and it was pretty good.

St. Maarten was yesterday. Beautiful weather. We booked Bernards Tours (who we used in the past for a private island your) and went to Maho Beach and watched the airplanes all day. It was pretty amazing. After the beach our driver dropped us off in Phillipsburg where we walked around for a bit. After an hour or so we returned to the ship and watched the sailaway. There was a horn battle between Celebrity Solstice when they were pulling off the pier and our love boat horn. Pretty funny. You could hear the passengers on the Solstice cheering.

Dinner for us was the Ultimate Balcony Dining and I can't recommend this highly enough. Four course meal, cocktail each included and half bottle champagne. We had the alcohol package and the assistant waiter even went down for us and got us another cocktail each. Food was amazing. Canapes, huge salad with cream cheese, candied walnuts, field greens and home made balsamic dressing. Main meal was surf and turf. Amazing filet and sweet lobster tail. Dessert was a sampling of four mousses on a dark chocalate presentation. Can not say enough. Waiter and assistant waiter were amazing. After dinner we went to the comedian show Miguel Washington and he was very funny. Then we went to the deck party and found out dinner table mates (which we clicked with the first night. We always seem to get amazing table people). Hung there until midnight or so. Great time. Then headed to the club for a bit.

Today Thursday, is a sea day. Georgous up on deck. Chair hogs were in full force this morning. Deck attendants didn't seem to be enforcing today. We wound up on the sun deck. And it is beautiful up here. Some women shouldn't be wearing bikinis. Just sayin.

Will look completely through questions when we gat back to FLL and answer what I can.

Yes, still happy with the alcohol package. Any wine under $10 per glass is covered. I am not a big wine Fri Ker but have been able to sample more with the package.

It was the Celebrity Silhouette and it was fun to be docked next to you in St Marten!

We shared the same ship! Our first trip with Princess and couldn't have asked for more! Wish we were aware of the all-inclusive drink package. Would have been perfect for us. Agree with each point you made that we experienced. The crew was remarkable and each of them couldn't do enough to make us feel special. We did the "anytime dining" and it worked very well. We sailed with 2 other couples and only one night did we have to wait, and that was for less than 20 minutes! The food at every meal, whether at the buffet or in one of the regular dining rooms, was terrific and the choices were unexpectedly broad. Twice we made reservations for the specialty dining experiences - one night in Sabatini's and the other in the Crown Grill. Both nights our party was treated like royalty. The food was better than most I have had in any restaurant, and the service was spectacular. The steaks at the Crown Grill - we all had a different cut - were all cooked perfectly and each course was better than the last. Our server Anna Marie from Rumania was not only incredible in her skills but her personality added so much to our most enjoyable experience. She even declined an extra gratuity, explaining to us that "it was my pleasure to serve you!" Remarkable!!!!!

We were also on the same sailing and have to agree with both NeurosurgeryNP and Penguin1 about the ship and staff. Everywhere we went, the crew was beyond incredible! My father was sailing with us and he is in a wheelchair and I cannot say how helpful the staff was at all times. Not only where they helpful, but compassionate, kind and patient! So impressive.

We were with a group of 8 family/friends and although we did not eat in the dining room some of our friends did and said it was very good. We ate at the Horizon Buffet, Crown Grill and Allegros and can only say great things about each one. The International Café was outstanding as always!!

We traded our mini-bar for 2 specialty coffee cards and they worked out great - and we had many gelato treats - yum!!!

We did not do any ship's tours but went to Water Island on St. Thomas and relaxed at Honeymoon Beach - gorgeous. On St. Martin we spent the day with Captain Bob and it was a perfect day! he had 3 boats going out that day and our captain was Matt - very entertaining, energetic and fun.

The shows we went to were great - loved the comedian and the new Vista Lounge. Very easy to see no matter where you sit.

All in all, we loved the Royal Princess and would sail her again in a heartbeat! We had a balcony cabin - Emerald 715. Our parents had one of the angled balconies on Emerald - 410 and our friends had Emerald 409. Neither of them had problems with people "watching" from the sky walk - really does not seem to be an issue.

Wish we were back on the Royal!!!

Can you tell me just how crowded was the main pool area was? Did you find it very noisy with the MUTS? Did you try out the adults only pool? I understand that it is very windy. Thanks for any more information you can give me.

:p My girlfriend likes the yucky olives ones. They are called dirty martinis. She likes them "extra dirty", which is MORE olive juice. I think they taste terrible! I will take a foo foo anytime. :)

In bars where the staff reach into the bottle/container with bare hands those extra dirty martinis are very dirty.

I have not uploaded any yet - but here is a Flikr link to someone who did a great photo review.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/sets/72157638843840634/page4/

Been lurking on your excellent review. THANK YOU for the compliment and linking some of my pictures. Very much appreciated. :D

If anyone else wants to see all of the pics I took on Royal Princess there's a link in my signature. ;)

We shared the same ship! Our first trip with Princess and couldn't have asked for more! Wish we were aware of the all-inclusive drink package. Would have been perfect for us. Agree with each point you made that we experienced. The crew was remarkable and each of them couldn't do enough to make us feel special. We did the "anytime dining" and it worked very well. We sailed with 2 other couples and only one night did we have to wait, and that was for less than 20 minutes! The food at every meal, whether at the buffet or in one of the regular dining rooms, was terrific and the choices were unexpectedly broad. Twice we made reservations for the specialty dining experiences - one night in Sabatini's and the other in the Crown Grill. Both nights our party was treated like royalty. The food was better than most I have had in any restaurant, and the service was spectacular. The steaks at the Crown Grill - we all had a different cut - were all cooked perfectly and each course was better than the last. Our server Anna Marie from Rumania was not only incredible in her skills but her personality added so much to our most enjoyable experience. She even declined an extra gratuity, explaining to us that "it was my pleasure to serve you!" Remarkable!!!!!

We were also on the same sailing and have to agree with both NeurosurgeryNP and Penguin1 about the ship and staff. Everywhere we went, the crew was beyond incredible! My father was sailing with us and he is in a wheelchair and I cannot say how helpful the staff was at all times. Not only where they helpful, but compassionate, kind and patient! So impressive.

We were with a group of 8 family/friends and although we did not eat in the dining room some of our friends did and said it was very good. We ate at the Horizon Buffet, Crown Grill and Allegros and can only say great things about each one. The International Café was outstanding as always!!

We traded our mini-bar for 2 specialty coffee cards and they worked out great - and we had many gelato treats - yum!!!

We did not do any ship's tours but went to Water Island on St. Thomas and relaxed at Honeymoon Beach - gorgeous. On St. Martin we spent the day with Captain Bob and it was a perfect day! he had 3 boats going out that day and our captain was Matt - very entertaining, energetic and fun.

The shows we went to were great - loved the comedian and the new Vista Lounge. Very easy to see no matter where you sit.

All in all, we loved the Royal Princess and would sail her again in a heartbeat! We had a balcony cabin - Emerald 715. Our parents had one of the angled balconies on Emerald - 410 and our friends had Emerald 409. Neither of them had problems with people "watching" from the sky walk - really does not seem to be an issue.

Wish we were back on the Royal!!!

Thanks to both posters for your reports on your Royal experience.:) 17 days and counting :D

Can you tell me just how crowded was the mainpool area Did you find it very noisy with the MUTS? Did you try out the adults only pool? I understand that it is very windy. Thanks for any information you can give me.

It was somewhat crowded. we did have to get up to deck early on sea days to get prime locatiom for loungers. There were definitely chair hogs. They were removing towels from the chairs, but if you had another object like a bag or book, they didn't seem to be remkoving those. In fact, DH and I went to lunch and sat at the pool bar for a brief period and the towel was removed from his chair and we lost his lounger. Mine had a bag on it so it wasn't touched. Never had an issue with getting in the pools. We did not go to the adults retreat pool at all. We like the busy areas and the people watching is fantastic. The MUTS pool tended to be loud but not obnoxious for us.

Overall just a fantastic cruise! Can't say enough about the service and crew.

Edited by NeurosurgeryNP