Live From the Royal Princess 3/2-3/9

NeurosurgeryNP

Forgive the typing. Writing this on my phone and then pasting here when I go online.

Boarded the Royal yesterday. This is our seventh Princess cruise. We flew into FLL Friday and spent the first night in Key Largo and Saturday night in Fort Lauderdale. Returned the rental car and jumped on the free shuttle to the port. Arrived at the port approximately 10:00 am. We had preferred boarding so we were checked in and waiting in the terminal by about 10:35 ish. Check in was painless. Terminal staff were friendly and efficient. Embarkatkon began at 12:02 and we were in our rooms by about 12:15.

We promptly reserved our Ultimate Balcony Dining as this is a highlight for the cruise for us.

We then went to the International Cafe Bar and inquired about the all inclusive alcohol package we heard rumored to start this sailing. It was offered. $49 per person per day plus gratuity, and all over 21 in cabin much purchase. Includes every beverage under $10 which is most anything on the ship. A few wines and a few sparkling wines at Bellinis are over this as are a some of the single malt whiskeys. DH and I signed up and then off we went exploring the ship. First stop as always, was the pool bar to get our first drink of the cruise which is always a three berry dacquiri. Between iced coffee, several drinks through the day and evening, wine with dinner, bottled water and an energy drink or two, we did feel we got out money's worth the first day.

First impression of the ship was "wow.". It is beautiful. The Piazza is stunning. The music there carried throughout the entire atrium. Pool deck is nice. Seems like too few pools given the amount of people on board especially since they don't have the aft pool. We toured the Sanctuary, no interest in reserving a lounger there, but did want to see it. We had a quick bite to eat in the HC. The Horizon Court is much larger than on ther previous ships we have sailed and seems to be laid out more logical. The Pastry Shop had some scrumptious treats for dessert.

We then walked around the upper decks picture taking and watching the other cruise ships in port.

First time ever for us we had the late seating for dinner. We met our table mates and were relieved. We chatted the entire dinner. Our wait staff Alvin and Jay are from the Philippines, and were outstanding. DH has a gluten allergy and this was handled very well as with all of our Princess cruises. Dinner for me was the crawfish Etoufee and it was amazing. Just amazing. DH had the prime rib.

Activities for the night included trivia, karaoke, and they had an Oscars viewing party in the Vista Lounge (Club Fusion on the other ships we have been on), and the Oscars were on the MUTS screen and in Club 6 and Chirchills as well.

We had a busy two days prior in Florida so for the first time ever on a cruise we went to bed before midnight.

Overall an amazing first day. Weather was perfect. Crew was friendly and fabulous.

Thanks for taking the time to do a live from. Read your post yesterday about the drink packages and am sure many people happy, including lots from my roll call. We sail 4 weeks after you get back so will enjoy reading your posts as we gear up for the festivities. Wondering about checking wine with carry on baggage and how well it was handled in security, if you noticed. Have a great cruise and we look forward to hearing more from the Royal!

Cheers!

Ken

Thanks for doing the live from thread. We will be doing b2b beginning 3/23 and I will be eagerly awaiting your posts. I would be very interesting in hearing about the entertainment except the production shows as I am already aware of them. If you can take photos of the patters and post them I would be even more appreciative. Post cruise works, since I know internet time is precious.

Edited by yoyosma

Thanks for doing a "live" from. Will anxiously be waiting each one! We set sail on the Royal on 3/30 and are just too excited for words for it to finally get here!! The suitcases will be coming out this weekend to start the beginning of packing!

Thanks for doing the live from thread. We will be doing b2b beginning 3/23 and I will be eagerly awaiting your posts. I would be very interesting in hearing about the entertainment except the production shows as I am already aware of them. If you can take photos of the patters and post them I would be even more appreciative. Post cruise works, since I know internet time is precious.

We'll be on her next month and would also, love to see the patters! The most resent ones I've been able to find were the first of Dec 2013, so yours would be a great help! :o Have a great time! :D

We'll be sailing next month too! Would love to know the price of the martinis ...foo foo ones not yucky olive ones;)

:p My girlfriend likes the yucky olives ones. They are called dirty martinis. She likes them "extra dirty", which is MORE olive juice. I think they taste terrible! I will take a foo foo anytime. :)

Edited by janetz

Hi while your on the cruise can you find out for me if someone has a medical condition do they still have to uy the drink package also

The drink package includes all beverages that cost under $10. This includes everything from bottled water to milkshakes to cocktails without alcohol.

I suspect unless someone cannot consume any liquid at all that Princess sells, he/she will have to purchase the package if their cabinmate wants the package.

From what I can tel all of the Martinis are under $10 and tun from $7.95-8.95 from what I rememberDay 2

Today was Princess Cays. What a beautiful day! Weather was perfect. We went to HC to grab some breakfast. Went to the dinning room to get our tender tickets and was in the first group. Landed on the island about 9:20 am and then headed to get our clamshell loungers. In the morning it was a bit cloudy, but by the afternoon the sun was intense. We did a morning banana boat ride. It was fun. Headed back to the ship about 1 pm, the earliest we've ever been of the island. Headed to the pool deck and lots of loungers were free. We wound up on the fountain deck. It seems that the deck attendants are removing towels of the chair hogs. It continued to be a beautiful day with intense sun. We had several drinks on the island as well as when we returned - as well as bottles of water and soda. The cans of soda are covered with the package at PC. The all inclusive package is working out well for us. We hit Alfredo's for an afternoon snack and DH had a gluten free pizza (that we requested yesterday - they are happy to oblige there and for Prego pizzaria when ordered the day before) and I had a ham calzone which was amazing.

After being sun drenched for the day we headed back to the room around 4:45 PM and showered. I have to say, the showers are the biggest I've been in at sea with the exception of the mini suite bath tubs we've had. There was a ledge for shaving and storing shampoo etc. And I didn't get loved by the shower curtain. ;) Then we explored areas of the ship we didn't see yesterday. It has become very apparent tonight what areas we missed with the sunscreen with those telltale lines or spots. ;). Speaking to a bartender tonight on deck, people who had bought the all inclusive package obviously didn't read the limitations (on the initial receipt was a printed list of what was included and what the price limitation was) of $10 as they complained and took his name after he wouldn't serve the passenger a "double" which was clearly over $10. Seriously, come back in five minutes or go to a different bar and get another drink. Why yell at the bartender for something out of his control that was clearly explained prior to purchase? I have to say,we are not complainers. We don't look for the bad to complain. We go with the flow. I do really miss the port and starboard different colored carpets. That's my main compaint at this point. ;) That and the well known fact of no center stairwell. We can't change that, so we move on.

Dinner was again awesome. Warm crab and artichoke dip with baguette slices. Filet and the most tender and sweet shrimp I've ever had. I skipped dessert as I was very full. We went to the Rock and Roll party for a bit. Music was excellent. Strolled around the pool deck for a bit, watched the fountain show, then another kind if early night for us. Sun will do that to you.

I will attempt to find out about the alcohol package and medical condition. From what I understand if there are under 21 in the cabin, they have to purchase the soda and more package and I wonder of that would apply.