Under 21 allowed in bar?

We are traveling with our two kids on FOS. One child is over 21 and the other child is under 21. Is the under 21 allowed in the bars with us? If so, am I allowed to buy a drink and give it to her (she's 20, almost 21) as I am allowed to do in our home state?

Yes, they are allowed. No, they do not allow you to give them alcohol.

At some limited events, like Club 20 (nightclub event in Solarium), they do restrict entry to 21 and over.

Edited by Aquahound

We are traveling with our two kids on FOS. One child is over 21 and the other child is under 21. Is the under 21 allowed in the bars with us? If so, am I allowed to buy a drink and give it to her (she's 20, almost 21) as I am allowed to do in our home state?

Guests under 21 can be in bars and lounges.

Here are the rules on drinking age:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5380

If so, am I allowed to buy a drink and give it to her (she's 20, almost 21) as I am allowed to do in our home state?

I wouldnt even try to sneak. RCI takes this policy VERY seriously and if caught, you may find yourself disembarking the ship at the first port! :eek:

It is in Colorado:

Possession is prohibited WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION(S):

private location

AND parent/guardian

Notes:

POSSESSION: Colorado's exception requires the knowledge and consent of the owner of the private property when minors possess alcohol (in addition to the consent and presence of a parent or guardian).

But we are a permissive state!

Per a google search 29 states have a similar law.

To the OP, you'll find that many "bars" on cruise ships are ill-defined in that they are often smack in the middle of a major thoroughfare and are often not really a discrete area with a door etc. So they can't really prohibit people from entering those, although they could from the more defined venues (but they don't.)

Edit:Sorry Rayno we posted at the same time.

Edited by DrD

You're right Ryano. My state is one of the many.

Thanks for all the quick replies. My daughter isn't a big drinker but I thought maybe I could slip her one once in awhile.

From Royal's web site:

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.

I wouldnt even try to sneak. RCI takes this policy VERY seriously and if caught, you may find yourself disembarking the ship at the first port! :eek:

I have seen this happen. What a way to ruin a vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

While I understand their policy I think it's ridiculous that they would be so strict when parents say it's ok. It's ironic that the rules are more restrictive at sea and while docked in foreign ports than they are in most US states. It must be a liability thing.

I don't think its a very good idea to order a drink from the bar and just hand it to your kid. But I think you could probably get away with bringing two drinks back to the privacy of your cabin and then letting your kid have one. I have nothing against it because as a Canadian we can drink at 18.

Edit - I'm sure you are aware if you are stopping in the Caribbean, your kid can drink pretty much everywhere off the ship. I wasn't ID'd once in the Carib and I have a "baby face" as told by a Vegas Pit Boss.

Edited by wmp.dll

I don't think its a very good idea to order a drink from the bar and just hand it to your kid. But I think you could probably get away with bringing two drinks back to the privacy of your cabin and then letting your kid have one. I have nothing against it because as a Canadian we can drink at 18.

Edit - I'm sure you are aware if you are stopping in the Caribbean, your kid can drink pretty much everywhere off the ship. I wasn't ID'd once in the Carib and I have a "baby face" as told by a Vegas Pit Boss.

Thanks wmp.dll. I figured if she wanted one she could definitely get it on the islands. When my husband and I were on a tour in Antigua the driver stopped for a refreshment break. He opened his cooler and handed everyone a beer and got back in the driver's seat. I asked if we were allowed to drink in the van as passengers while he's driving and he said "You're not in the US anymore. Sit back, drink and enjoy the ride!" I love the islands!

absolutely NO you may NOT purchase a drink for her or otherwise allow her to drink.

she is allowed in the bars at all hours.

She will be allowed in all but the dance club at night. You know the rules now by now on drinking so just be aware. Don't know if it would be strictly enforced but I doubt it would noticed much if it was one here and there in a busy place. That is from what I've seen in the past.

Edited by topnole

I'm sure you are aware if you are stopping in the Caribbean, your kid can drink pretty much everywhere off the ship...
I have no problem if your kid drinks in the islands, but be aware that the Guest Conduct Policy says

Parents and guardians are responsible for the behavior and appropriate supervision of their accompanying minor(s) and young adult(s) throughout their vacation.

further in this context it states

Any guest who goes ashore and consumes alcohol (whether under the supervision of a parent/guardian or not, is responsible for ensuring they consume responsibly and retain their ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations when they return to the ship. Parents/guardians are reminded they are responsible for the actions of their child/young adult at all times while on a Royal Caribbean International cruise vacation.

Basically this says that your kid may drink ashore, but if they come back overly drunk and rowdy [those are my words and interpretation], both the kid and the parents may be kicked off the ship. A little common sense, and there should be no problems.

She will be allowed in all but the dance club at night. You know the rules now by now on drinking so just be aware. Don't know if it would be strictly enforced but I doubt it would noticed much if it was one here and there in a busy place. That is from what I've seen in the past.

When did they raise the age? I thought the minimum age for ALL venues was 18.

I'm sure if they tossed off every parent that gave their child one drink, they would be losing a lot of passengers. I figure if my child can be in the military and give their life for their country, then they can have a drink. Either raise the age to 21 to go into the military and potentially die for your country, or lower the drinking age to 18.

you can do this in ohio as well.

as far as the cruise ship, i was on a Royal Caribbean and a Carnival ship when I was 19 and 20 and my entire family bought me drinks (aunts, uncles, parents). No one said a word, we didn't flaunt it, but didn't hide it. Don't act like an idiot and if they confront you, just say play dumb. They won't kick you off for this, if you get an attitude or get caught more than once, they might. i look very young for my age also.

on carnival I even used my dad's room key to buy drinks a few times. we have the same name. was only refused once and it was a polite decline and i said ok.

Edited by joekatie

I'm sure if they tossed off every parent that gave their child one drink, they would be losing a lot of passengers. I figure if my child can be in the military and give their life for their country, then they can have a drink. Either raise the age to 21 to go into the military and potentially die for your country, or lower the drinking age to 18.

Ah, now that's a really mature way of looking at things. Have you served in the military? Has your daughter? Guessing not - those who have know how to respect rules.

I believe they check ID for the nightclub as well. The Crypt I think it was called.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, it's the Crypt. There are also security guys at the entrance downstairs to check ID's and a guy at the opening upstairs checking them. These guys are strict, too.